Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through June 21, 2006

Old     (brucemac)      Join Date: Dec 2005       06-15-2006, 3:27 PM Reply   
Hey I was killing some time and looking at boattraderonline and noticed while looking at a new 2006 X1 for sale that there weren't any interior speakers. It also apeared that there weren't any cutouts or any spots for them either. Are there? Are there speakers standard on the base model? If not, are there cut-outs or good spots for them without screwing up the seating? Just curious, thanks in advance for your reply.
Old     (attila916)      Join Date: Oct 2005       06-15-2006, 4:47 PM Reply   
Speakers and stereo are not included for the advertised 39,995 price however MC was throwing them in during the boat show for the advertised price. I have never seen one without speakers so I could not answer your question regarding the cutouts for the interior speakers. (I was under the impression that all 06 X1's have already been built) I know that the kick panel under the driver's seat has a cutout for a sub so I think if you get one without a stereo it will probably have a location or template for the JL 7.7's.
There is room on the interior to easily accomodate 4-6 JL 7.7's just look at any other X1 or older X2 to see where they are mounted. I can send you pics if you need them.
Old     (mossy44)      Join Date: Oct 2001       06-15-2006, 9:03 PM Reply   
i know a lot has changed in 7 years, but my parents '99 prostar 205 came WITHOUT speakers. however, if you pushed on the vynil of the seat, you could feel where there was a hole already cut out. it wasnt hard to just cut a slit in the vynil and put in the speakers.
Old     (snyper1d)      Join Date: Mar 2005       06-15-2006, 9:09 PM Reply   
More than likely there is no cut out. On the X-1 there is no speakers mounted in the upholstry. They are all fiberglass mounted. Get your air compressor and die grinder out, or have a few bits extra for the dremel
Old     (attila916)      Join Date: Oct 2005       06-15-2006, 11:27 PM Reply   
Get it with the stock system. Unlike the kicker junk they put in a lot of new boats the JL's and the new Clarion head unit actually sound good stock and is worth keeping in the boat as you build up your system.
Old     (brucemac)      Join Date: Dec 2005       06-16-2006, 12:16 PM Reply   
thanks guys. probably be a while, but i'm hoping it's my next boat. attila take good care of yours and give me first right of refusal on her, okay?!
Old     (guido)      Join Date: Jul 2002       06-16-2006, 1:10 PM Reply   
Bruce, how 'bout a '05 X2. I'm always down to negotiate.... LOL

BTW there aren't any templates and Attila is right on: get it with the system. The JL's are killer and the head deck works just fine when you upgrade the system. Don't bother with the sub though. It sucks IMO. Get a box built with a 12 and you'll be happy. The guys at Neptune audio put the box for my 12 behind the kickpanel so you can't even tell its there.
Old     (point1234)      Join Date: Apr 2006       06-16-2006, 6:48 PM Reply   
I have an 06 x1 yes in the basic price of 39 and change it does not come with stereo and speakers. And Yes the if you get the system from the factory clarion head unit and speakers. They sound great, could not be happier.
Old     (attila916)      Join Date: Oct 2005       06-16-2006, 10:17 PM Reply   
I am not selling until the wheels fall off, and since there are no wheels on it... it will be a while!

I hear an X1 for next year is still up in the air. A couple of dealer guys I talked to said they might not be making it next year. No worries, I am sure you could still get it as a maristar.

Can anyone confirm?
Old     (brucemac)      Join Date: Dec 2005       06-19-2006, 11:52 AM Reply   
ha ha thanks fellas. i have some more questions for ya. now before i ask, please, i'm not trying to piss anybody off, or start some messed up thread where people get mad and fight and bash each other. seriously, i'm not. this is just some honest questions for you guys. so here goes a little background.

