Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles

Old     (wakebordr11)      Join Date: May 2001       07-01-2013, 7:27 AM Reply   
A friend of mine just snatched a 2011 Wakesetter. It has the 3 ballast system and he runs an integrated bow sac (250-300?) and wedge up 2 clicks. 350 monsoon, Acme 1235 prop.

I wanted to start by saying this wake is BANGIN. I don't ride big wakes often and my favorite wake previous to this is a slammed out Nautique 2001. I love the G23 too but that isn't what this is about. This wake is truly amazing stock.

Question time. I've done some searching, haven't landed at the exact answer yet. What is everyone adding on top of their systems in these boats for bags?

- We won't re-prop from the current 1235.
- Goal is maxing wakeboard wake with wedge down, reasonable time to plane etc
- Also would like to wake surf occassionally, so a plumbed PnP system is desirable for the rear so additional pumps don't have to be run

Let me know your setups!

Thanks.
Old     (polarbill)      Join Date: Jun 2003       07-01-2013, 7:34 AM Reply   
If you like the wake how it is, it seems like it would make sense to add weight evenly front/back and side to side from what you have now. I don't know if the newer VLX's are like the 05-08 one's but I seem to recall the best setup was to add a ton of weight and skip the wedge. I was in an 08 with about 5k in it with no wedge and the wake looked huge and solid. My friend that rode said the wake was absolutely awesome and he was coming from the same boat with just the stock 4 tanks and wedge.
Old     (wakebordr11)      Join Date: May 2001       07-01-2013, 8:47 AM Reply   
I think we are just looking to maximize + wedge. We tried adding some weight around the boat the other night. We were slightly biased to the rear, but the boat wouldn't plane with the wedge and what I figure to be 2600 total... I am also a fan of the wake with the wedge. What is the difference in the wake if say, we were able to squeeze 3500 into the boat, no wedge, vs 15-1800 with the wedge?
Old     (bhyatt_ohp)      Join Date: Oct 2007       07-01-2013, 12:21 PM Reply   
I have a decent amount of experience with the 2011 hull, but more with the 05-08 hull. One thing I can tell you is the 2011 vlx hull is heavily influenced by the power wedge. Much more so than my 2008 hull. The wake without power wedge on the 2011 tends to be flat and long, but I'm sure with 4,000lbs or so in the boat with no wedge, the wake would be substantial. It would ride totally different vs. the wedge down - not so much straight up pop. Another issue is coming out of the hole with that much weight, even with the wedge up. Basically, your going to be limited with the 1235 prop. My friend's 2010 vlx has the base 340hp motor and the 1235 prop, 4 ballast tank factory option. With 6 to 8 people in the boat and wedge down, its a major struggle to get on speed. I have found you can manipulate the "auto wedge" feature that automatically puts the wedge in power mode for you to help planing times. Keep wedge all the way down until your 22mph+, then engage power mode. It seems auto wedge wants to start engaging around 18mph which is much too early IMO.

If your dead set on keeping the current prop and running the wedge, try a 750lb sack in the bow walkway area, scooted back to where the end of the sack is between the drivers and passengers seats and the front of the sack runs up towards the bow. This will give the hull some belly/forward weight. You CANNOT add weight to the rear of a vlx (using power wedge) unless there is an equal or additional amount of weight forward the drivers seat. It becomes too tail heavy, hard/impossible to plane out. That 750lb sack could then be moved to one of the rear lockers when you wanted to wakesurf.

As far as a pnp system (750lb in each rear locker) forget running the wedge unless you only slightly filled those rear sacs. You would need a ton of weight up front as mentioned. Your still looking at throwing a pump over the side for any weight up front, so the only real benefit of pnp is flip of the switch for the rear lockers for surfing, or for the no wedge scenario.

For reference I'm running right at 4,000lbs + 4-5 people in my 2008 vlx, not using power wedge, LCR 320hp base motor with an Acme 2315 15" 12 pitch prop. The 2315 is a major improvement vs. the 1235 for holeshot. I lost right at 3mph top end, but makes towing out of the whole much more enjoyable.