Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Wakeboarding Discussion Archives > Archive through May 22, 2006

Old     (t_brown)      Join Date: Feb 2006       05-11-2006, 12:42 PM Reply   
It seems that there are a lot of knee problems on the board lately. Is there something with the way we board or the stance that makes your knees more prone to injury? I have not had any issues with mine but would like to get a brace or something to prevent injury in the future.
Old     (mjfan23)      Join Date: Nov 2003       05-11-2006, 12:46 PM Reply   
I would not recommend a brace unless its needed. I was told when I sprained my ACL playing bball only wear a brace while you need it. Otherwise it will put uneeded strain on the other knee or both knees. Thats at least what ive been told.
Old     (t_brown)      Join Date: Feb 2006       05-11-2006, 12:57 PM Reply   
ok, I guess I can understand that. are most of this knee issues from other sports and not from wakeboarding. I know you can hurt yourself doing any sport but with your feet locked in one position, it seems unlikely that you would hurt your knees from wakeboarding.
Old     (rockledge)      Join Date: Sep 2005       05-11-2006, 1:02 PM Reply   
This has to be a joke . . . right?
Old     (mjfan23)      Join Date: Nov 2003       05-11-2006, 1:05 PM Reply   
The constant punishment from landing hard out in the flats or whatever is what kills my knees.
Old     (t_brown)      Join Date: Feb 2006       05-11-2006, 1:13 PM Reply   
Why does this have to be a JOKE???? Are you a joke?
Old     (plooky)      Join Date: Mar 2006       05-11-2006, 1:16 PM Reply   
when you hit the water hard and a foot comes out of 1 binding leaving the board to twist whichever way gravity tells it that'll do the job.
Old     (t_brown)      Join Date: Feb 2006       05-11-2006, 1:20 PM Reply   
I see. I am not to the level were I am getting that much air so that is why I asked the question. I have not had the board come off as of yet but it makes sense. thanks!
Old     (rockledge)      Join Date: Sep 2005       05-11-2006, 1:22 PM Reply   
I kid you not when I tell you the chance for serious knee injuries is very high in this sport.

Good luck!
Old     (wakebordr11)      Join Date: May 2001       05-11-2006, 1:37 PM Reply   
get your legs strong and worry less about the knees... thats my philosophy anyways
Old     (treycleaton)      Join Date: Mar 2005       05-11-2006, 7:15 PM Reply   
Do your research, it is well accepted that any boardsport involving bindings is very stressfull on the knees. And no, I had no prior knee problems, worked out four days a week to stay strong, and I still blew my knee out on a stupid WTW jump of all things! So don't doubt or kid yourself that wakeboarding has not caused many of these knee injuries that you read about on this forum.
Old    buckettim            05-11-2006, 8:01 PM Reply   
Well i quit racing dirt bikes because of my left knee, and oddly enough i pick up wakeboarding right after it and had never had a problem with my knee all summer long....but racing was killing my knee, but the comment Eric made about un-needed strain on one knee if you dont need it is true, when i frist screwed my left knee up in high school after x amount of times getting blood and fluid drained out of it i was using my right leg (knee) more, adding more pressure and i devolpt more problems with my right also...There is no real your more prone to knee injuries wakeboard, snowboarding, dirt bikes, basketball, or what ever its the luck of the draw you land wrong, take a wrong step, or anything and it is the right condition your knee will give and good bye ACL, PCL or what ever your lucky enough to tear, strain or pull. In wakeboarding i havn't heard or read anything about people wearing CTI braces or any other hinge brace and breaking there tib/fib or femur, but i have heard of it in motocross when my friend was recovering from ACL surgery and wearing a CTI brace while riding crashed and broke his femur because of the brace not giving away around his knee....
Old     (kylielogan)      Join Date: Apr 2006       05-11-2006, 9:16 PM Reply   
If it makes you feel any better, I wakeboard, ski, snowboard (barely, but I'm trying), work out, & mountain bike (on a single speed) - all pretty tough sports - but last summer I broke my foot and ended up w/a 3" plate in it by stepping off a curb . . . in flat shoes . . . while sober. Go figure.

Oh - and my knee surgeries? The result of landing wrong while doing ballet.

(Message edited by kylielogan on May 11, 2006)
Old     (ozwest)      Join Date: May 2006       05-15-2006, 11:49 AM Reply   
As with every sport, proper training always pays off. I use the Balance360 Board and it keeps me in good shape as well as prevents injuries. Check it out at: www.balance360.com The one I use is the larger board as I surf as well as wakeboard. It's a bit of an investment but pays for itself and it's easy and fun to use. Much better than other trainers.
Old     (kylielogan)      Join Date: Apr 2006       05-15-2006, 11:57 AM Reply   
How does the balance360 compare to an Indo board? I've used an Indo, so I'm curious. Thanks!
Old     (fly135)      Join Date: Jun 2004       05-15-2006, 11:59 AM Reply   
Todd, I don't think you need a knee brace. Just take it easy out there. The worst advice is "go big or go home". Those are the guys with the fubar'd knees. I'm 50 and have been riding for 10+ years. No problem with the knees at all.

Apparently wakeskates are prone to causing knee injurys because both legs are not locked in to the board. Also make sure that your stance is comfortable and not putting stress on your knees. Don't go with a wide stance just because you see others with one. Make your stance only as wide as feels right.
Old     (ozwest)      Join Date: May 2006       05-15-2006, 12:03 PM Reply   
I find it to be much better than the Indo board. I used that before this one. On the Balance360 Board here's a ball that rotates around in a circle and it makes the board move every which way it can. It doesn't just go back and forth like the Indo board. Both are fun in their own ways...I just get more out of the Balance360 Board and it feels much more fluid like water. Be sure to work your way up though. Trying the advanced ball on concrete can mess you up if you're not up to that level yet. It was well worth the investment and I saw immediate results. Within a week my balance improved and different muscle groups were worked out that the Indo Board didn't quite get to.
Old     (kylielogan)      Join Date: Apr 2006       05-15-2006, 6:43 PM Reply   
M - thanks for the info. I'm a klutz, so I think I'd better stick with the Indo awhile longer!