Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through May 25, 2007

Old     (mucktoerider)      Join Date: Jan 2007       05-16-2007, 8:15 AM Reply   
Just curious if anyone has an inside scoop on any new technology that might be a fuel savings for boats in the near future. I know that it was the boating industry in the 70's that started fuel injection. automotive might have invented it, but it was marine that pushed it first. So I am wondering if the same will happen with fuel cells, or diesel hybrids. Etc. etc. Post it but don't put yourself in trouble if it is sensitive information. THX!
Old     (yosquire)      Join Date: Jun 2005       05-16-2007, 9:58 AM Reply   
The Anchor.
Old     (hal2814)      Join Date: Feb 2006       05-16-2007, 10:04 AM Reply   
Marine pushing fuel injection first? It was well into the 90's when fuel injection started becoming common in new boats. By that time, it was almost impossible to find fuel injected autos. You can still get new carbed boats.

Don't take this the wrong way but the wakeboard community is quite the pariah when it comes to fuel savings. Inboard engines and tons of ballast cost a lot more in fuel than something like EFI can make up for.
Old     (masonwakerider)      Join Date: May 2003       05-16-2007, 10:39 AM Reply   
Diesels are available in Mastercrafts and Session boats, if you rode weighted down a lot you would probaly help your gph. Plus diesel is $0.40 cheaper then regular in WA right now.
Old     (ccwhite)      Join Date: Jul 2004       05-16-2007, 10:46 AM Reply   
I saw something at my local car repair shop that claimed it added up to %12 to fuel economy. I can't remember its name, but it was a simple copper tube with some kind of mesh screen in the middle.

Something like that might have some kind of application
Old     (seansmitty42)      Join Date: Apr 2006       05-16-2007, 10:56 AM Reply   
lmao @ the anchor
Old     (peter_c)      Join Date: Sep 2001       05-16-2007, 11:14 AM Reply   
Oh yeah, the magnet thingy works great. They clamp around the fuel line and can improve fuel economy up to 18%, by aligning the fuel atoms. Plus they cost less than $50.

Diesel fuel is the future. Anyone know what the emission requirements are going to be for marine diesels?
Old     (bmartin)      Join Date: Jan 2007       05-16-2007, 11:24 AM Reply   
I read this about 9-12 months ago so the details are sketchy from my memory, but there is a new propulsion system. Basically it is a steerable drive mounted under the boat like an inboard. That means no rudder to steer, undisturbed water is the first thing to hit the prop and a more efficient prop angle. They report a 10-20% fuel savings with the same size engine and hull. They have been using this type of drive in cruise ships for a while to steer them sideways, but some of the pleasure boat manufacturers are starting to pick up on them but do not think any of the inboard manufacturers are investing in it.

I read this in the Boat U.S. newsletter, my insurance carrier. Someone might know more details.

Also Toyota boats, no longer available new, used a Lexus engine that had significant gas savings but that is old news.

(Message edited by bmartin on May 16, 2007)
Old     (fbroen)      Join Date: Apr 2002       05-16-2007, 11:40 AM Reply   
I think you mean these Volvo drives?

Upload
Old     (jon4pres)      Join Date: May 2004       05-16-2007, 11:42 AM Reply   
The Paddle.

If you are serious about saving gas dont go to the lake. If you are semi-serious about saving gas get a smaller more efficient boat - toyota, san, nautique 2001, vtx?? or dont run a bunch of ballast

Boats are not very efficient anyway but if you have a big boat with a ton of weight in it of couse they are really going to suck gas.
Old     (rallyart)      Join Date: Nov 2006       05-16-2007, 12:22 PM Reply   
The Pod drive like those Volvos are going to be the next change in inboards for wake. It will happen before diesel becomes popular. IMO.
The problem is that it's a big investment for whoever designs it first and even Malibu and Mastercraft don't qualify as 'big' boat companies.

(Message edited by rallyart on May 16, 2007)
Old     (rallyart)      Join Date: Nov 2006       05-16-2007, 12:24 PM Reply   
Oh, and none of the 'magnet' or 'ion' gadgets do anything, in anyway, to save gas or give you power.
Old     (jon4pres)      Join Date: May 2004       05-16-2007, 12:33 PM Reply   
It looks to me like another problem is goint to be how deep they sit in the water.