i've always wanted a boat since before i can remember. i've always loved mastercraft's. i don't know if it was good marketing, or just the simple fact that they are gorgeous boats. at any rate we chased the sun over the mountains and drove 2.5 hours to a little spot over in eastern washington. we tent camped with our boat and our friends and theirs. good times. anyway, so we tied up to our slip that we rented and went to go finish getting ready for our day on the water. i came back to check on the boat and there was this beautiful black and white MC docked right behind us. the owner was there so i started chatting with him. i asked him if it was a 205V because it had the simple MC decal on the side instead of the tribe stuff (and i hadn't seen any 05 or 06 MC's up close and personal like that yet), and he said no, it was actually an 05 X2 and that he had changed the graphics. i gotta tell ya, the boat was hot man, it was super nice. he had it loaded up with all the goodies, all JL audio, from amps to towers speaks and subs. anyway we continued talking and i asked him where he was from. he said seattle and so i said, oh so you bought it from cope then. he said yeah. so we continued talking about his experience with them and he starts going on and on about all the problems he's had with the dealer and the boat. i mean, stuff i just couldn't believe. some of which could have been the dealer's fault, but dealer aside, most of this stuff was pretty incredible stuff being that he bought it new and had only used the thing 5 times in a year. his bilge pump had failed. his storage lockers had dug into his manifold, his ballast pump(s) had failed. his ballast bags were torn and leaked after having his pumps fixed. that wasn't everything, that's just what I could remember. on and on, this guy went on about how much he loved the looks of his boat, but that he'd never buy another mastercraft again. my heart sank. and worst of all, my wife was standing right there with me for half of the conversation. it was terrible. so i'm no dummy, i know that with boating in general, stuff is just going to happen. there's going to be problems, but to sit there and have this guy tell me that his 1 year old boat has caused him so much grief and that he wishes he would have bought an MB, or a Nautique, or even a Bayliner ("because they just work", he said) i couldn't believe my ears. so what's the story. i'd be especially interested to hear from you attila since you came from a little runabout like we have. again, i'm not trying to piss anybody off, or bash MC. heck, i love them. i want one. i think they super sweet looking, but i want to hear more honest opinions from you owners. if you want to email me, rather than post here, that's totally cool. email me at brucemac@gmail.com

my wife loved the boat. she loved the layout, the seating, all the room so i know in a few years the possibility could be there to upgrade, but i want to do my homework and if the aquisition cost is only part of the story to owning an expensive boat, then i need to know up front, because if it's as expensive to maintain the boat as it is to buy it, then i'll never be able to afford it.
:-(
Old     (talltigeguy)      Join Date: Sep 2003       06-19-2006, 12:40 PM Reply   
Brucemac - I am not a mastercraft owner (tallmastercraftguy sounds dumber than talltigeguy), but I think you make a great point. The cost of owning a boat can be huge. My boat has not had any significant problems, and even with that I am putting a fair amount of money into it. Gas, insurance, maintenance all are the obvious expenses. I seem to always want an extra goody here and there like wakeboards, surfboards, tubes, everyone runs over the rope once - there goes another 60 bucks. Every boat will have a few problems, the dealer support in managing that will be a big deal.

A day on the lake can cost a lot, by the time we load up snacks and drinks, it is another 30+ bucks. That adds up if you go much. We are usually tired after being on the lake all afternoon and then have to go out to eat - another 30 bucks.

I bet that if you get a new boat, you will use it more than the old boat, thus increasing your expenses.

Oh yeah, I dinged a prop once too. Bam! another $350 bucks for a spare and then some to repair the bent one.

(Message edited by talltigeguy on June 19, 2006)
Old     (lionel)      Join Date: Nov 2005       06-19-2006, 12:55 PM Reply   
Bruce, there are always two sides to every story. I can tell you his ballast pumps probably failed because he was an idiot and left them on while emptying. The old ballast impellers cannot run dry. MC fixed the problem and just came out with yellow polyurethane impellers that can run dry.

