Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Wakesurfing

Old     (wakebrdr38)      Join Date: Sep 2006       09-23-2006, 1:53 PM Reply   
Is any one surfing behind an 80's Ski Nautique 2001? I was told they make great surf wakes. I cant seem to get it right though. If you could tell me how much weight you use, where to place it, and which side throws a better wake and at what speed, it would be GREATLY appreciated.
Old     (nick_in_ssp)      Join Date: Aug 2006       09-23-2006, 7:31 PM Reply   
Kevin, I have an '89 and I've surfed behind it a few times. I put a 750lbs. in the back where I built a box to put it in and then I have one of those triangle sacs that I fill about 75% also about 750lbs. when filled. Both are right in the middle of the boat at the back and then we have a couple of guys sit on the top of the box on the drivers side. We go straight and the sweet spot seems to be about 6 feet long. I am goofy footed and it was very nice, but the sweet spot is pretty close to the boat. I think we could go a little faster but just haven't. We use a 6 foot surf board and I could ride for hours behind the boat without falling if I wasn't goofing around. Be careful when stopping with that much weight in that narrow nautique, almost thought it was going to flip the boat one time. Scarred the B-Jesus out of me.
Old     (wakebrdr38)      Join Date: Sep 2006       09-24-2006, 9:36 AM Reply   
thanks nick, thats gonna be a big help, i was running 440 in the back 150 in front of that, and 440 on the drivers side, i think i just need to put all 880 in the back on the drivers side. the side of the boat is nearly under though and that has me a lil worried! what kind of prop are you using with that kind of wheight, im thinking of upgrading to an acme
Old     (nick_in_ssp)      Join Date: Aug 2006       09-24-2006, 4:06 PM Reply   
I do have an Acme four blade prop, but couldn't really tell you if it makes that much of a difference. From day one when I got my boat I bought the for blade prop. From stuff I have heard and read, a four blade prop is the single best upgrade you can get for a boat. I love the prop and now have a back up prop with the three blade that came with the boat, always nice to have. Try putting all the weight in the middle of the boat and have your friends adjust with where they are sitting. When someone falls have them jump back in the middle or front of the boat so you don't feel like the water is going to come over the side. Good luck, and play around with the speed and the weight placement. Even the 7-10 times I have surfed I still don't think I have it dialed in as much as it can get.
Old     (wakebrdr38)      Join Date: Sep 2006       09-24-2006, 7:16 PM Reply   
thanks man, gonna try that stuff this weekend!
Old     (woodawg)      Join Date: Dec 2003       09-27-2006, 10:47 AM Reply   
This is my 84 2001 wake, Old school "Fat Sac" filled to the max in the back, a Tube Sac on the surf side, and usually one to two peolpe sitting in the back.
Upload

(Message edited by woodawg on September 27, 2006)

(Message edited by woodawg on September 27, 2006)
Old     (Ski_Antique)      Join Date: May 2013       05-07-2013, 1:00 PM Reply   
Heck yeah! Throw that 80's nautique in the water and follow these simple steps!

#1 - Sac up with about 1100lbs in the back corner. (image)
#2 - Drink Red Bull (image 1)
#3- Jump in- burr! (image 3)
#4- Carve it up! (image 2)

We had one driver and one passenger in the boat when these pictures were taken. Contrary to popular belief, with the right trim, both sides of an old 1984 ski nautique are fun to surf from. Good times!
Attached Images

Last edited by Ski_Antique; 05-07-2013 at 1:04 PM. Reason: accuracy
Old     (dvsone79)      Join Date: Dec 2012       05-07-2013, 6:45 PM Reply   
From my experience surfing behind my buddy's '04 CC SAN (prop spins to the right) and my '99 MC 205v (left hand prop rotation) the side your prop spins to seems to be cleanest to surf on. So on his we surf on right side, and mine surfs left side.
Old     (Ski_Antique)      Join Date: May 2013       05-07-2013, 7:13 PM Reply   
Here is a picture of the other side of the sn2001 wake without the rider. We're still tweaking. More updates in a few weeks. Note that we added 300lbs of sumo sac to the back seat vs the first pic I posted.
Attached Images

Old     (joeqtc)      Join Date: Jun 2013       06-15-2013, 4:13 PM Reply   
I have an 84 nautique and having a hard time getting a good wake to surf. I have 1300lbs of sacks but the wake is all white water. How fast do you go and how can you change the trim? Any suggestions?
Old     (nathansandiego)      Join Date: Oct 2011       06-18-2013, 4:23 PM Reply   
surf between 9-11mph. if it is too washy, move some of the weight forwards