Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through March 15, 2005

Old     (drunkmonkey)      Join Date: Jun 2003       03-01-2005, 12:26 PM Reply   
doing a search on here, here were a number of complaints a few years back about Carlisle tires.

Anybody have more recent experience? I'm about to buy two new tires/wheels for the trailer from Discount Tire, and dont want to get some POS.
Old     (skibum69)      Join Date: Aug 2004       03-01-2005, 12:29 PM Reply   
why not go with the goodyear marathon trailer tires? I did have one detread on my trailer this fall and wreck the fiberglass fender, but goodyear stood behind their product and replaced my tire, fender and paid for the labor to fix it.
Old     (tahoe)      Join Date: Mar 2002       03-01-2005, 2:14 PM Reply   
2nd the Marathons. These replaced my Carlisles !
Old     (tyler_o)      Join Date: Nov 2004       03-01-2005, 3:18 PM Reply   
Recently replaced my Carlisles on one boat trailer. They were good for five years or so with no problems but I did hear a few bad stories about them when over weighted.
Old     (ldr)      Join Date: Nov 2002       03-01-2005, 4:26 PM Reply   
i work at america's/discount tire, you won't have any problem with the carlisles they are a great tire and they specialize in trailor tires. when one of our marathons got a hole that was unrepairable, my father and i decided to replace it with a carlisle. it's a comparable if not better tire than the maathon an it's cheaper.
Old     (auto)      Join Date: Aug 2002       03-01-2005, 5:18 PM Reply   
they suck. I had no choice but too get them on my duck hunting boat traler. 1500 miles later blowout, crapisles suck. Traded the duck boat trailer tire for marathons, just like the BU, would not even trust the crapisles for a spare. marathons are the way to go. Look at who the best trailer manu's go with. I tow over 20k miles a year between duck hunting and wakeboarding, and you will never a crapisle on any of my trailers.

(Message edited by auto on March 01, 2005)
Old     (sam8)      Join Date: Dec 2004       03-01-2005, 8:51 PM Reply   
The highest weight ratings for trailer radials I have found are from Denman. They are hard to find, but on paper they appear to be the best tire in the 15 inch ST sizes. Their Express ST radial ST205-75R15 is rated at 2150lb per tire, and they make a ST225-75R that is rated at 2540 per tire.
Look at the actual weight rating, not just the load range.
I've lost Goodyears in between Austin and Ely, Nevada, and Carlisle's in Jackpot, Nevada.

I regularly tow a trailer that is in excess of 8k, and the Denmans are going to be the next tire I put on. A friend with a triple axle Toyhauler got tired of the Marathon marathon, carrying three spares on a 1500 mile trip. He has had the Denmans for about three years now. No weather checking or cracking, the tires run cool, and he is right at 14k on the trailer.

I disagree with Shane; I think even the best trailers out there are regularly delivered with cheap tires that just, and I mean just, meet the max GVW rating for the axle(s).
Some trailer manufactures will upgrade the rubber if you want to pay for it, but most folks don't spend a lot of time spec'ing out a trailer. They just take whatever tire is on the rig, assuming that it is "new" so it will last a few years.Many times that assumption will bite ya in the behind.

IMHO.

AD

(Message edited by sam8 on March 01, 2005)
Old     (ralph)      Join Date: Apr 2002       03-01-2005, 10:36 PM Reply   
One of my 03 Carlisles delaminated after less than 1000 miles. I ditched them all, I don't trust them under my baby anymore
Old     (magic)      Join Date: Mar 2002       03-02-2005, 7:32 AM Reply   
I've had bad luck with my Carlisles too. Had one just explode a couple of summers ago. Prior to the trip I unloaded the boat (very little gas and no gear in it) and check all 4 tires.

All I can say is that having a blow out like that on the freeway made me glad to have a tandem trailer. There was no drama controling the trailer and pulling over.
Old     (bradstang)      Join Date: Feb 2004       03-02-2005, 11:42 AM Reply   
I was talking to my Dad about the tires ( Works for a tire & wheel mfg) and he said the trailer companies provide the specs for the tires, not the tire mfg. Bottom line is that the trailer mfg usally puts the cheapest possible tire on your trailer. He also said the most tires that come with a boat are not desisned to last very long( low mileage , slow speeds ). Another problem he mention was that trailer mfg's will use tires right at the maximum capacity (weight) for the tire. Last thing I remember him telling me was that boat trailers are usally exposed to a lot of sun that contributes to dry rot and break down of the tire. All of these factors can contribute to tire failure.

My dad said to determine your weight of trailer, boat & gear. Then shop around for a tire the meets your mileage, weight, & storage( outside/inside) needs. Also said that many tire with a "Name" would be mfg in the same plant in China as the tire without the "Name".

I checked my trailer, they are Goodyear Marathons! But I only pull my trailer 100 miles a year & store in a garage so I was not going to worry much anyways.

Old     (breadbutta)      Join Date: Dec 2003       03-02-2005, 4:54 PM Reply   
Here's a pic of a Carlisle tire from a buddies trailer. It de-treaded last year on the way back from Laughlin. Note the amount of tread still on the tire, this baby just exploded!

Not good
Old    waterdog2            03-02-2005, 5:23 PM Reply   
Most people think that just because there is still alot of tread left that the tire is still good. Age is the cause of most blow out's.
Old    amixman            03-03-2005, 6:43 AM Reply   
mine had 4k mi and were 2 years old i blew 2 on the way home from havasu last july , so people change your carlisle on your terms not in the middle of the desert!!!!

(Message edited by amixman on March 03, 2005)
Old     (auto)      Join Date: Aug 2002       03-03-2005, 6:58 AM Reply   
here is a pic of crapisle, pouring down rain on the way to duck hunt. The malibu dealer in dallas does not upcharge for marathons.

crapisle
Old     (barry)      Join Date: Apr 2002       03-03-2005, 7:14 AM Reply   
Changed mine to Marathon's after less than 400 miles on the tires. I had chunks of rubber flapping down to the cords on two of mine. Luckily I noticed and changed them before anything happened. They were less than a year old. The Marathons tow far better too.
Old    zboomer            03-03-2005, 7:33 AM Reply   
Where's the best place to get the Marathons? I notice the online places like Overtons sell them only with rims.
Old    swass            03-03-2005, 7:35 AM Reply   
I've had Tow Master tires on my trailers. They've been very reliable and trouble-free.
Old     (nbeihl)      Join Date: Mar 2004       03-04-2005, 8:16 AM Reply   
Bruce~ you said you were on your way back to "Laughlin" How do you have time to go sking when you are out there at a pilot training base!!!

hahaha I did the same thing last season!!!
Old    buttskimmer            03-04-2005, 11:00 AM Reply   
Discount tire