Having said that, I have not heard good things about the MC dealer in Seattle. It doesn't sound like this guy did his (dealer) homework. A MC is still a boat, an expensive boat and a lot of boats have problems, regardless of brand. The question remains: Will your dealer be able to fix the problems and keep you happy? Mine does....
Old     (brucemac)      Join Date: Dec 2005       06-19-2006, 12:55 PM Reply   
i hear ya talltigeguy. and i've come to understand that as just part of boating in general. but the types of problems this guy was telling me about weren't the kind of problems i would expect a 55k'ish boat to have. i mean, they weren't like incredibly big problems (except for maybe the manifold issue), but they were pesky and numerous enough that this guy had lost his love for MC. combine the problems with the issues he claimed to have with the dealer and i'd be pretty disappointed too. i mean, seriously, the guy told me he'd make me a great deal on it! (i should have gotten his number!). granted i had only just met the guy, but he seemed like a nice level-headed down to earth family guy. i mean, he wasn't totally bashing cope, or MC, but he was very honest in the fact that if he had to do it again, no way would he have gone down the same path. and i guess that's the question i'm asking. would you do it again?
Old     (brucemac)      Join Date: Dec 2005       06-19-2006, 1:01 PM Reply   
bryan, good point and you're right. maybe his expectations are/were too high. it's possible, but i just didn't get that impression. the guy was just very matter-of-fact about the whole conversation. in fact he even apoligized at the end because he could tell he had really bummed me out.
Old     (lionel)      Join Date: Nov 2005       06-19-2006, 1:04 PM Reply   
TallTige, great points. Filling the gas tank sets you back a fair amount. I have a friend I ride with and last year he hit some rocks. Insurance covered that one, but this year we hit an underwater pipe: $2,800 in damage and no insurance claim.
Old     (brucemac)      Join Date: Dec 2005       06-19-2006, 1:13 PM Reply   
yeah, again, all good stuff, but not really to what i'm speaking. i hit bottom my 3rd time out in our new boat last year so i know the feeling in the bottom of your stomach that brings. $700 later, my wife was not a happy camper. the routine maintenance and occasional prop i'm all good in the hood with. it's the cost of my time taking it to the shop and hassling with that stuff because stupid little stuff that breaks that i'm concerned about here. i guess at the end of the day it probably doesn't really matter since i'll probably have to pick up a slightly used one anyway. but i would like to hear from a few more owners.
Old     (attila916)      Join Date: Oct 2005       06-19-2006, 1:30 PM Reply   
Bruce, I just dropped off my MC this morning for the 20 hour service and minor warranty issues at Copes' new service facility here in Sac. After 26.1 hours I have no mechanical issues to report just a couple of minor cosmetic issues that I was told at the time of purchase would be addressed during my first service appointment.
I tend to agree with Brian's comments about the pumps. I also think the MC owner you mentioned probably overloaded the rear storage compartments which caused the plastic to touch the exhaust manifold. This probably resulted in some melted plastic, no biggie.

I made it clear to my dealer that I was ok with them not completing the warranty work that requires parts being ordered (except for one part they knew about at the time of purchase) I just wanted it documented so it can be repaired at a later date.(when its raining) With that said I do expect to get my boat back with screws tightened, oil, changed, and as clean or cleaner than when I dropped it off.

After speaking several x-star, x-2, x1 owners… the ones that seemed the most satisfied with their purchase were the ones that took the do it yourself approach. In other words the ones that took care of minor issues on their own rather than towing the boat down to the dealer every time something was loose, rattled, or seemed out of place. These foks took care of small issues that bugged them in order to avoid having their boat stuck at the service center in line behind other boats in prime boating season. They documented their findings and took the boat in at the end of the season and had everything handed in one visit. So I think that your level of expectation will play a huge role in your dealer experience.

I am scheduled to get my boat back on Friday.
Old     (brucemac)      Join Date: Dec 2005       06-19-2006, 2:10 PM Reply   
thanks for replying attila. those are good points and i think you're right about expectations. also good ideas about documenting with the dealer and having stuff handled at a later date. i know it's still early and you still have NBB, but would you do it again?

