Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through August 27, 2003

Old    nj0024            08-07-2003, 9:04 PM Reply   
Had my first prop mishap tonight. Going about 5mph in 4 ft of water with my 97 Sport Nautique and heard a thud. The boat seemingly ran fine (no vibrations, etc) for the 3 or so hours that we were out there.

Got home and realized that there's about a 45% bend about a quarter to half inch long on the tip of one of the 4 blades.

I know that this could eventually lead to other problems but is this something that I should get fixed ASAP (I've got about 10 people coming to hit up the lake this weekend)? Can I bend this back myself? What's the best way?? Is it even worth trying myself or should I just get it to a prop shop?

I'm somewhat of a rookie when it comes to stuff like this, but believe me, I'm learning how many problems a guy can have. Frustrated.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated!
Old    samills            08-07-2003, 9:20 PM Reply   
Prop shop, it has to be balanced. Dont do it your self. Its a good reason to have a spare. You may be able to rent one from the prop shop or another marine store.

(Message edited by samills on August 07, 2003)
Old    nj0024            08-07-2003, 9:44 PM Reply   
Will using it for about 5-6 hours on this weekend do any additional damage? Like I said, it's about a 45% bend on the tip of one of the 4 blades that's about a 1/4 inch long. I guess I'm definitely going to take it somewhere to get fixed (and yes, I'll buy another prop now), but what kind of odds are there on doing significant damage if I use it for a few hours this weekend?

By the way...thanks for the reply Scott.

(Message edited by nj0024 on August 07, 2003)
Old    samills            08-07-2003, 10:02 PM Reply   
Just think about something spinning at several thousand RPM's that is out of balance. Like a washing machine, when it is not balanced it will clunk and make a hell of a racket and possibly damage your machine. I am thinking possible damage to the transmission and or the prop shaft strut, but I am not an expert call a prop shop tomorrow and get a professional opinion.
Old    turtle            08-08-2003, 12:31 AM Reply   
You should go ahead and get a strut on order, you will need it. Repair the prop
Old     (elmog)      Join Date: Nov 2002       08-08-2003, 5:45 AM Reply   
A good prop shop will allow the use of their prop puller and I know the shop closest to me would more than likely have a prop on the shelf that would fit all of major inboards. I wonder if could inquire with them if you could use a 'loaner' while yours is in the shop or maybe rent one? Would be worth asking in your situation if you didn't want to buy a spare.
Old    nj0024            08-08-2003, 5:52 AM Reply   
So if it's something I can't get fixed or find a replacement by tomorrow then is it NOT worth taking out for 1/2 day or so on Saturday due to the potential to cause serious problems because of the imbalance?

And is a prop puller necessary? What's the benefit of using one versus taking the prop off without one? I'm a rookie to some of this stuff...

Thanks again

(Message edited by nj0024 on August 08, 2003)
Old    extremegreen            08-08-2003, 7:11 AM Reply   
You will almost certainly need a prop puller ($$$) - the prop gets pretty tight on the shaft. The first time I took mine off I needed to use quite a bit of muscle on the puller. Loosen but don't completely remove the nut, this will keep the prop from hitting on the ground when it comes loose. Also, don't forget to get a replacement cotter pin.
Old     (troyl)      Join Date: Feb 2002       08-08-2003, 7:51 AM Reply   
Call around and you might be able to find a "take off" prop at your dealer or at a prop store. Something used you can keep as a backup. Buy a prop puller and switch it out tonight. Your good to go for the weekend and you will have a spare for the next time this happens. You should be able to get a used prop and puller for under $300. Or better yet, upgrade to a new ACME!

The other thing I have done on while on a trip, is work with some hand tools and a file to get the prop back into shape. If its a really small nick as you say, you might really be able to fix it for a weekend of running. Not really recomended though, as the smallest vibration can smoke your strut bushing.
Old     (johns)      Join Date: Sep 2000       08-08-2003, 9:25 AM Reply   
Neil, I just went throught the same thing. Was idleing very slowly in 2-4ft channel of water all day and on the way home strayed off course just a bit got in ver shallow water and hit a tree/stump. It manage to put a small wave in one blade and bent another just a bit. Not sure if it is as bas as yours. I did not have any vibration after the fact and ran my damaged prop for two weeks until I had a chance to get a new one.

I called Acme(great guy, Tom helped me) and got a new stock size prop sent. He can tell you what was stock and some other options for your boat. One note, you WILL need a real prop puller!! I got talked into a harmonic prop puller by Tom @ Acme(great guy but this is something you do not need) for $30 and is a total waste of money in my opinion. Call SkiDim and get an OJ Prop puller @ $60. It looks just like a gear puller. You would not believe how tight the prop is on the shaft. I though I was going to break the prop puller as I was using an extra large cresent to torque the prop puller down. What I did was tighten and then tap the end of the puller screw with a hammer, tighten some more and tap again. Remember to keep your prop nut on the shaft because when the prop pops loose it will scare the shiatt out of you.

After swapping out for the new prop, I sent my bent prop in for repair($90)to keep as a spare. BTW, it almost looks like a brand new prop after the repair.

Old     (srock)      Join Date: Mar 2002       08-08-2003, 11:20 AM Reply   
I tested a couple props in the past. Sometimes the prop could be easily tapped loose. Try it, you might get lucky.

BTW - ACME makes a great wheel.
Old    clint_h            08-08-2003, 12:15 PM Reply   
Prop puller - Instead of buying a puller you can probably go to your local Autozone or other auto shop and rent a puller. A small flywheel puller or a steering wheel puller will do the trick!
Old    deltahoosier            08-08-2003, 12:31 PM Reply   
I had a bent tip on one of my blades before and we just took a adjustable wrench (cresent wrench) and put it on the bend section and bent it back and hit the water. If your shaft is not bent, you should be fine if you are in a bind, but, I would have it looked at and see what the experts say.
Old     (dizzyj)      Join Date: Jul 2003       08-08-2003, 2:06 PM Reply   
Just got my prop back from the shop. 3 day turnaround and $100. They loaned me a puller to use.
Old     (gvb)      Join Date: May 2003       08-09-2003, 12:41 PM Reply   
Don't buy a puller unless you've got money to burn. I'd rather spend the $80 on something else, so I built one using these instructions:

http://www.alberg37.org/Newsletters/Vol13-no2-Spring-2003/vol-13-no2-Spring-2003.htm

Worked perfect.

-gvb