Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles

Old     (powercorps)      Join Date: Nov 2006       06-29-2011, 11:06 AM Reply   
For those of you who have rode behind multiple boat brands, what brand boats put out what type of wakes?

I have recently been trying out different boats and I am surprised how different they are. So far I have tried out Malibu, Skier's choice (moomba, supra), and Nautique.

Malibu's wake is huge with a very rounded lip. Sent me out rather than up.
Nautique did not seem as big but had a very vertical lip. Sent me up rather than out.
Skier's choice was somewhat of a middle ground.

I am very curious to have other people's thoughts on this as I am planning on buying a true wakeboarding boat soon. Up to this point I have done almost all of my riding on a direct drive moomba.
Old     (jarrod)      Join Date: May 2003       06-29-2011, 11:10 AM Reply   
What kind of Malibu was it? We have an LSV with a wedge. The wake is massive, and we can make it as steep or ramped as we want.
Old     (bruizza)      Join Date: May 2009       06-29-2011, 12:15 PM Reply   
The malibu wake can be adjusted to throw you up instead of out with a wedge. If an Axis A22 is in your price range try to get a pull behind one of those with the PnP system and wedge.
Old    TN22            06-29-2011, 12:35 PM Reply   
I would wait til the new 2012's come out, supposed to be some cool new stuff from alot of the brands
Old     (rmotoxxx711)      Join Date: Oct 2008       06-29-2011, 12:58 PM Reply   
I regularly ride behind my own boat which is a San210 '02 loaded to the gills so it's super poppy and strait up and I love that. But as far as new boats go the other day I rode my buddys new MB B52 loaded with ballast and two sacs, it was way fun at 80' @24mph tall wake that was like a snowboard kicker with a harder hit. And only $52k out the door new. The Malibu is legit if you like rampy or steep with a kick cuz that wedge does wonders for wake shape
Old     (MattieK27)      Join Date: Mar 2010       06-29-2011, 4:28 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by TN22 View Post
I would wait til the new 2012's come out, supposed to be some cool new stuff from alot of the brands
Like?
Old     (moto817)      Join Date: Jan 2011       06-29-2011, 5:12 PM Reply   
I second the MB , I have an F23 I usually ride 24mph 85' with 400 in the nose and stock ballast full. the wake is steep and wide. I love it but some people have complained of how steep the ramp is on it. Love the malibu wake also I used to ride behind my buddies 247 and it was tad smaller but more forgiving and predictable.
Old     (cwb4me)      Join Date: Apr 2010       06-29-2011, 5:23 PM Reply   
To me TIGE and MALIBU are very similar,both can have steepness adjusted to your liking. Supra and NAUTIQUE are very similar,both are steeper and require less weight to make a big wake.Mastercraft is not as steep as Nautique and Supra ,but has TONS of pop.TIGE,MALIBU AND MASTERCRAFT have wider wakes.Supra and Nautique are narrower,easier for the wake to wake rider to clear at 80 to 85 feet.Usually less speed is required on the Supra & Nautique at 80 to 85' also.
Old     (powercorps)      Join Date: Nov 2006       06-30-2011, 7:58 AM Reply   
Here is where I am confused. I was under the impression that the steeper the wake, the better the pop (pop being the vertical jolt that you get on takeoff). My understanding of the physics behind it is that a steep wake will give you the vertical upward motion just before takeoff and then the line tension release will pull you upward and give you the height. Going into the flats is a totally separate issue of how fast you are cutting across the wake. Also if the wake is less steep it is easier to get into the flats because less of your horizontal kinetic energy is interrupted by hitting the wake. Robert mentioned Mastercraft being less steep but lots of pop. I just do not see how that is possible. I guess I was initially wondering what wake was the steepest but do I need to adjust my search and not go solely on steepness?
Old    ScottRobinson            06-30-2011, 10:28 AM Reply   
If you like steep and hard try a set behind an EPIC.