Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through March 18, 2009

Old     (burtonboy)      Join Date: Mar 2009       03-02-2009, 6:25 AM Reply   
I live on the south shore of long island. I am looking at the mastercraft x-2. My question is how does this boat or any other wakeboard boat ride in the rough water. Is the v of the boat enough to cut through the chop? do you get wet. Does anyone have experience driving in these type of conditions that can help me find a boat i will likw?
Old     (rallyart)      Join Date: Nov 2006       03-02-2009, 6:59 AM Reply   
I wouldn't pick the x-2. I think other MC's would be much better. You should look for the biggest boat that might suit your needs for storage and towing. A deeper V to the transom will help with pounding. An adjustable trim plate is very important when you are in rough water.
Old     (burtonboy)      Join Date: Mar 2009       03-02-2009, 7:10 AM Reply   
What do the adjustable trim plates do? Does anyone know where i can find stats on v depth degrees for these boats?
Old     (paulw)      Join Date: Dec 2006       03-02-2009, 7:25 AM Reply   
You don't want an X2, XStar, or X45 with the pickle fork. The nose sits to low in the water and you could swamp it easily in rough water. You want at a minimum the X15 or if it were I, the X30 or X35 would be the best boat. I use to have the older hull X30 and took it out to the reef in the FL keys and it did ok. You will want to get a snap cover for the bow it will help with the waves splashing over the front. Without a drought you will want the SS package with the galvanized or aluminum trailer.
Old     (sidekicknicholas)      Join Date: Mar 2007       03-02-2009, 7:34 AM Reply   
x-35
x-55 in the SS setup
Old     (towboat_222)      Join Date: Feb 2007       03-02-2009, 8:10 AM Reply   
240 Enzo Centurion will give you the best ride.
Old     (psudy)      Join Date: Dec 2003       03-02-2009, 8:32 AM Reply   
x80 saltwater series.
Old     (wakebrdjay)      Join Date: Apr 2008       03-02-2009, 9:27 AM Reply   
The Centurions and the Supreme V226 have the most deadrise (deep v) of the wake boats.
Old     (nickbot)      Join Date: Feb 2007       03-02-2009, 9:54 AM Reply   
CSX Saltwater Series
Old     (tampawake)      Join Date: Mar 2008       03-02-2009, 10:07 AM Reply   
Tige 24Ve or 22Ve worth taking a look at.
Old     (rallyart)      Join Date: Nov 2006       03-02-2009, 10:21 AM Reply   
Ron, the adjustable trim plate changes the attitude of the boat by raising or lowering the bow. When you are in large swells or storm waves you lower the bow when you are driving into the waves to give a smoother and more stable ride. When running with the waves you raise the bow to avoid burying it as you slide down the forward face of the wave. This applies to any boat, and it makes a very big difference.
Old     (raftisland)      Join Date: Aug 2006       03-02-2009, 10:23 AM Reply   
look into some of the bigger malibus such as the 23LSV.... malibu has a saltwater package that includes a salt water engine and galvanized trailer.
Old     (burtonboy)      Join Date: Mar 2009       03-02-2009, 10:34 AM Reply   
Great info, Thanks for the help. I am guessing by what everyone said the x-2 is not the best for me. I wish it was cause i found really nice one. For the people that use these boats in the bays, how is the straight inboard vs an I/o (much to worry about, damage if you run a ground, capability?
Old     (jaysus)      Join Date: Nov 2006       03-02-2009, 11:59 AM Reply   
Test drive - test drive - test drive!

Run it for yourself! You will be surprised what the SS X2 can handle.
Old     (davomaddo)      Join Date: Feb 2003       03-02-2009, 12:02 PM Reply   
I am in similar situation as you. I live on the Puget Sound in WA State, where the waves can get about 2-3ft on a windy day - very large white caps but not ocean swell.

I just bought the X-15 Salt Water Series. It rides pretty tall and has more of a V hull. I haven't taken it home yet, so I can't personally testify to how it performs (aside from a couple demo's where it did well).

