Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Non-Wakeboarding Discussion

Old     (jaegermaster)      Join Date: Sep 2002       10-17-2013, 7:00 PM Reply   
I have an '09 Ram 2500 and I'm looking at remote start systems. A local audio store has them starting at $269 installed. I'm wondering how hard they are to install? Amazon has several around $160. Is it worth paying someone to do it or should I do it myself?

Is one brand better than another? I know nothing about them other than the dealer wants an absurd amount of money for them.

Any help is appreciated.
Old     (ilikebeaverandboats)      Join Date: Jul 2007       10-17-2013, 8:51 PM Reply   
My opinion has always been to let the pros install the alarms.... Its something I have never wanted to dive into,

As always, Viper is the big name, but I have had good luck with python stuff.
Old     (buffalow)      Join Date: Apr 2002       10-21-2013, 8:41 AM Reply   
Funny I looked around the same thing. I am ending up doing the factory Remote start so I am down to one Key Fob. Also have a few precautions for the diesel that I could not get in the alarm system.
Old     (jonyb)      Join Date: Nov 2008       11-01-2013, 11:43 AM Reply   
$269 installed isn't bad, depending on what it is.

I do a lot of remote starts through my business - selling Clifford and Avital - both DEI products. I also use Idatalink interface modules.

To price these separately, it would be $100 for an Avital basic keyless entry/remote start, with 1000' range. $75 for interface module (that's required on almost ALL vehicles these days), and $125 for labor.

Think of it this way - if you don't know what youre doing, then spend the $125 for a quality install that's guaranteed to work, and you never have to mess with it.

I'm not trying to make a sale here, most likely none of you live close to me, but I see too much of people trying to save money and they have no clue what's involved in the install. Not that you can really mess anything up, but there are techniques (as with anything) that make an install cleaner, easier, or just overall better.

When you're shopping for a remote start, make sure the store has a reputable installer. That's 75% of the process, most places can carry the lines, but it's some that can't do the install and no matter what you buy, it's no good without being installed right.
Old     (jonyb)      Join Date: Nov 2008       11-01-2013, 11:44 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by ilikebeaverandboats View Post
My opinion has always been to let the pros install the alarms.... Its something I have never wanted to dive into,

As always, Viper is the big name, but I have had good luck with python stuff.
Viper, Python, Clifford, Avital, and a few others are all made by DEI, Directed Electronics Inc. Same product with a different label.