Do those drives have trim to the as well?
Old     (jayc)      Join Date: Sep 2002       05-16-2007, 12:34 PM Reply   
The best fuel saving device is losing all your ballast unless you absolutely need it. Ever tried riding with no ballast? Its not all that bad and will save you loads.

Any other fuel saving device is just snake oil.
Old     (evil0ne)      Join Date: Sep 2006       05-16-2007, 1:04 PM Reply   
MerCruiser Zeus
Volvo IPS

Using a joystick instead of a wheel might take some getting used to. The Mercruiser version states that it has built in trim.

(Message edited by evil0ne on May 16, 2007)
Old     (bmartin)      Join Date: Jan 2007       05-16-2007, 1:40 PM Reply   
FP and Evilone - yep that is exactly what I was trying to describe. It will be interesting to see if and when some fundamental change like this will hit tow boats. Recently all the inovation, save the pickle fork hull, has been focussed on cramming more bling into the boats. Oh wait they have racks that will pivot now.
Old     (masonwakerider)      Join Date: May 2003       05-16-2007, 7:36 PM Reply   
The volvo ips is great, but i wouldnt really want one on my ski boat. How are you supposed to trailer with one of those hanging down. (they hang down pretty far) It would probaly really screw up the wake shape too. Also the volvo version only comes with 300 500 or 600hp deisels. So the cost of the diesel upgrade plus a the cost of that high tech drive, would send prices out of my reach.
The VW diesel that is available in Mastercrafts sounds like the future to me. An Audi diesel powered car won La Mans and Audi and VW use the same technology. 3.6l with 500lb/ft of torque. Run it on a Bio blend and you dont have to worry about emission.
Old     (malibuboarder75)      Join Date: Jan 2004       05-16-2007, 7:44 PM Reply   
Honestly, unless you are going for raleys, ballast isnt needed. You can learn all of the basic 360s and inverts with an unweighted boat. People trying to learn 360s with 3000lbs of ballast are only going to tear an ACL.
Old     (mucktoerider)      Join Date: Jan 2007       05-17-2007, 4:55 AM Reply   
I have heard hydrogen fuel cells might be the answer. A two tank system. first stage a pellet type tablet you throw in the tank mixes with oxygen and water (taken from the lake...might have an intake like a jet boat is my guess)Combined makes a hydrogen gas(like propane) which is stored and compressed in the next tank( a 3" carbon fiber insulated fuel tank) then it is burned in the engine...pretty close to what our combustion engine is now. Exhaust is only water vapor in the end. The effect on lakes and water levels is nill. So this would be cool. But I saw the break down for the tech, it would be very expensive. But all in all it might make sense anyway since our sport is pricey to begin with. On average we would pay around 18 to 20% more if we were to purchase a boat that uses H3O from todays current prices. The tablets cost very little. $25 a bag of 20(20 fills) No more fueling at the pump. Environmentalist should be happy...less CO2 and less chance of fuel spills during refueling in the water. Government would hate it because they would lose money though. Just some thoughts that I heard from an engineer working at a well known boat company. (a non wake and ski boat company...but non the less, it will spread quickly if it ever happens)
Old     (epic1)      Join Date: Oct 2006       05-17-2007, 11:02 AM Reply   
takes more energy to produce hydrogen than it can create. Get a diesel, invest in a bio diesel kit, and tell the gas companys to screw off...
Old     (b_rad_b)      Join Date: Apr 2007       05-17-2007, 11:21 AM Reply   
The Mythbusters tested all sorts of add-on devices to see if any would improve milage in cars and nothing they tried worked. I agree with what's already been said: Wakeboarding is an expensive hobby, but I think we would all agree that the gas cost is worth it.
Old     (dbdb)      Join Date: Oct 2005       05-17-2007, 11:45 AM Reply   
Scott
If what you are saying is true...I would have no problem paying an extra 18-20% for a boat that you only paid $1.25 to fill up. Infact, I am ready to put a down payment on one now. A $45,000 boat would cost $54,000 at 20% more. So, from your source...how long till we actually hear from a well known boat company about this? I am really hoping its true!