Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through March 18, 2009

Old     (vista)      Join Date: Sep 2008       02-21-2009, 5:27 AM Reply   
Hi there,

Just posted about this on PlanetNautique, but thought someone here might be able to help.

I'm doing some research for my wakeboard club as the wake on our Super Air 220 is really crumbly and mushy. It's still ride-able but a few of us rode behind another 220 and the wake was far better, more solid and consistent. There must be something we can do to fix it, or at least improve it.

We don't have any additional ballast (fat sacks etc) and we've tested the boat with the standard internal ballast at various levels with the same problems. Our local dealer doesn't seem interested, hence our research.

Our part of the lake doesn't have anything to do with it either (depth etc) as we've had guest boats over and they've performed well.

Any help on this would be great as we're having our AGM soon and the boat will be coming out of storage. If there's any more info I can provide that can help, please let me know.

Thanks!
V
Old     (ncsuuh)      Join Date: Jan 2007       02-21-2009, 6:08 AM Reply   
Lets see pics of the wake. How fast are you going and do you have a trim tab? Are you sure the fat sacs are filling? Maybe one of the stock ones isnt filling.
Old     (jaybee)      Join Date: Aug 2007       02-21-2009, 6:50 AM Reply   
I never had any problems with mine. I would say try putting an extra bag in the front maybe? I know I had an impellar go pretty quick so it could be that one of the tanks is not filling.
Old     (michridr69)      Join Date: Dec 2008       02-21-2009, 6:58 AM Reply   
try 6 fat chicks, let me know how it turns out
Old     (vista)      Join Date: Sep 2008       02-21-2009, 7:18 AM Reply   
Thanks for the responses guys (even yours andy).

I don't think I have any pics of the wake, I'll take a look though. The boat is in storage for another month so no chance of taking any till then. We're generally doing around 20-23 mph depending on the rider and we don't have a trim tab. In terms of the internal ballast, we're sure they're filling normally, but I'll get the guys to double check them when the boat goes in.

If you think a sack in the front would help we'll try that. It has to be a weighting issue hasn't it? Could it be the prop angle or something else though?
Old     (michridr69)      Join Date: Dec 2008       02-21-2009, 7:30 AM Reply   
lol np hey try weighing ur boat 60 40 with 1200 pounds, my freind had the same problem once u weigh em down the wake is butter
Old     (innov8)      Join Date: May 2005       02-21-2009, 8:31 AM Reply   
We run stock ballast and then add fly high V drive sacs full and a fly high bow sac about half full.

(Message edited by innov8 on February 21, 2009)
Old     (guido)      Join Date: Jul 2002       02-21-2009, 9:12 AM Reply   
MORE WEIGHT!!!
Old     (vista)      Join Date: Sep 2008       02-21-2009, 10:03 AM Reply   
Thanks guys. The peeps in charge of the club don't like us loading extra ballast (they're skiers) but we'll sneak a few bags in. I reckon a bow bag and a couple in the back that we can move around.

I'll let you know how it pans out. Will look into loading a couple chunky chicks in and seeing if that'll boost it more too.
Old     (michridr69)      Join Date: Dec 2008       02-21-2009, 11:25 AM Reply   
My man
Old     (saceone)      Join Date: Jan 2009       02-21-2009, 1:58 PM Reply   
like I said on PN.com, it might sound dumb but maybe the prop is damaged. I know the wake on my 210 was disastrous when my prop was slightly kinked.
Old     (vista)      Join Date: Sep 2008       02-21-2009, 6:18 PM Reply   
Thanks Pete. I'll defo check out the prop. The boat sees a lot of use so could easily happen.

Thanks again all!
Old     (imscarlet)      Join Date: Mar 2008       02-22-2009, 12:02 PM Reply   
Do you carry additional batteries for the sounds? 220 we run has 3 on the port side + the sub so we have to over ballast the starboard side to compensate.
Old     (kickflip_mj)      Join Date: Apr 2007       02-22-2009, 4:49 PM Reply   
more weight.... some in the front.. some in the back. maybe try alittle faster.
Old     (vista)      Join Date: Sep 2008       02-23-2009, 4:26 AM Reply   
I was just thinking about the weighting issue and we've actually run the boat in a small local wake competition and had 5 judges, driver and rope monkey in the boat, with the same old crappy wake. I'll get the guys to closely examine to prop, it has to be something like that.

@Ian - no additional batteries, just the stock sound system. The more I think of it the more I think it's got to be the prop, or even the hull. Casual inspections when we took it out before the winter were good. Hmmm... Someone said to us the 220 was just a mediocre boat and that the Nautique got it right with the 210 instead.
Old     (882001)      Join Date: Nov 2003       02-23-2009, 5:20 AM Reply   
i rode in a 220 and liked the wake. its no old 210 but it was a nice fun wake.
Old     (chucktronics)      Join Date: Nov 2007       02-23-2009, 6:31 AM Reply   
I had a 06 220 and now currently have a 07 220.It took me a good season to figure all the weight out . definitely nose weight, you may also lift the floor with just a few screws and place the weight lower in the hull.extremely important in this boat.you must make a shelf for in front of the gas tank however this should resolve your probs.

typically a little faster and a 1234 or 1235 prop pending year( i believe it is a 1234 needed for an 06
Old     (vista)      Join Date: Sep 2008       02-23-2009, 9:29 AM Reply   
Thanks a million for that Ryan. Will be looking at bow weight for sure, as well as whatever we can do about the rest of it. Lots of testing I guess. Props will get a look in too, but the club doesn't want to spend anything though. Grr.

Thanks everyone for your help!
Old     (maxwake)      Join Date: Dec 2008       02-27-2009, 8:40 PM Reply   
Drop me a line maxwakemaxfun@gmail.com. I have Fly High factory seconds and new sacs as well. If you are looking to add weight I can help.
www.maxwake.com
Old     (jonfo)      Join Date: May 2002       02-27-2009, 11:34 PM Reply   
i have an 07 220 with the 1235 prop. the 220 is finicky, you need to balance side to side weight perfectly. its also tippy so when rider is outside pulling hard on one side the oposite side crumbles, so get the wake dialed when rider is in middle. i pull beginners with no weight at 18 mph, and others with 3x stock balast at 24mph and wake is good if side to side balance is perfect. the new 210 doesnt have this issue, but the 220 has a great layout...