Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Girls Who Ride

Old     (nu2dagam)      Join Date: May 2004       04-21-2008, 10:47 AM Reply   
I have an 11 (in June) year old daughter that weighs 65 lbs. and has never wakeboarded before. She does gymnastics (handsprings, but does not do no handed flips yet) and is very athletic. She is tiny though. I was thinking about buying her this set up and wanted some feedback from you girls if I could get it. She wears a size 1 kids shoe. What do you think?

http://cgi.ebay.com/LIQUID-FORCE-WAKEBOARD-BINDINGS-MICRO-GIRLS-XS-S-NIP_W0QQitemZ130215057326QQihZ003QQcategoryZ47362Q QssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem#ebayphotohost ing

http://cgi.ebay.com/2007-HYPERLITE-DIVINE-119-cm-JR-WAKEBOARD-BRAND-NEW_W0QQitemZ300217744540QQihZ020QQcategoryZ47363Q QssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem
Old     (nu2dagam)      Join Date: May 2004       04-21-2008, 10:58 AM Reply   
I am actually worried about the size of the bindings more than anything.
Old     (aliwake)      Join Date: Dec 2006       04-21-2008, 3:38 PM Reply   
I agree, the bindings will be crucial. particularly when kids are a bit hesitant to try riding, having an excuse like bindings that are uncomfortable or too tight will come up a lot!!
Also, if she does end up liking wakeboarding, a girl that athletic will probably progress quite quickly, and those boots look like they'd have almost no support which is no good once she starts jumping etc. I honestly believe it's worth shelling out some extra cash for well fitting, supportive bindings.
Fair enough buy the board on ebay, but she really needs to try some boots on!
Old     (nu2dagam)      Join Date: May 2004       04-22-2008, 9:13 AM Reply   
Sounds good, I am looking at a LF Star 118 and that LF Divine 119. Any input on either one of these?
Old     (alliecat0223)      Join Date: Oct 2006       04-22-2008, 9:33 AM Reply   
The divine will be a great board for her. that is what I started out on myself. An its my fave to tell people to start out on. I would look at the blur bindings for that board even though they are 08, or the Ronix rise bindings for her.
Old     (marcy)      Join Date: Aug 2006       04-22-2008, 9:35 AM Reply   
Depending on how quickly she picks it up, those boards may end up being too small. Last summer my daughter was 11, weighed about 65 pounds, and was about 4'4" tall. She started the season on her 121 from the previous year and she decided it was too small. In fact refused to ride it and started using my 134, which was obviously too big for her. I took her to one of the Maven sessions where she rode a 124 and loved it. After that we bought her a 128 and she was clearing the wake her second time out on the new board. I don't know if you've ever seen Taylor McCullough ride, but I think she's only 9 or 10 and rides a 124. And I agree with the post above about the bindings, they have to try them on first. Even if you find the ones you want in your local pro shop and then look for them online, at least you'll know they fit right.
Old     (nu2dagam)      Join Date: May 2004       04-22-2008, 11:13 AM Reply   
Thank you ladies very much. I just have to make a decision and pull the trigger. I may just go with the 119 and let her ride it a year and then sell it next year if she wants something bigger. I need to get her up on the wake first. I hope she enjoys it.
Old     (nu2dagam)      Join Date: May 2004       04-22-2008, 11:23 AM Reply   
Marcy, how long has your daughter been wakeboarding?
Old     (marcy)      Join Date: Aug 2006       04-22-2008, 11:43 AM Reply   
She started riding when she was about 4 by sitting on my husband's lap and standing up with him and them just holding onto his legs while he rode. But she was much happier to just sit on the tube or ride a kneeboard. We got her her own wakeboard when she was 6 and she popped up immediately the first try by herself, but still wasn't that into it. We put her on a snowboard team winter 2006/2007 and she started hitting the parks and the half pipe and loved that. So when last summer rolled around, she was finally ready to get a little more aggressive. Before last summer, she would probably only ride 3-5 times an entire season. She also started wakesurfing last summer. She surfed for over 5 minutes her first try and probably would have kept going if someone hadn't power turned and swamped her with their wake.
Old     (nu2dagam)      Join Date: May 2004       04-23-2008, 5:36 AM Reply   
So I found a deal on a 2007 LF Nemesis 124 with LF Element Bindings. I know I am being kind of wishy washy on this, but I want to get her a good set up of course. Does that pckage sound decent for a young girl? She does snowboard with me, although she doesnt rip.
Old     (criswb)      Join Date: Oct 2005       04-23-2008, 7:50 AM Reply   
Thats a very good setup, a very beginner friendly board and the element bindings, although they're not high end, do provide enough support. With that size it will be easier for her to get up. As long as she doesnt mind it being boy graphics! But you can put lots of girly stickers on it!
Old     (sonironi)      Join Date: Jul 2007       05-08-2008, 9:21 PM Reply   
I am 31 and the size of a child and weigh less than 100lbs. I was in gymnastics,etc., for over 15 yrs. I wear a size 13.5 in kids. I have a great set up and love it!!! I'm still a beginner as well. My boyfriend got me a lotus Angel board and he was able to find bindings by lotus as well. I have Lotus boys/girls Micro switch bindings. They're lace up, and I'm able to customize the fit to my very tiny and narrow feet. they're comfortable and they only bindings I have found that I feel secure in. they don't come up too high on my shins and I feel secure. it did take some searching...a lot of searching. The binding were the hardest to find and figure out.
Old     (wkbrd)      Join Date: Mar 2006       05-16-2008, 5:54 AM Reply   
Jonathan- that set up would be fine for her. LF came out with much improved bindings over the last few years. They are very comfortable for an entry level boot and at a very good price point. Taylor started out on the mighty elements about 5 years ago and loved them. I also agree at 11 years old start atleast the 124. Taylor has rode a 124 for about 2 years now and she is just now almost 10