Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Non-Wakeboarding Discussion

Old     (irishrider92)      Join Date: Jun 2009       10-25-2011, 4:46 AM Reply   
Hey so I'm planning a snow trip and the shop I'm thinking of renting from only offers 2 boards. There's the Flow Rhythm or the Rossignol Accelerator BMP. I know jack shiznit about snowboarding and was wondering which ones better for an intermediate rider or should I look elsewhere? I'm just starting on parks, but I'm comfortable on all slopes

Cheers
Brian
Old    Swass            10-25-2011, 8:39 AM Reply   
Rent when you get where you're going. More selection that way, and you don't have to travel with the board.
Old     (magic)      Join Date: Mar 2002       10-25-2011, 9:01 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by Swass View Post
Rent when you get where you're going. More selection that way, and you don't have to travel with the board.
Ditto

When you get to your spot, see if they have a reverse camber board to try. I picked up one last season after demo'ing a few the prior season, love love love the way reverse camber boards ride. I find they are really forgiving too.
Old     (Shooter)      Join Date: Apr 2010       10-25-2011, 9:40 AM Reply   
Word of advice, don't rent from the ski resort. You will wait in long lines and normally get old trashed equipment. Find a good board shop in town when you get there and demo from them. Since you are new, I would just trust the shop tech and have him set you up. After a few days you may have a better idea of what you want. +1 with trying a reverse camber. I'm personally a Lib Tech or Gnu fan, but most good board companies have a deck for everyone.
Old     (irishrider92)      Join Date: Jun 2009       10-25-2011, 11:20 AM Reply   
Yeah I'm not really thinking about renting with the trip organisers. I have an option to, with packages that range from 100-120 euro but I got a bollox board last time. I was thinking of booking in advance with ski republic and collecting it there cos they have a 2 for 1 deal and the other shops prices are like 150-200 for a setup.

I'm kinda questioning the reverse camber though. Did a little homework and it seems like they're more for parks and it says they're not built for carving really which I'll probably be doing seeing as a bunch of the people will be skiers but I still want to go to the parks a bit. Would you guys still say reverse camber over regular camber?
Old     (magic)      Join Date: Mar 2002       10-25-2011, 3:08 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by irishrider92 View Post
Yeah I'm not really thinking about renting with the trip organisers. I have an option to, with packages that range from 100-120 euro but I got a bollox board last time. I was thinking of booking in advance with ski republic and collecting it there cos they have a 2 for 1 deal and the other shops prices are like 150-200 for a setup.

I'm kinda questioning the reverse camber though. Did a little homework and it seems like they're more for parks and it says they're not built for carving really which I'll probably be doing seeing as a bunch of the people will be skiers but I still want to go to the parks a bit. Would you guys still say reverse camber over regular camber?
I'm a go fast all mountain rider that mostly rides with very fast and aggressive skiers. I do a lot of steeps, bumps and trees, don't do parks for the most part at all. Love my GNU Banana (reverse camber board). I also have a regular camber GNU, did not even put bindings on it last year. I also have a 181cm Burton (model name escapes me) that I ride in powder or just when getting groomers (on piste) at speed. Even at 40+mph (I wear a GPS watch to dork around with on hardpack I don't get any chatter on my reverse camber board. You do have to weight you stance it a bit different.

If you can, demo boards and you'll find what you like. You find a board you love in the morning you hate in the afternoon if the snow conditions change a lot.
Old     (Shooter)      Join Date: Apr 2010       10-25-2011, 1:57 PM Reply   
You said your new..what is your ability level? Beginner or intermediate runs? Do you plan on riding groomers or are you good enough to get fresh track if it's available?
Old     (Shooter)      Join Date: Apr 2010       10-25-2011, 2:52 PM Reply   
I Re-read your OG post..Just like wakeboards...level of length, shape, camber, stiffness each have benefits and drawbacks. It depends on your skill level and what conditions you are riding. Reverse camber is generally forgiving, but not what I would want when aggressively charging steeps and you need edge / response.

Reverse camber is not for everyone, but it's worth a try. Again, ask the shop what they suggest for the conditions and your skill level. try a few shapes during the trip to see what you like.