Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Wakeboarding Discussion Archives > Archive through March 22, 2007

Old     (pureblue)      Join Date: Jun 2002       03-20-2007, 10:09 PM Reply   
I was reading through the watson interview and noticed that he threw out the thought that almost all the tricks have been invented. What does everyone think about that? Are we at the boundaries of what can be done on a wakeboard? Obviously no one can do every trick invented so riders will always have harder tricks to try to master. Does anyone here much of the pros inventing new tricks these days?
Old     (dmcguirt23)      Join Date: Aug 2004       03-20-2007, 10:43 PM Reply   
Didn't Lyman invent a new trick a year or two ago? The Misty Mobe.
Old     (eubanks01)      Join Date: Jun 2001       03-21-2007, 7:06 AM Reply   
I am surprised he said that. There will always be newer and harder things to do on a wakeboard. Look at snowboarding and skatboarding.
Old     (bwog21)      Join Date: Aug 2006       03-21-2007, 7:18 AM Reply   
double roll mobe 5, been working on that one, once i get that then all the tricks have been invented.
Old     (andy_nintzel)      Join Date: Sep 2004 Location: Minnesnowda       03-21-2007, 7:39 AM Reply   
I would like to think that we have not even touched surface of whats possible on a wakeboard.
Old     (pearsonville)      Join Date: Feb 2002       03-21-2007, 7:56 AM Reply   
I have been working on a wrapped boned-out-shifty 1080...

then I woke up.
Old     (wakeworld)      Join Date: Jan 1997       03-21-2007, 8:52 AM Reply   
Makes me think of the guy that quit working at the U.S. Patent Office in the 1800's because he thought everything had already been invented. I think we've got a way to go yet.
Old     (uppledup17)      Join Date: Sep 2005       03-21-2007, 9:02 AM Reply   
Wasn't there a discussion about tricks we would like to see? Some tricks I guess are there...hs/bs 9 I believe was one we talked about. Also, With the Vandall back on the water I can see him coming up with something new.
Old     (wakecis)      Join Date: Jun 2005       03-21-2007, 9:04 AM Reply   
nope, we are getting close. (same as all the other boardsports) there will always be room for serious progression, but it's not gonna be through newly invented tricks (flip #; degrees spun)

think outside the box, because the box is getting pretty full.
Old     (wakecis)      Join Date: Jun 2005       03-21-2007, 9:13 AM Reply   
oh yeah, snowboarders always start half-pipe runs with a straight air. i recently learned that a straight air is often required. let's require that in wakeboarding!

all comps, regardless of division shoudl require one (non-raley) air, 180 degrees or less.
Old     (wakeboard19)      Join Date: Apr 2005       03-21-2007, 9:18 AM Reply   
Most of the bases are invented. Its just putting variations together.
Old     (wakeworld)      Join Date: Jan 1997       03-21-2007, 9:25 AM Reply   
That's actually a really good idea. What if you had a comp where the hardest trick the pros can do it a 180? Basically, the judging would all have to be based on style and grabs. I'd pay to see that!
Old     (jarrod)      Join Date: May 2003       03-21-2007, 9:37 AM Reply   
Dave...that's a great idea actually. I think all of the judges would have to be on the boat though to really capture the style.
Old     (pureblue)      Join Date: Jun 2002       03-21-2007, 9:38 AM Reply   
So maybe the base of tricks is there, but we can still greatly expand on variations and style. Cause really there are only so many ways you can twist your body in the air. Is progression really adding more rotations or flips? Or is it adding more difficulty with variations of current tricks and style?
Old     (board2death)      Join Date: Apr 2006       03-21-2007, 10:19 AM Reply   
They'll NEVER do a flip on a motorcycle.......
Oh wait, my bad......
"All tricks have been invented" is pretty closed minded statement....
Old     (jcv)      Join Date: Oct 2005       03-21-2007, 10:28 AM Reply   
Dude, at least it's safe to assume no one will ever do two flips on a motorcycle.
Old     (jcv)      Join Date: Oct 2005       03-21-2007, 10:32 AM Reply   
What was the last completely unique trick (i.e. something that didn't just add an extra 180 to an existing trick) on a wakeboard?

The 009 or SOB's osmosis 5 grabbed throughout are the only things that comes to mind within the last 5 years. Ever Soven's whirly dick is just a whirly 5 with an extra 180 thrown in.
Old     (wakebrdr38)      Join Date: Sep 2006       03-21-2007, 10:44 AM Reply   
jeff- LOL, there will prolly be 3 someday...even though whats his face claims hell never do a double again
Old     (board2death)      Join Date: Apr 2006       03-21-2007, 10:47 AM Reply   
Actually didn't Travis Pastrana do a DOUBLE at the last X Games? Never say never...... or was that sarcasm????