You can go bigger - like X-30 if you want. The X-Star bow is super low. I keep my boat on a bouy. I didn't get the X-star because I thought it might sink if the waves picked up. I didn't look at the X-2 too much, but I assume its bow low as well.

I chose MC based on what they are doing with the salt water series and their durability.
Old     (billyjodonjimbo)      Join Date: Apr 2006       03-02-2009, 1:19 PM Reply   
where exactly are you going to be riding? Most of the good spots I found in the great south bay required navigating around some pretty gnarly sandbars....and I wouldn't dare try to get to those spots with an inboard. Not too mention all the grass that constantly gets caught in the prop.

Knowing what the bay is like, I wouldn't want an open bow style wake boat either, which would severely limit your options.

21+ deep v style is the way to go. I had a 21 foot deep v outboard when I grew up on the bay, and I was able to just about anything I could think of that the bay offered.
Old     (burtonboy)      Join Date: Mar 2009       03-02-2009, 1:42 PM Reply   
miles,
you are right it is tough to find stops. I go early in the morning and just rip down the channel, or in the evening. or right outside the channel at a really high tide. I know I need a regular bowrider with an I/O and a tower for down here, but I am not happy about it. I just wanted to see if any wake boats could come close to the practicality I need on the bay cause the wake features and the looks of these boats are just second to none. But I know what I need to do, but as I said I am not happy about it.
Old     (polarbill)      Join Date: Jun 2003       03-02-2009, 2:08 PM Reply   
Ron, the draft of a inboard isn't any more than an i/o or outboard. The only difference is when going slow you can trim the outdrive/outboard way up. Also a lot of the newer wake boats have just as much freeboard as most i/o's.
Old     (burtonboy)      Join Date: Mar 2009       03-02-2009, 2:21 PM Reply   
Brett,
What is freeboard?
Old     (jtnz)      Join Date: Sep 2007       03-02-2009, 2:24 PM Reply   
^ The distance from the waterline to the gunnel, how much you can sink your boat before it really sinks in other words ^
Old     (polarbill)      Join Date: Jun 2003       03-02-2009, 2:27 PM Reply   
Draft=waterline to lowest point of the boat in the water.
Freeboard=waterline to top the deck of the boat.

A lot of the wakeboard boats now have much more deadrise(V) than the older ski boats as well.
Old     (davomaddo)      Join Date: Feb 2003       03-02-2009, 3:23 PM Reply   
If you go with MC - get the trim tab.
It will help you deal with the waves. It also helps getting the boat to plain when weighted down heavily.

MC Salt Water series had a sea strainer, internal cooling, and also strainers on the ballast in-takes - which helps deal with sea weed / sea grass.

I blew out a couple ballast pumps on my old Malibu due to sea weed getting sucked up into the pumps.

You should demo the boat on a rough day and see how it goes. With the market in the toilet, dealers hae more time than ever and are really happy to do demos.

Don't let a sales guy tell you that the boat will do fine.
However, don't give up without giving it a shot.
Try it out for yourself.
Old     (mrm2083)      Join Date: Nov 2005       03-02-2009, 7:40 PM Reply   
I have an x2 and use it almost exclusively in biscayne bay in Miami. I have had it for 3 years and it's an awesome but. It is small but it actually handles very well considering its size. I take it out in rough water all the time and while it is an annoying ride (I also have a 24 ft center console and the difference is night and day) it is a very sold boat and is more than fine for some rough bay water. If money were not an option and I were to buy the best wakeboat for rough salty water it would definitely be a csx.If you need any info on wakeboats in salt I consider myself to be an expert as i've basically turned my boat into a saltwater series so just let me know.
Old     (wakeitnofakeit)      Join Date: Jan 2009       03-02-2009, 11:00 PM Reply   
If I wakeboarded in saltwater, I would get a MC csx without blinking an eye.
Old     (woreout)      Join Date: Aug 2006       03-03-2009, 6:13 AM Reply   
If you want to stay under 22 ft my suggestion would be the X15 SS or CSX. If you want bigger/more$$$ the X35 or 55

