Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Wakeboarding Discussion Archives > Archive through August 04, 2006

Old     (kneeboarddad)      Join Date: Sep 2005       07-07-2006, 6:35 PM Reply   
Dropped Austin off at the airport for Kelowna and Delta tried to hit him for oversized bag. Said it was waterskis which usually works but not this time. Austin talked his way through it but this also happened on Northwest at the MN stop. Has anyone else noticed this happening this summer?

I know the airlines have cut back the number of planes and flights which has resulted in very full flights. I am wondering if this has lead to a tightening of luggage rules or we just happen to hit the lottery with a couple of over zealous sky cabs. Usually a $10 tip keeps them happy.
Old     (wakedad33)      Join Date: Oct 2005       07-07-2006, 7:03 PM Reply   
Hi David, so far we have just used the "water ski equipment" story and no problems even at the Minn. stop, mostly fly Northwest. Good talking to you at Wake Games. You coming out for the Portland stop, always a good one. If Austin wants a pull on Friday before Portland have him talk to Alex this weekend.
Old     (rockledge)      Join Date: Sep 2005       07-07-2006, 7:48 PM Reply   
never have a problem . . . flown to Florida with a performance ski and surf bag loaded 4 times this year (That's 8 flights). Never had a funny glance. I suppose people think its golf clubs or something. I usually travel business class and am 35, so maybe i get the benefit of the doubt.

Flights have been on Air Tran, Delta, United and US Air.
Old     (kneeboarddad)      Join Date: Sep 2005       07-08-2006, 8:31 AM Reply   
Randy- Thanks but I don't think he gets in until late. July is a killer month with three tour stops and the photo shoot. A lot of air miles. Must be tough for a kid these days. They are enjoying it and if they aren't that's crazy.

I remember hearing Dicky V talking about these young NBA stars who always were complaining about things. He said here are these kids (teens and young 20s) doing what they love and playing a game, making millions of dollars, traveling the world and treated like royalty. And they act like they have been dealt this horrible hand in life when anything doesn't go there way. ITS CRAZY. Well wakeboarding on the PWT isn't quite like that but these guys and gals definitely are very blessed to do what they do. I know you guys appreciate it. I just highjacked my own thread.
Old     (melvinator)      Join Date: Apr 2001       07-08-2006, 9:52 AM Reply   
Tell them it is a snowboard, works every time. They don't charge for snow skis or snowboards. The people at the airline desk hear wakeboard and there is no category so they put it under "surfboard" which is usually like an $80 charge.
Old     (timmy)      Join Date: Jul 2001       07-08-2006, 10:31 AM Reply   
fly a lot, get medallion status, then they don't care anymore! haha, they let me check 3 bags with no extra fee, and overweight bags too
Old     (kslakebum)      Join Date: Jun 2006       07-08-2006, 11:06 AM Reply   
i have had to explain to the airlines that a surf board and a wakeboard are extremely different. then sometimes you get "this will not fit in the plane" then you have to ask them why it does every other time you have flown. i have also had them lose my wakeboard in flight along with the rest of our wakeboard/ski teams bags, thank god they found them the next day.
Old     (kneeboarddad)      Join Date: Sep 2005       07-08-2006, 1:43 PM Reply   
We know all the tricks (or most of them). FLown all over the world with a wakeboard the past 4 years but this just started happening. Maybe a coincidence. The guy in MN opened the bag to look inside and sent him to the counter. Never say wakeboard or surfboard to agents. Golf clubs, snow skis, snow bord usually work fine but not this time.
Old     (peter_c)      Join Date: Sep 2001       07-08-2006, 2:02 PM Reply   
When I looked it up for traveling, I found "trick skis" are listed as free. So I only travel with my single trick ski. They have looked it up before and then went oh yeah trick ski is on the approved list.
Old     (lmtwa)      Join Date: May 2001       07-08-2006, 4:13 PM Reply   
David
I think you're right - as airlines are trying to tighten revenue, this is becoming an issue. Just two weeks ago Shaun was leaving MCO for SAN and the agent at the counter (not outside) wanted to charge $80 - he explained that it wasn't a surfboard and two other agents went with him - but she insisted - after a bit of further "discussion" she let him pass. But I think this may be an indication of things to come. The problem with trying to get the airlines to include wakeboard in their policy manual, is that if after considering it - they decide not to grant the exemption, then we're out of luck as they educate their agents.
Old     (jason_ssr)      Join Date: Apr 2001       07-10-2006, 7:58 AM Reply   
Kiteboarding has the same issue, so they make board bags that say "GOLF" on the side and have that golf bag tapered look to it. It holds everything and you never get questioned.

Lloyd, tell Shaun to hit up Shannon Best over at www.bestkiteboarding.com. They sell this bag, and you never get questioned again:

Upload
Old     (lmtwa)      Join Date: May 2001       07-12-2006, 5:31 AM Reply   
Jason
That is TOO MUCH!! ROTFL
I'll pass that to Shaun. What a brilliant idea!! I haven't seen Shannon in a lot of years.
Old     (lmtwa)      Join Date: May 2001       07-12-2006, 5:35 AM Reply   
PS
I checked several carriers bag policy and I believe it was American (of Course) and UAL that first says there's an $80 charge and then has an exception (no charge) for any kiteboards or wakeboard (bag I guess) that's 62 inches or less.
Old     (kristian)      Join Date: Nov 2002       07-12-2006, 5:40 AM Reply   
personally over the years have used many excuses. Snowboard usually works well. I never say wakeboard........far to many questions. But now for some reason this next thing seems to sort out all problems. I have kept the same bag so far for 8 years, its been worn in well. its dirty and to be honest smelly. It really is kinda nasty and they just seem to not ask questions now and just get it out of the way quick.
Old     (jason_ssr)      Join Date: Apr 2001       07-12-2006, 6:36 AM Reply   
Lloyd, Im sure Shannon would love to hear from you guys, and might even talk you two into giving kiteboarding a shot! Its a whole new level of fun! Man, to think about what Shaun would be capable of on a kite is scary! Or maybe you should go learn it and roll back to Shaun's place and watch the superstar get 1up-ed by his old man in a big air contest.

(Message edited by jason_ssr on July 12, 2006)
Old     (fly135)      Join Date: Jun 2004       07-12-2006, 7:26 AM Reply   
Happened to me a couple years ago coming back from Texas Ski Ranch. No curbside checking, and I claimed they were waterskis at the desk. They wanted triple charge ($240) for an oversize bag (3 boards instead of the limit 2) insisting they were surfboard. It wouldn't have done any good to say they were wakeboards because they are treated the same as surfboards. They finally settled for regular charge $80. The bag was probably less than 30lbs (no boots in the bag).
Old     (lmtwa)      Join Date: May 2001       07-12-2006, 10:00 AM Reply   
Jason
That would be fun to try (or maybe I don't know enough to know what the chances are of getting bent.) And the chance of beating my son on the water is pretty remote - flying maybe - but not on the water. Say Hi to Shannon from me if you see him.
Old     (jason_ssr)      Join Date: Apr 2001       07-12-2006, 11:10 AM Reply   
Oh yeah! I forgot you were a pilot! Most people who struggle kiteboarding just dont understand how a wing works. You might know a little something about how moving air past a wing creates lift!! So you would find the concept behind it quite basic. A few sailing concepts (taching) and a little wakeboarding, and you got it!

You should both give it a go!