Wakeboarding wasn't the 1080 the "undo-able" trick recently? There will be plenty of new tricks invented by those that haven't found the ceiling yet
Old     (jcv)      Join Date: Oct 2005       03-21-2007, 10:51 AM Reply   
"...... or was that sarcasm????"

Just a little.
Old    murrayair            03-21-2007, 10:58 AM Reply   
I agree with what wakeitup said about how much of it is just putting together variations. I think in 10 years we will look back and say "Can you believe people used to think that all tricks had been invented?"
Old     (longlakerider)      Join Date: Mar 2007       03-21-2007, 11:55 AM Reply   
i think the way things are going, the wakes are going to get bigger and the boards are gunna pop harder so theres so many new varitions of old tricks or even new tricks that people will start to throw regularly
Old     (tonka)      Join Date: May 2006       03-21-2007, 12:24 PM Reply   
My prediction:

Rusty will land the first HS BS 900.
Harf will land the first switch TS 1260
Soven will land a switch TS Whirlydick 900.
Old     (mofreestyle)      Join Date: Jan 2006       03-21-2007, 12:36 PM Reply   
longlakerider,

I agree the innovations in boards and the wakes we're riding are always giving us the ability to get more and more air. So my question is will we ever hit a limit were our bodies can't handle the huge airs. I mean we all know wakeboarding takes a toll on our bodies when are we gonna hit the limit of the human body. Not saying it's soon but just something to think about.

This subject has been discussed by so many people in all sports and some how there are always new tricks. I think we still have room for new tricks well at least I hope so.
Old     (jason_ssr)      Join Date: Apr 2001       03-21-2007, 1:20 PM Reply   
It has all been done. However, that doesnt mean there is no room for progression. I mean, there are only 2 axis to rotate on and two directions on each axis (yes i realize you can rotate off axis, but the movement is still the same). Once every direction and axis combination has been done there is nothing left to do but add 180s.

Progression is no longer associated with the body movement. I think progression is now in the location and sessioning of different places. creativity in boardsports has always come with the change of locale. thats where the creativity is. Its not what can you do, but what can you do with the terrain you are given. I still think one of the coolest things I ever saw on a wakeboard is Necrasson hopping up over the bulkhead and sliding through the grass cutting that corner. He didnt "build" some monstrocity to slide, it was just there and he was creative with it. IMO, thats what real style is.
Old     (oopsds92)      Join Date: Apr 2006       03-21-2007, 4:39 PM Reply   
well also think about this...
in snowboarding, the tricks are endless,( u could jump off cliffs or make kickers bigger) but in wakeboarding how big can u get? if u think about it, a wake on a boat can only get so big. i mean is it possible to go bigger than a 1080? (from watchin harf and rustys 1080 videos, it looked sooo hucked!) how big could the wake get? then again, there is the companies that are adding things to put on your tower for a higher pull point. im not saying nothing about adding extra variations, but how big is that wake gonna get, so in my simple mind, i would think there could only get so big... wat do u think?
Old     (dekay)      Join Date: Sep 2006       03-21-2007, 4:59 PM Reply   
How about building a two piece 64 ft a-frame slider that is placed on trailers so that you can transport them AND having wallrides on the sides. Dean Lavelle built it... two weeks ago. You may not know it, but the sport of wakeboarding is being pushed in different directions every day.
Old     (pureblue)      Join Date: Jun 2002       03-21-2007, 5:51 PM Reply   
Ya who knows how big the wake will get. I mean, maybe someday the bottom of the boat will be a very different shape that makes a huge wake. And what will was saying about the new sliders with a wallride that sounds sweet and will push the sport further. I remember when sliders weren't around at all, and now they are a big part of the sport.
Old     (jarrod)      Join Date: May 2003       03-21-2007, 6:06 PM Reply   
"in snowboarding, the tricks are endless"

I was thinking the opposite. Wakeboarding has TS and HS, then front side and back side, off axis and on axis, and they all look different. We haven't even talked about flips yet where you have heel and toe fronts and backs, and again, they all look completely different. Start staking up the Mobe tricks and we have some serious variations.

More than snowboarding, no?
Old     (hyule)      Join Date: Nov 2006       03-21-2007, 6:34 PM Reply   
I think we are slowly coming to the END of wakeboarding.
Old     (pureblue)      Join Date: Jun 2002       03-21-2007, 6:36 PM Reply   
Ya once everytrick is made, everyone will decide that wakeboarding is pointless and will sell their boats