Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Wakeboarding Discussion Archives > Archive through April 01, 2005

Old     (wakeboarder3922)      Join Date: Jul 2004       03-07-2005, 1:20 PM Reply   
I am ready to try and land my first 180, but I do not know if I should try heelside or toeside. I usually go 21.5 mph, should I slow my speed down? PLEASE HELP
Old     (hyperlitenrd)      Join Date: Jan 2003       03-07-2005, 1:39 PM Reply   
Hey! I got my 180 last season, its alot of fun.

My idea is ts 180 to switch, so you'll land heelside switch, its easier to ride away from that. Slwoing down a lil would just soften the landings as you could guess. You also might want to practice ridding switch, and getting out of switch. other than that, wait till your in the air, move the handle towards your back hip, that should make you do a 180, sometimes I thorw it though, it looks better if you do the handle to hip thing.

Good luck bud!
Old     (stephan)      Join Date: Nov 2002       03-07-2005, 1:46 PM Reply   
Toeside is extremely easy as your natural movement in the air wants to bring you to switch. All you do is pop off good & high, move the handle a little bit and ride away on your heels, there is no reason to let go unless you are grabbing the trick. For heelside it's also quite simple. You just have to make sure you land on your toes. 180's are not a spin that you need to throw or really concentrate on spinning the board. It's all about handle control and always being in a strong position.
Old     (kingskrew)      Join Date: May 2004       03-07-2005, 3:07 PM Reply   
I agree that the TS 180 is the first to learn, but there are a few considerations. If you can't ride switch, landing switch will be very difficult, I would learn to ride switch comfortably first. Second, you will need to have a good solid TS W2W jump. If you have both of these fundamentals down, it really should feel natural to pull the TS 180. Good luck!!!

-Steve
Old     (acurtis_ttu)      Join Date: May 2004       03-07-2005, 3:28 PM Reply   
Also warm-up to one wake 180's. It helped me quite a bit. you can go really slow 14-16 untill you get them down. I've started to learn my tricks with a shorter rope and slower speed, the wrecks don't hurt near as bad.
Old     (zride)      Join Date: May 2001       03-07-2005, 5:23 PM Reply   
I learned a toeside 180 first and learned the heelside 180 last. Whatever works for you but consider trying the toeside 180 first. I found it very easy to learn. Just jumpt then switch the position of the handle from one side (hip) of your body to the other and the rotation should follow. Good luck
Old     (jarrod)      Join Date: May 2003       03-07-2005, 6:04 PM Reply   
I learned HS 180 before I even learned to clear the wake TS. Was much easier for me.
Old     (big_ed_x2)      Join Date: Jul 2004       03-07-2005, 6:53 PM Reply   
I'm with you J-Rod...I'm just getting my TS W2W and my HS 180 I got before I ever even rode in calm water!!
Old     (nlitworld)      Join Date: Feb 2005       03-08-2005, 1:11 AM Reply   
TS 180 seems to be easier, but once you figure out how to pop yourself well, HS w2w is more fun, and definately cooler looking. Just play around with it and do what feels comfortable. **make sure you get enough pop to do the spin.** without the pop, you'll have no time in the air and you'll just fall over and over again.
Old     (wakehound)      Join Date: Oct 2003       03-08-2005, 8:45 AM Reply   
Also, don't forget to glance at the shoreline when you're in the air. If you look at the boat, you'll slide out every time.
Old     (rootc)      Join Date: Aug 2002       03-08-2005, 12:40 PM Reply   
Heelside 180's were easier for me to learn. Doesn't really matter though. The toeside spin is more natural, but the heelside jump is usually more comfortable. Either way this move is a piece of cake and you'll be doing them every way possible with a little practice. Just pick one and go for it. }