(Message edited by brucemac on June 19, 2006)
Old     (attila916)      Join Date: Oct 2005       06-19-2006, 2:18 PM Reply   
Oh yeah! All I think about is the next pull behind the new MC! It gets me through the work week and my statistics class!
Old     (phat_in_cincy)      Join Date: May 2003       06-19-2006, 2:30 PM Reply   
I agree with Attila that if you have a level of mechanical knowledge and willingness to DIY you may be much more pleased. Add to that a dealer who's main goal is to keep you on the water and work thru issues over the phone and you'll be even more pleased.
If you are buying new, shop your dealer and spend time...quite a bit of it, in their service area looking around, asking questions, and even finding customer opinions. The sales guys will sell you the boat, but it's the guys in the back that could make or break your overall experience.
Old     (brucemac)      Join Date: Dec 2005       06-19-2006, 2:48 PM Reply   
yeah paul. i'd have to go there and check it out. this guy was not happy at all with cope here in seattle. he said he felt like as soon as he signed the papers, they were done with him. me personally, i'm embarrassed to say i'm not very mechanically inclined, so that's why this is pretty important to me. as far as expectations are concerned, maybe i am expecting too much from a $55k'ish boat. i mean, let's face it, that's a lot of money. even to most here on this board. i just want to make a good decision and contiue to feel good about it. that's why i asked here in this forum. when the time comes, i guess i'll have to really check out the service center of the dealer.
Old     (brucemac)      Join Date: Dec 2005       06-19-2006, 2:50 PM Reply   
i'm kicking myself for not getting that guy's number. :-)
Old     (lionel)      Join Date: Nov 2005       06-19-2006, 3:16 PM Reply   
Bruce, $55k? Save $13k and get this loaded one in Portland for $42k. I'm guessing it has the MCX with 350 HP, not 330 HP.

http://portland.craigslist.org/boa/171216873.html

Problem with not buying from your dealer is that it might go to the end of the line for service/warranty work....

(Message edited by lionel on June 19, 2006)
Old     (brucemac)      Join Date: Dec 2005       06-19-2006, 3:22 PM Reply   
wow, that's sounds like a pretty sweet deal! wish it was black and white or red and white. those are my favs. thanks all you guys for the replies. is it bad bringing a boat into a dealer whom you didn't buy from? (used boat deal)
Old     (wakeslife)      Join Date: Jul 2005       06-19-2006, 3:35 PM Reply   
We have had an awesome experience with our Mastercraft so far and have been very pleased. The dealer has been treating us well also, which makes or breaks the deal.

Just recently the boat was in for the 20 hour check and some minor issues were adressed, but nothing major. We had a leak in one of the ballast tanks repaired, and had cutouts for cleats in the cover installed. Looking forward to using the hell out of the boat the rest of the summer! Don't rule out Mastercraft from one bad testimonial; if you end up going this route I'm sure you will be impressed.
Old     (brucemac)      Join Date: Dec 2005       06-19-2006, 3:56 PM Reply   
bryan

i emailed that guy in portland. boat's gone. at face value that appeared to be a pretty smokin' deal.

thanks upnorth. that's good to hear.
Old     (phat_in_cincy)      Join Date: May 2003       06-19-2006, 7:38 PM Reply   
Bruce,
You are right to have expectations. I have/had them and I think boat manufacturers expect their customers to have them.

No matter what brand, you have a ton of good online resources and people that will help.

FWIW, I'm on my 2nd MC and other than some very minor issues, it's all been good. I'm sure many, no matter what brand, can say the same!
Old     (brucemac)      Join Date: Dec 2005       06-19-2006, 7:46 PM Reply   
thanks paul bros it's good to hear some more positives. btw, sweet work on that custom ballast solution on your boat. i followed that thread and you did an awesome job.
Old     (point1234)      Join Date: Apr 2006       06-19-2006, 9:22 PM Reply   
This is my first Boat 06 x1 and i could not be happier. I looked at Nautique and they too are really nice boats. What made me go to a Mastercraft was a little more storage in the boat. and i was very familiar with the wake on a x2 now x1 and i liked it alot. Also my Dealer Redline watersports has been excellent to me. Could not be happier. IMO any boat on the water is a beautiful boat. because your on the water and not at work. except the sheriff there boats suck wish they would sink.