Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Wakeboarding Discussion Archives > Archive through April 01, 2005

Old     (tige_n_it)      Join Date: Nov 2004       03-01-2005, 5:34 PM Reply   
With all the different Manufactures out there and all the different boards they have, it becomes a bit overwhelming. How does one decide?
Old     (thane_dogg)      Join Date: Jun 2002       03-01-2005, 5:40 PM Reply   
do you not even know where to start?

what's your height and weight? skill level? how much do you want to spend? do you do any other board sports?

I see time and time again someone go out and buy what they think is the best board because it has all the dynamic features, and it ends up totally hindering their progression.
Old     (wake_eater)      Join Date: May 2003       03-01-2005, 5:42 PM Reply   
try to demo some if your local shops will let you, or try out friends boards. most shops can give you a pretty good description of how a board will ride. if you decide to buy it without demoing it, see if they'll take it back if u absolutely hate it. some will, most wont.
Old     (tige_n_it)      Join Date: Nov 2004       03-01-2005, 5:59 PM Reply   
Alright. 6'4" 215lbs aggressive rookey!
Old     (thane_dogg)      Join Date: Jun 2002       03-01-2005, 7:58 PM Reply   
well you're bigger than the average wakeboarder so I would recommend a bigger than average wakeboard. no smaller than a 140. For a rookie I would recommend something with a continuous rocker. The rocker is the curve that every wakeboard has. Continuous refers to one uniform curve through the whole hull of the board. The alternative, is a 3-stage. A 3-stage consists of a curved part on each end, and a flat spot in the middle. Both have their advantages and disadvantages. Granted there are some 3-stagers that are easy to ride, but a continuous is easier to learn on.

Look at:

CWB Sol 141
Liquid Force Omega 143
Hyperlite State 145

Those would be easy for you to learn on and would still last you for a while.

Old     (jrad)      Join Date: Mar 2004       03-01-2005, 8:20 PM Reply   
well put. well put. thane doggy dog
Old     (kristian)      Join Date: Nov 2002       03-02-2005, 4:35 AM Reply   
Yeah, well put there Dogg.
Also put on the list the Hyperlite ERA 147.
Old     (jarrod)      Join Date: May 2003       03-02-2005, 7:54 AM Reply   
I would second Kristian's recommendation. The 147 Era is a proven mold. Forgiving enough for the newbies, and advanced enough to win pro tour stops (with the right rider on it of course)
Old     (magellan)      Join Date: Feb 2003       03-02-2005, 8:36 AM Reply   
Can anyone explain to me the fret rail on the Era?
Old     (kristian)      Join Date: Nov 2002       03-02-2005, 4:13 PM Reply   
Fret rail, We call them gnar-cups, lol.
Apparently they speed up the board on edge. It does go faster, but I still don't exactly understad how it works. But they do reduce swing weight.
That 147 rocks, I love that board.
Old     (magellan)      Join Date: Feb 2003       03-02-2005, 4:36 PM Reply   
Question.
How would dishouts on the top of a board make it go faster?
The swingweight thing I buy. CWB has been doing that with Absolute for years.
Old     (ridn9high)      Join Date: Feb 2004       03-02-2005, 4:49 PM Reply   
If your in for a new board and don't care much about the updated graphics, go with an 04' model. Will save you a couple hundred bucks. If you want an 04, give me the board and size and I'll see what I can do.
Old     (airwarrior04)      Join Date: Aug 2004       03-02-2005, 9:59 PM Reply   
the "fret-rails" are indentions on the top of the tip and tail of the board which makes the water flow over the board kind of like the byerlys any ways it makes the board sit deaper in the water wich all ='s faster harder edge and sitts deeper in the water hope i explained it well!

Mike- Well said if you really dont care about the graphix go with a 04 *still are great boards even tho they are "1" year old*
Old    murrayair            03-02-2005, 11:07 PM Reply   
If you don't mind going back a few years I would recommend Hyperlite's Belmont. I learned and progressed a lot on the 136(You're gonna want the 141, Mike) and I still love it to death. Great pop and really nice landings.

The Era's the old premier, right?
Old     (ridn9high)      Join Date: Feb 2004       03-02-2005, 11:19 PM Reply   
I loved the belmont when I use to ride it. Very fun board. I am now riding the substance and only have good things to say.
Old     (mango)      Join Date: Mar 2004       03-04-2005, 7:48 PM Reply   
Make sure it has the letters "CWB" on the wakeboard.
Old    cheekydevil69            03-04-2005, 10:21 PM Reply   
speaking CWB, is the Absolute recommended for beginners? or more for the int/adv levels?
Old     (zaneschwenk)      Join Date: Apr 2004       03-05-2005, 10:52 AM Reply   
the absolute was designed and tested with all levels of riders so it can work well for me and for my neighbor who jumps the wakes....all around it's easy to get used to

Zane Schwenk
Old     (derek_h)      Join Date: Oct 2004       03-07-2005, 12:02 PM Reply   
Zane knows wakeboarding!!!!
So if he says Absolute then go Absolute.
Just bought the 05 plat and I can not wait to ride.