Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles

Old     (alcarlaw1)      Join Date: Jun 2007       07-02-2013, 1:31 PM Reply   
I am considering looking at an 02 x-star with approx 1000hrs which has seen salt water use.

It has the closed cooling 5.7 MPI engine so my guess the main area to look at is the exhaust manifolds. A compression test has been done with no bad readings. Any other aspects of the engine to check?

I would plan to replace the steering cable if not already done so recently. Will also check condition of brassware and hull to determine if it has spent any real time in the water. Also look for damage to anodised parts.

All vinyl has been replaced, carpets original however.

Any aspects of the electronics to check or potentially weak?

Trailer is galvanised, however all brakes, bearings etc have been replaced.

Thanks
Old    kx250frider617            07-02-2013, 5:21 PM Reply   
Our boat is practically 100% used in salt water. The things I have seen that become a problem is the trailer but yours is galvanized, the manifolds, the upholstery, and powder coated surfaces. Also, the steering cable. I would look at the motor mounts, tranny, v-drive and see how rusted they are. It'll tell you how full the bilge has been with salt water. Surprisingly, the only part I have had to replace due to salt water would be my manifolds and risers. However, I think the closed cooling mastercrafts only need to worry about the risers. Electronics wise, it should all be fine.
Old     (supra24ssv)      Join Date: Mar 2006       07-02-2013, 5:29 PM Reply   
a very very good deal
Old     (chpthril)      Join Date: Oct 2007       07-02-2013, 5:59 PM Reply   
outboard motors
Old     (Camsquared211)      Join Date: Jun 2013       07-02-2013, 8:12 PM Reply   
Salt water can leak in through the manifold and rust the valves
Old     (srock)      Join Date: Mar 2002       07-03-2013, 8:13 AM Reply   
I wonder where this will eventually go? I take that back, I already know.