(Message edited by woreout on March 03, 2009)
Old     (barefter66)      Join Date: Mar 2009       03-03-2009, 10:31 AM Reply   
Ron, There is a MasterCraft Dealer in Port Jefferson that is near you. I know that they do Demos and have the boats you are looking at in stock. You should call them 631-331-7216
Old     (cpizzle)      Join Date: Sep 2007       03-03-2009, 10:48 AM Reply   
Just please stay away from a boat with a low nose like some of the MasterCrafts (not all). What's your budget??
Old     (jaybee)      Join Date: Aug 2007       03-03-2009, 11:06 AM Reply   
Manny - i saw you out in the bay last year when i was driving home from Conference . If i can make it down this year I def wanna bring the boat with me so we should try to link up.

As far as the X2 I have only had mine for 5 months and the biggest waves I have been in were maybe 2 ft if that but i honestly did find myself wishing i was in a bigger boat.
Old     (davomaddo)      Join Date: Feb 2003       03-03-2009, 12:49 PM Reply   
The CSX has a very niche market. Resale may be an issue with that boat.
Old     (woreout)      Join Date: Aug 2006       03-03-2009, 1:43 PM Reply   
The guy asking about these boats, is in that "niche" market.
Old     (4x4chevyguy)      Join Date: Oct 2008       03-03-2009, 3:11 PM Reply   
Centurion Sv 230 or 240 Enzo best Boat for that
Old     (barefter66)      Join Date: Mar 2009       03-04-2009, 8:24 AM Reply   
The MasterCraft CSX220SS is a great wakeboard boat. I have been to plenty or wakeboard tournaments where they will actually use the CSX as the tow boat... Other than that an X15 or an X35 would be good choices for you.
Old     (barefter66)      Join Date: Mar 2009       03-04-2009, 8:26 AM Reply   
Centurion might be good but how far do you want to travel for service and warranty. Plus only MasterCraft makes a TRUE SALTWATER SERIES boat and there is a dealer right in Port Jefferson Long Island
Old     (guess402)      Join Date: Mar 2009       03-04-2009, 9:42 AM Reply   
used to have a 2001 SAN on the south shore of Long Island now I have a 2008 x-15 Saltwater Series. I wouldnt consider anything but that the time and the money of keeping up a non saltwater series boat is just overwhelming. I have heard the CSX is a great boat but never been on one myself. Love the X-15 for they bay around there still runs smooth even when it picks up and runs like a dream even in the normal bay chop.
Old     (guido)      Join Date: Jul 2002       03-04-2009, 10:15 AM Reply   
If you're looking at a small boat (sub 23') the X2 is a great choice. It actually sits much higher than even the X-star. The nose doesn't turn down. It also has a modified V-hull all the way to the stern and lifting chines that are usually found on offshore boats.

That said, it is still a small boat. Personally if I were buying a boat that could potentially see rough water the X-35 would be up high on my list of boats to check out.
Old     (mc_x15)      Join Date: Jul 2008       03-04-2009, 10:20 AM Reply   
x-15 is what i have and I live on super salty water, and very choppy at time. Never really a problem, sometimes not very fun coming home from the flat water. but will get you where you need to go. I took a ride in the larger CSX 26' i think and it was choppy out that day, didnt even phase that boat, i think the smaller one is similiar. CSX is a sick boat, but the X-15ss or 35ss or 55ss will also do well and in my opinion is alittle more comfortable than the CSX''s
Old     (jay_g)      Join Date: Apr 2006       03-04-2009, 1:23 PM Reply   
I grew up on LI and I would be careful with an inboard in the bay. Not only the prop but it sitting low..........I hate to say it but.......This may be a good use for the Chaparral xtreme boat.

