Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Wakeboarding Discussion

Old     (corerider)      Join Date: May 2008       01-24-2012, 11:10 AM Reply   
So my 5yo (6 in May) started surfing with me last Summer and I think she will ask to try wakeboarding this season. She weighs about 50 pounds. I've been looking a bit at what is offered and have come up with 2 so far...

Ronix
http://ronixwake.com/default_mens.as...VisionBoysEdtn

Hyperlite
http://hyperlite.com/WAKEBOARDS/Kid-s/Jr-Motive

The Hyperlite, being that I can get a 109 would be better for her size right now, but the Ronix or the Motive 119 could offer room for growing while she gets older. I've taught may adults but never a child and could use some input here guys. Any of you with kids about the same age that have/had a good board looking to move up I would be willing to take a good used board as well. Bindings are another thing I haven't had much luck with. Any opinions there would help as well.
Old     (baitkiller)      Join Date: Jan 2010       01-24-2012, 11:29 AM Reply   
Get the Ronix.
Amazing board and she will ride it for 4 years.
My only concern would be her inability to re-right the board when face down. My guess is she couldn't swing either board.
With that in mind, get the better board with more headroom.
I bought the vision for my oldest son two years ago.
He is now 75 lbs and shreds it fin less.
His 65 lbs brother rides it fin less too.
Their 55 lbd baby sister can ride it but prefers her 111 LF star because it has pretty pictures and the boots are smaller.

OIH yeah, boots.. The Vision boots are very very good. The board and boots weigh nothing. Its lighter than sisters star.
Old     (TParke)      Join Date: Aug 2011       01-24-2012, 11:31 AM Reply   
I have three boys ages 10 8 and 6. They started riding a year ago. I bought the Hyperlite 109 for the same reasons as you. My 10 year old could still ride it but I decided to get him a 124 this year and it has really helped him. The other 2 are still riding the 109. That 109 is very easy to learn on. The biggest things for my kids was learning how to flip the board over or swing it around to get lined up with the boat. She will most likely pop right up. If you need any tips let me know. The nice thing about a smaller board is it is easier for them to handle when they are belly down and need to turn over etc.... Or a lot easier to carry if you are at the cable. If you buy the 109 you can still use the bindings for a long time. You would just need to upgrade the board in a couple of seasons.
Old     (Bumpass1)      Join Date: Oct 2010       01-24-2012, 11:33 AM Reply   
My daughter is 7 (55-60lbs) and I have her on a Liquid Force Star 118. She kills on that thing. I know that it comes in 3 sizes (111, 118, and 124) so you have some choices. Each board is slightly different to accommodate the different levels of ability. The 111 is stable and less likely to catch an edge. 118 gets a little more aggressive for edging. The 124 starts to add some pop into the board. There is a video out that explains the differences between the 3. It came with matching bindings that are easy on easy off. Post some pictures of the little ripper once she gets stable. Our kids today will be the ones throwing hammers tomorrow.

http://www.wakeworld.com/products/in..._detail&p=5516
Old     (baitkiller)      Join Date: Jan 2010       01-24-2012, 12:31 PM Reply   
Aside from the board i can give you a couple kid pointers. Others here will have more as well.
#1 get that girl a skateboard ( a good skateboard that actually turns, not a walmart brand.{ Craigs list here}) and have her take it everywhere she goes that it's even vaguely legal to do so. Sleep with that thing until summer.
#2 Put her in a pool with the board on.
#3 Beach launch her first few pulls with somebody skilled holding and launching. (This is the one thing I have ever found a jetski useful for)
#4 peer encouragement is huge. Big loud Woot Woots from the whole boat and beach will get her back for another try.
Nothing like having two brothers and Dad jump off the boat to boost her when she gets up the first time!
have fun.

Last edited by baitkiller; 01-24-2012 at 12:35 PM.
Old     (Riteride)      Join Date: Sep 2010       01-24-2012, 12:34 PM Reply   
Had my son on the 109 by himself last summer at 3.5 yrs old.. I worked with him in the pool first to make sure he learned to flip himself over before we put him behind the boat.. He was so light that he popped up just by putting the boat in gear. He rode at about 5-8 mph.. Here is a pic of him surfing with me last summer. I will post a pic of him on the wakeboard later today..
Attached Images

Old     (jfergus7)      Join Date: Jul 2011       01-24-2012, 6:08 PM Reply   
Great thread! I will be looking for several boards this spring. I am getting myself a new one. And I need to get one for my gf, and 3 others for my 5 daughters. Going to be an expensive spring for me this year.
Old     (Bumpass1)      Join Date: Oct 2010       01-24-2012, 6:13 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by jfergus7 View Post
Great thread! I will be looking for several boards this spring. I am getting myself a new one. And I need to get one for my gf, and 3 others for my 5 daughters. Going to be an expensive spring for me this year.
Expensive no doubt. I need to pickup a cheap boat board and some wide range bindings for it. I have people that go put with us that are too cheap to buy their own setup and I will not let them them us mine. I have also been keeping my eye on a Time Bomb and a new set of Defy bindings. I keep dropping the hint to my wife for my birthday (Arpil) but I don't think she is picking up on it. Considering I just got a new setup this past summer!! I guess I will have to sneek a weeks overtime away without her knowing

