Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Wakeboarding Discussion Archives > Archive through October 30, 2005

Old     (socalwakepunk)      Join Date: Dec 2002       10-07-2005, 3:41 PM Reply   
Had a rib pop out on me today after a mild crash. It's O.K. when I'm still, but quite painful when I move sometimes. Anyone else go though this (C-Stack), care to share what to expect? Appreciate any advice on recovery (how long, anything help) - Jeff
Old     (wakeparent)      Join Date: Jan 2005       10-07-2005, 3:55 PM Reply   
OOOUCH!!!!, hope your ok....
Old     (big_xstar)      Join Date: Nov 2004       10-07-2005, 4:23 PM Reply   
Yep.. did that at a scal comp 1 1/2 ago.. As I remember it does suck to move or cough or laugh..
Unfortunatly there is nothing they can do, just takes time... At least yuo will have a kewl little bump from the cartilidge healing..
Should take about 4-6 weeks to be 100%
Hope you feel better soon Jeff..
Did you crack the rib, or the cartilidge?

(Message edited by big x-star on October 07, 2005)
Old     (mattyboyr6)      Join Date: Jul 2003       10-07-2005, 4:39 PM Reply   
Did it a few years ago. Not sure if I broke ribs or seperated. Doctor 6 months later when I had them checked said I most likely broke 'em. I was riding my street bike (slowly) approx 1 month after. Out on the water 3 months later. Still hurt to get hugs or have a gal lay on/next to me for probably 8mnths to a yr.

Happened doinng a backroll. Well coming up short on a backroll. But I learned if a girl EVER tell you "You got to go bigger." Just tell her to piss off.
Old     (mjmurphy53711)      Join Date: Mar 2004       10-07-2005, 4:53 PM Reply   
i broke and seperated a low rib this on july 15 and started riding again around august 20th. In my case the rib never reattached and moves around a bit on some good crashes, still is a bit sore from time to time, and i can squish it around a bit.

Get used to it, and watch out for the hiccups.....worst pain you will ever go through. Good luck.......

www.wakecoupons.com
Old     (teamvaldez)      Join Date: Apr 2003       10-07-2005, 5:11 PM Reply   
Ah Jeff, so sorry to hear that, make sure that you take it easy even after the pain goes away for awhile. I popped a rib and then after it didn't hurt to breath,thought it was healed and popped it back out doing minor things (ok, I was at a water park) Just take it easy. hugs, robyn
Old     (greg2)      Join Date: May 2002       10-07-2005, 6:06 PM Reply   
Cracked 3 playing b-ball a couple of years ago. It took a SOLID 6 months to get back to normal. Minor knee surgery healed faster than my ribs.

Greg
Old     (big_ed_x2)      Join Date: Jul 2004       10-07-2005, 7:43 PM Reply   
uhh OUCH!!

Those suck......at least a few weeks depending how bad.

Hoping for a quick recovery!!!
Old     (deepstructure)      Join Date: Jun 2002       10-07-2005, 8:29 PM Reply   
damn jeff, sorry to hear that. no fun. didn't have your vest on too tight did ya? :-)

i believe i took about 6 weeks off from riding. definitely was sore for a few weeks, but it wasn't debilitating. i still feel it, especially when doing workouts that require me to lie on my stomach, as the cartiledge healing does create a bit of a lump.

sorry i can't give you more info. take it easy for a bit and you should be feeling well enough to do most things w/o pain.

best of luck!
Old    whisky_tango            10-07-2005, 8:38 PM Reply   
Good luck Jeff, Remember to take deep breaths often. You may need to take motrin to help the pain or other good stuff. You have to be carfull not to breath lightly for to long because you could get pneumonia. Also drink lots of water. Good luck and rest for 4-6 weeks so you don't make it worse. WT
Old     (socalwakepunk)      Join Date: Dec 2002       10-07-2005, 9:29 PM Reply   
Yeah, I came up short on a backroll, felt it slightly, but not enough to make me stop riding, finished the set. Middle of the next set I took a TS indy deep, landed on my heels, and it popped, I could feel it under the strap on my vest.

