Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles

Old     (camassanger)      Join Date: Oct 2009       05-02-2014, 6:47 AM Reply   
Took the boat out for an early trip to the lake yesterday and everything worked out perfectly (had to test the winter projects out). Except I now have a "squeak" when I engage the drive train. I initially thought it was a pulley, but the squeak goes away when dropping into neutral. So, I am wondering if anyone has any experience with anything like this? If you have ever turned your propeller when it's on the trailer, you hear a squeak and I think that is what I'm hearing. Could it be coming from the strut or the dripless seal? I thought I'd post it up here to see if anyone has ever had similar probs and what you did about it. Is it anything to be concerned about? Should I think of this as a warning (like squeaking brakes), and repair something? Thanks for any ideas/inputs
Old     (bftskir)      Join Date: Jan 2004       05-02-2014, 9:28 AM Reply   
Any change in sounds is worthy of investigation...but not panic...it may go away just check what you can and...monitor the situation for any increase or other new sounds
Old     (camassanger)      Join Date: Oct 2009       05-02-2014, 9:36 AM Reply   
My thoughts exactly. My only concern is that it didn't go away after a long day on the lake yesterday... even after a higher than normal level of shifting the drive train in and out of gear while checking it out. High speed, low speed, etc. no change.

What do you think of WD40 at the strut bushing? I'm sure it will wash out quickly in the water, but may provide a little bushing relief to quite it down. Again, assuming its the strut. My main worry (not panic) is the dripless seal...
Old     (tonyv420)      Join Date: Jul 2007       05-02-2014, 11:21 AM Reply   
my idler pully would squeek, at higher RPM's, i tend to get water in the bilge quite often, and some times its thrown by the main crank pully, which gets the idler pully wet, which finallly gets to the bearings in the pully and they start to squeek. If thats it, change the pully, cause I had one totally blow apart, and didn't notice until the engine shut down due to temp.
Old     (polarbill)      Join Date: Jun 2003       05-02-2014, 11:49 AM Reply   
If it is only when in gear could it be the shaft packing? I know those squeal like crazy if you try and put your boat in gear while on the trailer.
Old     (wakedaveup)      Join Date: May 2012       05-02-2014, 11:53 AM Reply   
My belts needed changed and would squeek like that at low rpm, replaced them and it completely went away. To test and see if it's a belt or pully (and this won't fix the problem and may sound stupid but it works) pour a little baby powder on the belts and pullys while the boat is idling. If the noise goes away your problem is more than likely associated with a belt or pully.

In regards to spinning the prop when the boat is on the trailer, it only makes that squeek becuase there is no water to lubricate it. We've had brand new boats in the shop and put them in fwd and reverse gear to do a quick check and every single one squeeks like that. Almost like nails on a chalk board, but I assure you 9 times out of 10 it's only because the prop isn't spinning in the water.
Old     (camassanger)      Join Date: Oct 2009       05-03-2014, 6:22 PM Reply   
Anthony, Thanks for this tip. I don't usually have that much water in the bilge. And I would think that if it were a pully squeaking, it would squeak while reving in neutral. I'm thinking it is driveline related at this point...

Brett, that's what I am worried about. The squeak is only when Ive engaged the drive line, and it sounds just like when its on the trailer and running.

Dave O, I hadn't thought about it being the belt, but it seems like it should squeak even in neutral or rev'ing it in neutral.

Last edited by camassanger; 05-03-2014 at 6:24 PM. Reason: clarity
Old     (biggator)      Join Date: Jul 2010       05-03-2014, 6:24 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by camassanger View Post
My thoughts exactly. My only concern is that it didn't go away after a long day on the lake yesterday... even after a higher than normal level of shifting the drive train in and out of gear while checking it out. High speed, low speed, etc. no change.

What do you think of WD40 at the strut bushing? I'm sure it will wash out quickly in the water, but may provide a little bushing relief to quite it down. Again, assuming its the strut. My main worry (not panic) is the dripless seal...
WD40 is NOT a lubricant.
Old     (bftskir)      Join Date: Jan 2004       05-03-2014, 7:03 PM Reply   
Flex plate
Old    Paxdad            05-04-2014, 8:01 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by camassanger View Post
Took the boat out for an early trip to the lake yesterday and everything worked out perfectly (had to test the winter projects out). Except I now have a "squeak" when I engage the drive train. I initially thought it was a pulley, but the squeak goes away when dropping into neutral. So, I am wondering if anyone has any experience with anything like this? If you have ever turned your propeller when it's on the trailer, you hear a squeak and I think that is what I'm hearing. Could it be coming from the strut or the dripless seal? I thought I'd post it up here to see if anyone has ever had similar probs and what you did about it. Is it anything to be concerned about? Should I think of this as a warning (like squeaking brakes), and repair something? Thanks for any ideas/inputs
I would panic!!! That's the hamster in transmission on the treadmill wheel. They usually make a squeak when they are hungry.
Old     (phathom)      Join Date: Jun 2013       05-04-2014, 6:03 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by biggator View Post
WD40 is NOT a lubricant.
Exactly. Too many people think it is, but it absolutely is not. It is a water displacement agent. It stands for Water Displacement - Formula 40.

If you are ever going to lubricate anything, get some actual lubricant, such as silicone spray (which btw, depending on which one you get, can also can help get you into some tight bindings without any ill effects)
Old     (bftskir)      Join Date: Jan 2004       05-04-2014, 8:32 PM Reply   
Somebody needs to tell the folks at WD40 that its not a lubricant cuz they say it is.
Old     (polarbill)      Join Date: Jun 2003       05-05-2014, 7:42 AM Reply   
I had to look up the WD40 thing. While it is biased because it is on their website they say it is.

Myth: WD-40 Multi-Use Product is not really a lubricant.
Fact:
While the “W-D” in WD-40 stands for Water Displacement, WD-40 Multi-Use Product is a unique, special blend of lubricants. The product’s formulation also contains anti-corrosion agents and ingredients for penetration, water displacement and soil removal.
Old     (camassanger)      Join Date: Oct 2009       05-05-2014, 8:20 AM Reply   
I have always used WD40 as a light lubricant (door hinges and such). It works great for that.

Do you think it is a good idea to hit the strut bushing with WD or some other spray lubricant to see if the squeak goes away? I would think that it would quickly wash out in the water, especially when the prop is turning. Thoughts?
Old     (phathom)      Join Date: Jun 2013       05-05-2014, 9:50 AM Reply   
I read an article before that compared all different kinds of lubricants and the best turned out to be a 50/50 mix of acetone and Dexron Mercon tranny fluid. In the test it worked better than anything off the shelf for breaking loose seized up bolts. I'm not sure if that would be needed in this situation, but I just wanted to share.
Old     (bftskir)      Join Date: Jan 2004       05-05-2014, 12:18 PM Reply   
No...use water if you must spin it out of water.

Just like the impeller it lubed by water

I would not take my boat to dave o shop ever.