Last edited by Bumpass1; 01-24-2012 at 6:17 PM.
Old     (jfergus7)      Join Date: Jul 2011       01-24-2012, 6:21 PM Reply   
I have been hinting for my board for my birthday in April also but don't think it is gonna happen. I am actually picking up 2 brand new snowboard setups this weekend so aside from the expensive costs my toy collection is greatly increasing! Now if I can just afford a new boat! That's 2 years away. I HOPE!
Old     (cccbuilders)      Join Date: Jun 2007       01-25-2012, 10:20 AM Reply   
I would go with the HL Eden 125 plenty of room for growth and is a great board, My son and daughter have riden this board since they where 6. My daughter weighs about 50-60 lbs and loves it. I would not get the 109 it will be to small. the bigger surface is no problem for just starting out.

http://hyperlite.com/PRODUCT/WAKEBOA...-s/Eden-w/Lark
Old     (slipknot)      Join Date: Aug 2001       01-25-2012, 12:26 PM Reply   
I have a couple of new liquid force stars for sale, 111, 118, 124 I will post pics tonight

on the cheap of course, full setup $150 obo
Old     (wake_upppp)      Join Date: Nov 2003       01-25-2012, 12:52 PM Reply   
Have a real nice HL Devine 119 with HL Pixie bindings in excellent shape. My girlfriends daughter went thru a growth spurt and only rode it for last season, maybe 10 rides. Let me know if interested or if you want pics. It's the pink one from 09 or 10 I believe.
Old     (jfergus7)      Join Date: Jul 2011       01-25-2012, 5:33 PM Reply   
Might be interested closer to spring. Big snowboards purchase the next few days. If either of you still have those boards around April let me know!
Old     (corerider)      Join Date: May 2008       02-03-2012, 8:34 PM Reply   
So about a week ago I get the following PM from Jesse McMeel at HO Sports warranty department...

Quote:
Hey Jason, I run the warranty department for H.O. Sports/ Hyperlite/ Byerly brands. I read your post on looking for a good wakeboard for your 5 year old to start out on. We love to see newcomers to the sport and would like to help in getting a future shredder out on the water. I would like to send over a Hyperlite care package that consists of a 109 Divine with Sprint boots size Mini. The 109 is recommended for kids up to 95 pounds and is perfect for getting the basics down. Let me know if this is something you would be interested in. If you want to email me i can be reached at HOWarranty@hosports.com. Thank you, Jesse McMeel
At first I was like, yeah right too good to be true! I emailed Jesse back though thinking maybe this was just an offer for a discounted blem or something. He gives me the number for their CS line and says talk to Grant and tell him "it's on me". I call Grant and give him my address as he is reading back through mine and Jesse's emails. Makes sure I get the board and bindings we talked about and then asks if I need anything else like ropes etc... Stunned I say you guys have done more than enough, but thank you.

Long story short, here is my daughter with her very first wake board courtesy of Jesse McMeel and Grant (sorry can't remember your last name) from HO Sports. Even though you told me this forum thanks wasn't necessary, massive props to both of you for this gift and there will definitely be pictures come this Summer of a very happy little girl and her Father both doing something they love! Thanks go out to everyone that gave me some pointers for teaching her as well. They will come in handy.

Last edited by corerider; 02-03-2012 at 8:36 PM.
Old     (jfergus7)      Join Date: Jul 2011       02-03-2012, 10:12 PM Reply   
Sure is a happy looking little girl! Congrats on a great gift hope she enjoys it. Looking forward to seeing pictures of her on it this summer!
Old     (durty_curt)      Join Date: Apr 2008       02-04-2012, 3:15 AM Reply   
Big congrats on the hook up! Now your daughter is happy.. And so are you!
Old     (Bumpass1)      Join Date: Oct 2010       02-04-2012, 7:35 AM Reply   
That is fantastic. Very cool of them to offer up a complete setup for your girl. She will be throwing temper tantrums before you know it!!!!
Old     (TParke)      Join Date: Aug 2011       02-04-2012, 9:34 AM Reply   
I love to hear stories like this. Congrats man.
Old     (ridemarktwain)      Join Date: Aug 2008       02-16-2012, 4:53 PM Reply   
Awesome! I can not weight for my little girl to start riding, she is almost two so I have a couple years.