Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Wakesurfing

Old    froggman180            03-12-2006, 11:24 AM Reply   
Is it possible to ride the nose of a board suited for wakesurfing (hanging ten on a shortboard with a round nose)? What should I look for when buying, and is it really necessary to buy a board designed for wakesurfing? Isn't surfing a small wave behind a boat the same as surfing the same size wave in the ocean? I would rather buy a board that would work in both the lake or the ocean. Any suggestions on brands/models?

Thank you to all people that can provide an intelligent/mature response.
Duane.
Old     (dennish)      Join Date: May 2005       03-12-2006, 2:00 PM Reply   
Duane,
IMO a board that would allow you to paddle in to a wave would be way to long to ride behind a boat. That's not to say that a board small for you in the ocean wouldn't work behind a boat but you would always be running into the back of the boat. It would make tricks very difficult as well. As far as walking the nose it can be done but not for very long as you would catchup to the boat very quickly.
Old    surfdad            03-12-2006, 2:56 PM Reply   
Duane, when we made a board for Dennis, we set it up at 6'2" and right at 3" thickness. As I watched him from inside the boat, the board was a foot too long. Literally, the nose of the board never came in contact with the water, EXCEPT when he would turn hard. On a hard bottom turn the nose would dig into the flats. The relatively short pocket length, as Dennis pointed out, makes walking the nose a "quick" experience. :-) I've ridden a 5'10" Shred Stixx and also a 5'10" Surftech and they work well enough, if you don't wish to get too aggressive behind the boat.
Old    Johnny Wadd            03-12-2006, 4:09 PM Reply   
Duane,
I ocean surf and wake surf. I have a 5'10" Shred Stixx and have put 5 on the nose behind my boat just goofing around. I mainly ocean surf short boards but do long board on small days. In order to put all toes on the nose you need to have a long board or you will pearl. I agree with Jeff,a board that would let you hang ten behind a boat would be to long to wake surf. My surfboard is not as thick or as wide as my wakesurf board.I compare wake surfing to surfing a small beach break. I have the same surf style with both. As much fun as wakesurfing is, it is not quite the same surfing.
As always... Board More/Work Less!
J$