Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Wakeboarding Discussion Archives > Archive through May 22, 2006

Old     (bflat53212)      Join Date: Mar 2003       05-11-2006, 5:36 AM Reply   
Anybody know if his condition has improved?

What I know:
Robert was skateboarding at the pwt and hit his head hard. Had to be taken in for surgery to relieve the pressure on his brain which induced a coma. Scary, scary situation. Get well soon kid!
Old     (lmtwa)      Join Date: May 2001       05-11-2006, 10:20 AM Reply   
Yesterday I read an email that was from a "good source". He is apparently doing much better and his surgery was succesful. He's out of ICU and will be released and brought to an Orlando hospital (may be there already).
Old     (tcluv85)      Join Date: Jan 2004       05-11-2006, 10:48 AM Reply   
Lloyd, how is Shaun feeling. This PWT stop was hard on the pros it sounds like, on the water and off.
Old     (bflat53212)      Join Date: Mar 2003       05-11-2006, 12:06 PM Reply   
Thanks for the update Lloyd. Sounds like Shaun is getting slowly back to normal, I saw a post from him earlier, that's great. Even though it was a terrible accident, it must make you proud to see the kind of impact Shaun has made on the wakeboarding community, through the outpouring of support you have seen on this site. Take care.
Old    r_dub            05-11-2006, 12:19 PM Reply   
WOW, "induced a coma", that is some scary stuff!
I hope he makes it out of this ok.
Old     (lmtwa)      Join Date: May 2001       05-11-2006, 5:19 PM Reply   
BSflower - Shaun appears much better today. He was just here and looks and sounds 100% better.

Steve. - It is good to see the response..thanks

Ryan - you are definately right about "scary" - it's really tough watching your kid through one of these situations. We are all praying for Robert!
Old     (wake_upppp)      Join Date: Nov 2003       05-11-2006, 6:00 PM Reply   
I guess Soven was not wearing a helmet? Or was he.
Old     (wakehype)      Join Date: Dec 2002       05-11-2006, 7:29 PM Reply   
My prayers go out to the Sovens and there friends. I hope he recovers well. As for Shaun, I hope you are doing well man! Take care.
Old     (jwr)      Join Date: Jan 2006       05-11-2006, 8:38 PM Reply   
Yeah, I was wondering the same about the helmet, I hope he's alright too, a comma doesn't sound like fun. Glad to hear Shaun is doing better too.
Old     (wakeworld)      Join Date: Jan 1997       05-11-2006, 8:43 PM Reply   
This is from an email I got from Robert's dad this evening...

"Robert unfortunately suffered an extreme significant head injury while skateboarding. While he usually wears a helmet, on this one occassion he wasn't wearing one and while going down a small hill apparently hit a crack in the sidewalk and crashed. He suffered a fractured skull with multiple intracranial bleeds (subarachnoid bleed, epidural bleed, and subdural bleed). After emergency surgery, he was unresponsive and required ventilator assistance for 24 hours and finally woke up 36 hours after surgery. After 5 days in the hospital Robert was discharged today. He still has significant headaches and nausea and some mild short term memory loss. Unfortunately all of this could have been prevented had he worn his helmet but hopefully will have full recovery in 2-3 weeks although he will miss the rest of the school year recovering and will not be allowed to have any sporting involvement for 2 months. Thanks for everyone's prayers and concerns. Wayne Soven"
Old     (smylie)      Join Date: Jun 2002       05-11-2006, 9:30 PM Reply   
thats a bummer to hear, Robert has some mad riding ability. Saw him at nationals last year and he killed it. Get well soon Robert.
Old     (jhilltn)      Join Date: Jul 2004       05-12-2006, 12:12 AM Reply   
Thanks for that Dave. I know a lot of people were probably wondering.