Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through April 09, 2008

Old     (clubmyke)      Join Date: Aug 2004       04-07-2008, 8:57 AM Reply   
anyone have experience towing with a V8 4runner ?
they are rated to tow 7k (4wd).

i am looking for midsized tow vehicle with decent mileage.

thanks,

mike
Old     (lovin_the_wake)      Join Date: Jul 2007       04-07-2008, 9:26 AM Reply   
the only problem is that they have coils in the rear and over time it will start to sag or at least mine did
Old     (trbenj)      Join Date: Mar 2008       04-07-2008, 2:25 PM Reply   
I have a '07 4Runner (Sport V8, 4WD) and it tows my Ski Nautique beautifully. Power and brakes are both terrific.

Gas mileage is not too bad- I average ~19 or so during the summer with 90% highway driving. Not bad for a full time 4wd V8 SUV. I suffer a 3mpg penalty in the winter with the colder temps and different blend of gas here in the northeast.
Old     (mars)      Join Date: Aug 2005       04-08-2008, 8:35 AM Reply   
Tried one... wound up having to get rid of it at great expense to move to a full size truck. We averaged about 16-17mpg city/highway mix and are not fast drivers.
The 7K limit is ONLY with a weight dist hitch. In my opinon there is not enough starch in the suspension and the brakes are not up to the task of heavier towing. This was not an issue on around town towing to the local ramp. Towing on the highway was just plain scary. We tow about 6K total on a surge braked tandem trailer.
Old     (greenspirit_hydro)      Join Date: May 2007       04-08-2008, 9:44 AM Reply   
I have an 06 4 runner V8 w/ 2 wheel drive. I tow an 07 x-star full of gas w/ easy! Everyone online told me not to do it or get a weight distribution hitch. Took the truck to a shop that only installs hitches and the owner told me non-sense! Those trucks are made to tow. Just make sure you have the 10,000lb hitch that should have come w/ the V8 and drive carefully with plenty of breaking room.
Old     (greenspirit_hydro)      Join Date: May 2007       04-08-2008, 9:48 AM Reply   
Forgot to mention that when I bought my x-star I had never driven a boat, much less towed one. I picked the boat up in FL and towed 9 hrs back to SC usually running 70 mph on the hwy. No problems what so ever, nothing to worry about!
Old     (billy2603)      Join Date: Mar 2007       04-08-2008, 9:52 AM Reply   
My boat has been towed by an '07 2wd V8 4Runner many times - never had a problem.
Old     (santa)      Join Date: Jun 2004       04-08-2008, 10:27 AM Reply   
I had a 2003 4-Runner V8 Limited. it was a beautiful truck, powerful and quiet. it had no problem pulling our 3,500lb Mobius and single-axle trailer.

BUT when I changed boat to a CC SV-211 on a tandem axle trailer, we almost killed the poor truck. In particular, the gas shocks blew up twice (which cost about 1,000$ to fix each time). The truck had problems pulling at higher speeds (over 110 km/h) and drank gasoline like a college student drinks beer.

We ended up selling the 4-Runner and lost a lot of money doing so. We bought a Pathfinder, and this time we were careful to choose a base model without gas shocks.

I don't think they're bad trucks, it probaby had something to do with it being the first year of the new model, so maybe some wrinkles had to be ironed out...
Old     (whitlecj)      Join Date: Apr 2004       04-08-2008, 1:26 PM Reply   
I agree they are great trucks, but I am not sure they are cutout to pull a wake boat. I would also be very concerned about stopping with a vehicle that size should your trailer breaks lock up on a wet road.
Old     (liquidlite)      Join Date: Sep 2007       04-08-2008, 6:42 PM Reply   
i tow my 07 mobius lsv with my 06 V8 4 runner....its a tank and tows like a dream. got the back up camera on there too