Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles

Old     (2004gravitygames)      Join Date: Mar 2011       04-18-2012, 10:16 AM Reply   
Just got this boat a few months ago I have paid a professional to buff it looked amazing
when it was done now the red is starting to be cloudy and chalky is there anything I can
do without paying some one again someone told me to use pledge it worked is the crazy
thing but it doesn't seem like it would last ? I went to a auto body supply house and bought
a compound and polish did it by hand and it didn't do anything its just kinda crazy that you
can wipe pledge on and off and it works but using elbow grease with a compound and
wax doesn't do anything please help looking to add decals but don't want to until it is right !

Photobucket
Old     (Fourspeednup)      Join Date: Apr 2010       04-18-2012, 10:49 AM Reply   
Even though our Boat Bling products focus on maintenance as opposed to restoration I get this scenario emailed to me on a weekly basis.

Unfortunately it is very easy to "mask" faded, oxidized gelcoat by a good buff job using a minimally abrasive compound. The issue is that it does not last. Pledge or any other oil based product will accomplish the same effect masking over the issue until it wears off.

The correct way to fix the issue is to colorsand through the oxidized layer of gel then polish back out to a shine. This will expose fresh, undamaged gelcoat. Once complete be sure to maintain it with a good coat or two of quality wax.

The nice thing about gelcoat vs paint is that it is very thick so removing a small amount of material when colorsanding is nothing to worry about.

Good luck!

zack@boatbling.net
Old     (polarbill)      Join Date: Jun 2003       04-18-2012, 11:04 AM Reply   
Damn, that is a sick looking boat with that color combo and all shined up. I dont' have any advice but I hope you get it figured out because that boat looks sick.
Old     (2004gravitygames)      Join Date: Mar 2011       04-18-2012, 11:22 AM Reply   
Zack thanks for the advice I am a little hesitant about putting sand paper on my boat I bought some I got 1000,1500,2000 I guess I will try it out
and hope for the best is that something that I could do or should I pay a professional to do it !

Brett thanks for the comments I agree on the color combo I wasn't really a fan of the red until I saw this boat I am so far happy with her she has
60hrs the previous owner didn't take very good care of her cosmetically but Im getting her all fixed up I purchased the big chrome 3D "SUPRA"
logos like what comes on the 2012 I can't wait to put them on but I don't want to untill I get it shined up properly and Im adding some other
graphics I will post picks as soon as it gets done !
Old     (sippi)      Join Date: Dec 2007       04-18-2012, 11:34 AM Reply   
I'm with Brett. I can't help ya on the problem, but that boat is fine!!!

On a side note. I, myself, would pay someone to do it just because i wouldn't want to mess anything up. If you get someone to do it right, it should last!
Old     (jonblarc7)      Join Date: Jul 2006       04-18-2012, 11:59 AM Reply   
I have the same boat diffrent color. I keep mine out side all year and every spring I use compound and polish to bringit back to a good shine. Doing it by hand will get you nowhere you need to go to harbor frieght and get a cheap buffer. I use 3m compound, some kind of polish and then wax. I don't think yours is bad enough to use sand paper yet. Search how to compound and buffet your gel coat on here.
Old     (Fourspeednup)      Join Date: Apr 2010       04-18-2012, 12:33 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2004gravitygames View Post
Zack thanks for the advice I am a little hesitant about putting sand paper on my boat I bought some I got 1000,1500,2000 I guess I will try it out
and hope for the best is that something that I could do or should I pay a professional to do it !

Brett thanks for the comments I agree on the color combo I wasn't really a fan of the red until I saw this boat I am so far happy with her she has
60hrs the previous owner didn't take very good care of her cosmetically but Im getting her all fixed up I purchased the big chrome 3D "SUPRA"
logos like what comes on the 2012 I can't wait to put them on but I don't want to untill I get it shined up properly and Im adding some other
graphics I will post picks as soon as it gets done !
Color sanding is scary at 1st as there's no turning back once you've started but really not that difficult. Polishing it out afterward is much more time consuming. The end result is very rewarding though!

My favorite product for bringing back the shine after color sanding is Buff Magic by Yacht Bright. Most West Coast custom boat manufacturers use this on brand new hulls out of the mold.

If you decide to DIY I'd start with the 1500, follow with 2000 then go to town with the buffer. There are a number of online tutorials available.

That's a really cool looking, timeless color scheme. Once the gel is cleaned up it will literally look brand new.
Old     (2004gravitygames)      Join Date: Mar 2011       04-18-2012, 12:41 PM Reply   
Blair you said that is doesn't look bad enough yet to colorsand but pictures can be decieving I promise you
that it needs it I think I have talked my self into getting it done professionally I just hate to be without the boat
this time of year I only konw of one place locally that is qualifed to do it and there shop is in a very sketchy location
not happy about leaving it overnight at there place
Old     (jonblarc7)      Join Date: Jul 2006       04-18-2012, 6:41 PM Reply   
Well at least read this post Grant goes way past what most humans would do but he always has very informative post. You could just start at the compound and not wet sand I would think it worth a try. I wet sanded my 95 supersport right before I sold it and the guy that bought it couldn't believe he could see his reflection in a 15 year old boat.

http://www.wakeworld.com/forum/showthread.php?t=282492
Old     (Raf1985)      Join Date: Mar 2012       04-18-2012, 8:22 PM Reply   
I wet sanded my black 1989 before putting it up for sale. I hit it up with 1500 grit really quick and then the polish. Looks like brand new.
Old     (malibu23lsv)      Join Date: Feb 2012       04-19-2012, 3:54 AM Reply   
All gelcoat will dull out over time and speed up the more it's in the sun. Especially once the mold surface is broke...meaning it's been sanded on or buffed and the original outside surface is removed (and almost every boat is from the factory), it will be a regular maintenance item for the life of the boat. You shouldn't have to wet sand your boat. A good buffing compound, polish and someone that knows what they are doing can shine it up. Find a good gelcoat repair shop or you can learn to do it yourself but it takes patience, time and practice. That 24 SSV is a great looking boat!