Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through June 10, 2005

Old     (skibum69)      Join Date: Aug 2004       03-15-2005, 8:16 AM Reply   
Does anyone know who the factory mastercraft ballast emptying is setup? I am trying to install a system like it. From what I understand it uses the same pumps as filling but in reverse to empty. Does it use a check valve to get it to pump out the side of the boat?
Thanks.
Old     (skibum69)      Join Date: Aug 2004       03-15-2005, 8:56 AM Reply   
I have this diagram from mymastercraft.

But can anyone help me with the valve or what not that divert the water.
Old     (phat_in_cincy)      Join Date: May 2003       03-15-2005, 10:05 AM Reply   
Jason,
My '02 X10 Mastercraft stock ballast used check valves. If I recall correctly, the first check valve is after the thru hull intake. The other two are on the "ballast empty" lines out the sides.
Paul
Old     (cdm)      Join Date: Aug 2003       03-15-2005, 4:16 PM Reply   
that is correct, it does use check valves. The most important aspect of the newer ballast systems installed in MC is the manifold. This imo, is the base of the system. The water comes in through the thru hull, passes through the on/ off valve and then thru a large check valve. the water then goes into the manifold. from there it is routed out thru the pumps and into the ballast tanks. the system uses jebsco water puppies, self priming pumps. the fill and empty holes on the tanks are used to fill and empty the tanks. to empty the tank flip the switches. the water is pumped out of the tank thru the pump and back into the manifold, where it is routed out the two port and starboard thru hulls (drain holes). the water cannot go out the hull intake bacause of hte check valve and the water cannot go to the other tanks bacause of the path of least resistance, the pump is preventing the flow of water. by using check valves and the manifold you can effectively control the ballast levels in all 3 tanks independently. I even drilled two more holes and installed fittings on my stock manifold, added two more pumps, for a total of 5, to add two more sacs beside the engine. and for the record I can run all 5 jebsco water puppies at the same time fill or empty with a problem ever.... besides impeller issues. this is in my 03' X-Star. let me know if you have any questions. MC imo, by far has the best stock system. My only concern with it is the pumps. they eat up impellers and are a bit noisy, however when adding some lubrication to the impellers they seem to last longer.
Old     (wpstevenson)      Join Date: May 2002       03-15-2005, 6:12 PM Reply   
CDM

What impellers are you using? Jabsco replacement # for that pump is 6303-0001 Try using jabsco # 6303-0023 they are made out of different material, they are a little more expensive, work just as well and will last a lot longer. The same jabsco ballast puppy pump with that impeller is $23 more. http://www.pumpagents.com/JabscoPumps/18220.html
I'm not sure the $$ difference just buying the impeller. We use them in our pumps.
Old     (skibum69)      Join Date: Aug 2004       03-15-2005, 6:15 PM Reply   
cdm,
so is there only one big check valve before the manafold and little ones on all the vents. When the tanks/bags drain do they just drain into what every drain they want to then? For example if I was draining the right rear bag, it could drain out both rear drains? In the X-2 I thought for example I drain the right rear tank it drains out the right rear drain, but maybe I'm wrong.
Old     (packrat)      Join Date: Mar 2005       03-15-2005, 6:57 PM Reply   
I had the 2004 X-10 factory ballast system (with the new pumps) added to my 2000 Maristar. When only filling the left tank and it gets full, is it correct that overflow water will come out the overflow hole only on the left side?
Old     (joe_788)      Join Date: Aug 2003       03-15-2005, 7:21 PM Reply   
I have a buddy with an 03 X10, and the ballast system is different than my 04 X2.

On the 04 X2, when you are emptying a single tank, it sprays out of all 3 of the thru hull fittings. This is a real pain in the ass because you don't know when one has run dry.

On the 03 X10, the right rear tank empties to the right rear thru-hull, the left rear tank empties to the left thur-hull, etc, etc. When that side stops spraying, it's time to turn it off.

On the ballast pump issue, I'd go with the Simer reversible. It looks exactly the same as the Jabsco, and seems to work just as good if not better. I had to replace the impellers in both of my rear Jabsco pumps at about 150hrs (I had 350lb sacs plumbed in with the stock tanks), and they are completely shot again now at 300hrs. Mastercraft RAPES you for the impellers, about $25 each.

Home Depot can order the Simer pumps for $74 each, and replacement impellers are $5 each. I'm in the process of replacing both of the rear Jabsco pumps with Simers, and I've also got another Simer mounted under the bow cushions that I use to fill a 600 pound sac.

Old     (cdm)      Join Date: Aug 2003       03-15-2005, 7:40 PM Reply   
Yes it comes out both sides. when ballast water is pumped out of the tanks/sacs it collects in the manifold. It has two exits, left and right. When emptying one tank, it comes out slowly because its split between both sides. two pumps,is a more solid flow, 3 its flowing. When all 5 pumps are dumping ballast its the coolest thing. Water is BLASTING out the sides! It brings a huge smile to my face everytime.

jason - yes. water enters at the thru hull and then first passes a large brass on/off valve. it continues on to one large check valve, its 2 inch or so, its big and then on to the manifold.

fun stuff huh..
Old     (cdm)      Join Date: Aug 2003       03-15-2005, 7:42 PM Reply   
Yes it comes out both sides. when ballast water is pumped out of the tanks/sacs it collects in the manifold. It has two exits, left and right. When emptying one tank, it comes out slowly because its split between both sides. two pumps,is a more solid flow, 3 its flowing. When all 5 pumps are dumping ballast its the coolest thing. Water is BLASTING out the sides! It brings a huge smile to my face everytime.

jason - yes. water enters at the thru hull and then first passes a large brass on/off valve. it continues on to one large check valve, its 2 inch or so, its big and then on to the manifold.

fun stuff huh..
Old     (skibum69)      Join Date: Aug 2004       03-16-2005, 5:01 AM Reply   
Joe, I don't know if you have a farm & fleet there, but you can get the simer pumps you are talking about for $55.
Old     (phat_in_cincy)      Join Date: May 2003       03-16-2005, 10:30 AM Reply   
cdm has it nailed down.

I separated my rear system from my center/front system. My water empties out 4 side ports...fireboat style!
People at the docks look at me as if I'm taking on water something fierce and my boat is doing everything it can to pump the water out. Good times.

(Message edited by Phat in CIncy on March 16, 2005)