Christopher - I wish...could stand to drop a few more lbs. The old JP Stance is still a tight squeeze.
Old     (thane_dogg)      Join Date: Jun 2002       10-08-2005, 12:19 AM Reply   
damn Jeff that sucks. Bad season for injuries man. Get well soon so we can ride when it's drysuit season.
Old     (magic)      Join Date: Mar 2002       10-08-2005, 5:48 AM Reply   
I seperated a couple a few years ago, still hurt right now. You can see them move and pop around.
Old     (mjmurphy53711)      Join Date: Mar 2004       10-08-2005, 9:06 AM Reply   
"i could feel it under the strap of my vest"

deja vu.

www.wakecoupons.com
Old     (ord27)      Join Date: Oct 2005       10-08-2005, 10:32 AM Reply   
Guys
I'm 41 years old and dont heal as fast as I used to
but I want to do an invert!!!
I will hopefully get one before the end of next season (will be 42)
I own a restaurant and sitting at home injured is not an option!!!
any advice on how to master an invert and keep the old body in one piece (I am in pretty good shape)
thanks
Old     (tparider)      Join Date: Aug 2003       10-08-2005, 10:13 PM Reply   
It took about 3 weeks for mine to feel normal and stop popping in and out when I twisted. Chances are it is a form of Costochondritis where you had some separation between the cartilege and bone.
Old     (thane_dogg)      Join Date: Jun 2002       10-09-2005, 12:32 AM Reply   
cliff - fundamentals.
Old     (dakid)      Join Date: Feb 2001       10-09-2005, 12:42 AM Reply   

quote:

By Thane Dogg (thane_dogg) on Sunday, October 09, 2005 - 12:32 am:

cliff - fundamentals.

i concur.
Old     (toesideturtle)      Join Date: Oct 2002       10-09-2005, 3:46 PM Reply   
Damn Jeff, sorry to hear about your ribs--I did mine last winter, took 4 weeks until I was back on the water. Hurt for 8-10 weeks total. Take care of yourself buddy.

PS. I'll trade you my hernia for your rib injury...HaHa.
Old     (wakestar8878)      Join Date: Oct 2003       10-10-2005, 9:46 AM Reply   
DUUUUUUDE!!!! No Bueno!
Old    alanp            10-10-2005, 10:54 AM Reply   
i did this about 4 years ago off of a double up that i had no business hitting. put me down for a while but not to long.
Old     (socalwakepunk)      Join Date: Dec 2002       10-10-2005, 2:15 PM Reply   
Actually got talked into riding today, not too bad, landed all my tricks, ribs still a little sore. Geri, our RN friend (who also rode well today) says it must be a bruised diaphragm. Think I've got a bruised brain, but glad that I rode. Good to see you out there today, Mike.
Old     (dakid)      Join Date: Feb 2001       10-10-2005, 2:16 PM Reply   
glad to hear you're gettin' better frew! gonna do anymore riding this week?
Old     (socalwakepunk)      Join Date: Dec 2002       10-10-2005, 2:24 PM Reply   
Maybe...(Sat or Sun...)...
Old     (fly135)      Join Date: Jun 2004       10-10-2005, 2:26 PM Reply   
Cliff, don't worry you can learn an invert at 41. I'll be fifty in a couple weeks and I'm still learning stuff. Most everything I'm learning now is at the cable park. But that's only because I don't get much time behind the boat now.

The backroll is a pretty good invert to learn because when you come up short on the rotation you land on your butt. I crashed a zillion times learning the backroll until I found out that I needed more weight in the boat. The bigger the wake the easier it is to learn.
Old     (lop)      Join Date: Aug 2005       10-10-2005, 11:56 PM Reply   
I broke 5 ribs in my back last december and still feel it some mornings. As far as recovery goes I couldn't do anything for about three months but I had some severe internal bleeding.

Old     (eubanks01)      Join Date: Jun 2001       10-11-2005, 6:52 AM Reply   
Wow Chris...How did that happen?
Old     (lop)      Join Date: Aug 2005       10-11-2005, 7:51 AM Reply   
I hit black ice in my miata and rolled it into the woods.
Old     (erica_b)      Join Date: Apr 2004       10-11-2005, 8:29 AM Reply   
Glad to hear you're doing better Jeff. Those ribs are no good.