Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles

Old     (ifinallygota21v)      Join Date: Oct 2006       06-26-2012, 7:27 PM Reply   
It's been a while since I've been in a Malibu and wanted to see ow the two boats compare to each other. I have a 2009 21v
Old     (gnarslayer)      Join Date: Sep 2008       06-26-2012, 7:30 PM Reply   
i used to have a supra with the same hull as you and il just say that the vlx wake will get much larger than the supra... on the malibu you can ride longer lengths and the wake will stay cleaner at low speeds. the malibu also has more room

not hating on supras, i just think the vlx is a better boat than this particular supra model
Old     (fman)      Join Date: Nov 2008       06-26-2012, 8:07 PM Reply   
Regarding size, both are 21' boats, the vlx is actually 6" longer and has a wider beam. The vlx has MUCH more room than the 21v. I was surprised how much more space the vlx had. Not sure about the 21v wake, but the vlx wake has been proven for years. As noted, very clean at lower speeds and user friendly. This is Malibus top selling wakeboat.

Have never been behind the 21v, have heard good things about the wake.
Old     (bzubke1)      Join Date: Feb 2010       06-26-2012, 9:46 PM Reply   
The 21v is 21'4" the VLX is 21'6". Just got a 2012 21v at the beginning of this season and there was about a 10k+ difference in price.
Old     (fman)      Join Date: Nov 2008       06-26-2012, 10:35 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by bzubke1 View Post
The 21v is 21'4" the VLX is 21'6". Just got a 2012 21v at the beginning of this season and there was about a 10k+ difference in price.
I stand corrected, you are right on the length and 99" beam on the 21v. The VLX has more lounge space because the ski lockers are shorter in length.. The 21v has a lounge similar to the Malibu VTX, which is a 20 ft boat.. You either love or hate the Supra bag ballast system, never cared for the "timer" fill system. IMO, does not compare to the vlx quad hard tanks with actual floats and gauges and power wedge. Loosing all your ski locker space when you fill your ballast never made sense to me. I also prefer the G3 tower over anything Supra is offering. I also like how Malibu does not put carpet in ski lockers and offers snap out carpet.

Anyway, make sure and spend some time in both of them. They are both really nice boats...

Last edited by fman; 06-26-2012 at 10:44 PM.
Old     (Raf1985)      Join Date: Mar 2012       06-26-2012, 9:57 PM Reply   
I'm not too sure about the newer ones but when I was looking for a boat I was comparing the 2006 malibu to the 2005 21v and it was a no brainer. The 21v had much more room/storage and I liked the wake better. It almost felt like I was paying for a name with the malibu. Not too sure about the newer models though.
Old     (bzubke1)      Join Date: Feb 2010       06-26-2012, 10:38 PM Reply   
I really like the play pen bow for storage but the way the cabin seats pull out is kind of a pain.When not filled with ballast we use the play pen to store coolers, ballast bags and pumps.
Old     (tyler97217)      Join Date: Aug 2004       06-27-2012, 4:38 AM Reply   
It will be a preference thing. Here are the points:
Supra wake is much steeper than the vlx's
Malibu will feel slightly bigger in the cabin, cause the supra has a larger sundpad
The supra is easier to add weight to the stock ballasts and have it all plumbed
Motors are really the same indmar and similar carpets and materials inside.
Supra has more standard features for less money (gps, swivel racks, z5, etc)

They are both awesome boats and would be my too choices so no one could ever go wrong but I prefer the wake of the 21v and the cost gap of $10k difference makes it easy for me. Again, it is your own preference that matters though.
Old     (jarrod)      Join Date: May 2003       06-27-2012, 8:31 AM Reply   
"It almost felt like I was paying for a name with the malibu. "

And so will the next guy that buys it from you. A Malibu will be much easier to sell.

I agree with J.B.