Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Wakeboarding Discussion Archives > Archive through March 27, 2008

Old     (backnmia)      Join Date: Feb 2008       02-24-2008, 5:54 PM Reply   
Newbie here, looking to buy a wakeboard but have zero knowledge. I'm 5'7, 145 lbs. Should I shop for a particular size/model/etc?
Old     (cwb_fooguitarlz)      Join Date: Nov 2006       02-24-2008, 6:01 PM Reply   
134-139...depending on how wide the board is.
Old     (backnmia)      Join Date: Feb 2008       02-24-2008, 6:05 PM Reply   
what does the 134-139 signify? Remember...I have zero knowledge of this, sorry
Old     (cwb_fooguitarlz)      Join Date: Nov 2006       02-24-2008, 6:14 PM Reply   
lol, no it's my fault...

134cm to 139cm. it measures how long the board is, but as the board gets wider it displaces more water and you don't necessarily have to have a board quite as long. You always want to pay close attention to bottom features of the board. Things like fins, a center spine, the tip/tail shape, and arguably the most important feature, the rocker. you're going to want a continuous rocker because they are more predictable and that's the bottom line. There is also a three stage rocker which will give you more pop, but it is less predictable. That is the bottom line, and there are different variations of each type of rocker, but as a beginner it won't make much difference. Obviously the more fins you have, the easier it is going to be to ride the board. I would also look for something that you can use for a long time so you don't have to keep buying new boards. I'm biased towards an Obrien Player because I've ridden it for a year and I love it. It has definetly me a better rider.

I'm not a good teacher so I won't go much farther with it, but I'm sure someone will tune in here.

If you use the WakeWorld buyer's guide for a wakeboard, it will show you all of the beginner/intermediate boards there are.

(Message edited by cwb_fooguitarlz on February 24, 2008)
Old     (backnmia)      Join Date: Feb 2008       02-24-2008, 6:20 PM Reply   
lol, cool, thanks bro, I'll do some online research and talk with someone at a shop or something before I buy. I'm just gonna get a basic type of board for a beginner/intermediate and I'll learn along the way. thanks again