OK Flame Me
Old     (polarbill)      Join Date: Jun 2003       03-04-2009, 1:25 PM Reply   
Jay, are you referring to the chaparral because you can lift the outdrive when idling or stopped or because you actually think it sits a lot higher than the prop on an inboard?
Old     (towboat_222)      Join Date: Feb 2007       03-04-2009, 1:48 PM Reply   
Somebody believes everything they see. Which film of the Chaparral did you like.
Old     (mbouchard)      Join Date: May 2006       03-04-2009, 1:49 PM Reply   
We have a customer that had the same question - demo'd the x-star and 24' bu - chose MB Tomcat for the smoothest and driest ride (all things being relative). Closed cooled zr6 - and loves it. High degree deadrise with respect to the others (not including 28' boats...)
Old     (jay_g)      Join Date: Apr 2006       03-04-2009, 4:32 PM Reply   
Bret Cause it sits higher and it will take chop better since it is not a flat bottom.

Ken I dont believe its a great wake boat but growing up on the LI sound I know a flat bottom wont cut it, unless you want to sink!. You can be in 6' chop in a matter of minutes if you dont watch the weather. Infact Im afraid of anything In the LI sSound that has an open bow. But Now that Im a NorCal dude flatbottom vdrives all the way!
Old     (towboat_222)      Join Date: Feb 2007       03-05-2009, 6:38 AM Reply   
Jay I was just messing with you. That thread go so long I didnt think it would go away. Im a Sea Ray dealer they are building one now a FISSION. Wounder if I could start a thread on it.
Old     (barefter66)      Join Date: Mar 2009       03-05-2009, 11:16 AM Reply   
Ron
Best bet is to test drive a MasterCraft. I have boated on the Long Island Sound and the Great South Bay. The days you are planning on being out on the water a MasterCraft will be fine. An X2SS is nice but is on the smaller side. The X15 is a great combination boat with the traditional bow and for 21ft is as big as many 23ft boats. Then the X35 is a great boat for choppy water plus has an awesome wake for riding. Also can fit 16 people in it and still pull a rider. But you should test drive first.....
Old     (mrm2083)      Join Date: Nov 2005       03-05-2009, 3:08 PM Reply   
Having a flat bottom has nothing to do with being able to handle rough sees. It only has to do with comfort. What would determine if a boat can take the sees would be the freeboard, how low the bow is, how fast the water can drain, etc. That being said u still wan't the deepest v u can get (which won't be much on any wake boat, not even a csx)
Old     (dh03r6)      Join Date: Mar 2007       03-05-2009, 4:10 PM Reply   
why not consider the chaparel extreme? joking
Old     (4x4chevyguy)      Join Date: Oct 2008       03-06-2009, 9:17 AM Reply   
hey todd to let you know mastercraft is not the onley one that dose saltwater boats Nautique dose as well. And they have jdpowers. where master craft fell off
Old     (tampawake)      Join Date: Mar 2008       03-06-2009, 10:05 AM Reply   
OH GAWD thanks wakeking gotta go through this whole jdpower BS again why god why. Ron for the love of all test drive all of them that have SS series and do it in the roughest of water. I will tell you the smoothest riding SS boat I have been in was a Tige and I own an MC. That being said I have not been in every MC or CC. Your spending a sh#t load of money take your time demo as much as possible and dont pay attention to Wakeworld too many brand loyal bashers.
Old     (dh03r6)      Join Date: Mar 2007       03-06-2009, 2:12 PM Reply   
Wakeking would you consider using spell check?
Old     (barefter66)      Join Date: Mar 2009       03-10-2009, 9:10 AM Reply   
There is a big difference between the two saltwater editions. Like I said before I think he should test drive the different boats and models.
Old     (wakecis)      Join Date: Jun 2005       03-10-2009, 12:55 PM Reply   
first off, chaparrall's are well made boats that are suitable for wakeboarding. i've been riding behind one since 1997, had the first one with a skylon installed from the dealer. the old 236, 7.4L engine and duo-prop for low end power - can't comment on the extreme, except that the price tag makes no sense.

as for the south shore, it does get choppy. i can't imagine anything better suited than a SS mastercraft. i live in NY, so i'll help you break one in if you like.