Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Wakeboarding Discussion Archives > Archive through July 08, 2007

Old     (devildog_ra)      Join Date: Jun 2007       06-26-2007, 7:45 PM Reply   
with the recent unfortunate accident with coby i was reminded of a discussion that i was having with some friends of mine over whether a helmet would prevent injury or cause more injury. We all agreed that a helmet prevents head injuries on sliders but what we couldn't agree on was whether it would make the injury worse when you just slammed your head on the water. Some made the argument that the helmet increased the surface area of your head therefore causing a more abrupt stop slamming your brain against your skull. I believe that the helmets are tested and designed for such impact and therefore are safer than landing without one but any way id love to here what the community has to say about the topic
Old     (airagain)      Join Date: Jun 2006       06-26-2007, 7:59 PM Reply   
Speaking from experience as someone who has caught plenty of heel side edges, both with and without helmet. My head feels much better with helmet.
Old     (hutch)      Join Date: Jun 2007       06-26-2007, 9:54 PM Reply   
Last summer I caught a heel side edge while wearing a helmet. My body was like a whip and smack! I went to sleep. When I woke up I was upside down under water. It was like a bad dream. My friends said they could hear my head hit the water with the stereo crankin and doing 23 mph. They asked me the date that day and I was about a year and a month off so I went to the doc and he said I had a nasty concussion. That was my first weekend on the water with a helmet and I 've also wondered if that would've happend if I wasnt wearing a helmet. I definetly think that the extra surface area comes into play. I still wear a helmet, but have not gone near as big since and have done more surfing. Hopefully coby pulls through!!
Old     (rnopr8)      Join Date: Apr 2005       06-26-2007, 10:23 PM Reply   
Here is an educational link to check out: http://www.fi.edu/brain/head.htm

You will hear several different opinions from people in the "wakeboard community". Sadly, the majority don't wear them because it is like smoking and cancer, "it won't happen to me" and because they aren't cool. Well, personally, I don't think it is cool engaging in a sport like this and not protecting yourself. Plus I have nursing biases.....I have seen what happens close up and personal and I don't want my 11 year old raised without a mother. So I do the best I can to protect my head. Everyone has to do what they feel is best for them.

This is what was printed in a recent Neuro-science article:

"Helmets provide an extra layer of material between our heads and whatever we might crash into. But helmets aren't made of just any material or in any shape that happens to look nice. A pillow tied around your head would provide some protection against small bumps, but it would be nearly useless in the event of a high-speed bike crash. Helmets are designed to provide a much higher level of protection in the event of such violent crashes.

When you bump against anything, your body undergoes a sudden change in speed, from high speed on impact to a complete halt. In lay terms, we say that your body decelerated, or stopped, but scientists use the term acceleration to refer to any change in speed. Helmets protect by extending the period of time it takes for your head to accelerate. This acceleration may take only 1/100 of a second in an impact without a helmet. A helmet, however, extends this time to 7/100 or 8/100 of a second. By lengthening the period of acceleration, the helmet reduces the force applied to your head at any given moment. A rigid and well-fitting helmet also distributes the force around the helmet structure so that less of the total force focuses on the point of impact. Lastly, the slick surface of a helmet slides more easily across a hard surface than a bare head does, further lengthening the period of acceleration. These features may not sound like much, but they can make the difference between life and death or brain injury."
Just my .02 while I still have it
Old     (aracinelli)      Join Date: Oct 2004       06-26-2007, 10:49 PM Reply   
Very nicely said Geri. You know where I stand with the helmut issue. It seems like this topic always comes up usually when sombody gets hurt. I have still yet to here of a legit injury because someone was wakeboarding with one. I am 45, healthy and plan on staying that way. I won't ride without a helmet. I've even been ridiculed for wearing my helmet in competitions. But I've never been one to care what anybody thinks about the subject. I'll be wearing mine as long as I am riding.
Old     (rnopr8)      Join Date: Apr 2005       06-26-2007, 10:59 PM Reply   
Hey Anthony....we have both stood in the same place for several years. Can't believe you have been ridiculed...it's your business and choice. I think everyone expects it from me now!! And perhaps the new helmets with the audio system will bring more riders wearing them.

Congratulation on A.J. stomping it. He is a killer rider and a really nice young man.
Old     (aracinelli)      Join Date: Oct 2004       06-26-2007, 11:04 PM Reply   
Thanks Geri, and people all around local comps and national comps are quick to judge. I was once told by a judge that I would score better without the helmet. I truly believe without a helmet at my age my brain would be comepletely scrambled by now.
Old     (rnopr8)      Join Date: Apr 2005       06-26-2007, 11:11 PM Reply   
Wow...unbelievable!! check out the link on my earlier response. It talks about an increased risk of dementia and Alzheimer's, and Parkinson's with head injuries, even minor ones.

You should tell that judge to put a slider in the water, then you would look like everyone else!! Better yet, don't go back to that comp
Old     (bflat53212)      Join Date: Mar 2003       06-27-2007, 3:57 AM Reply   
SoCal, all of this information is valid, however, by increasing the surface area, you are increasing the chance of needing the helmet. Therefore one could argue the benefits of the helmet are outweighed by the number of times the helmet increases your chance of taking a nasty head slap.
Old     (sloshake)      Join Date: Mar 2003       06-27-2007, 6:43 AM Reply   
The legit injuries that occur when wearing a helmut is from the bucketing effect. If the helmet is loose enough it may slip when you hit the water, it fills up with water and will drag you back causing serious injury.

So when you do get a helmet, make sure it is the proper fit.

Steve, the amount by which a helmet increases your surface area is miniscule compared to the amount it slows down your decelleration. The helmet may increase the surface area by 30% (purely estimating in my head) whereas it slows down your acceleration by 700% (the 1/100 of a second to 7/100 of a second).

Are you saying you'd rather get hit with a brick, or a brick wrapped in a king size pillow? :-)
Old     (geogilbert)      Join Date: May 2007       06-27-2007, 6:53 AM Reply   
I equate this discussion to the one of seat belts. 95% of the time in a crash you would rather have on a seat belt, it will be the thing that saves your life. But 5% (or maybe 1% probably less) of the time a seat belt will hold you in place where you would have otherwise been thrown clear and be the cause of your death.

The problem is here you cannot predict what kind of accident you are going to have. So me I think I am going to go with the odds. I just went through the basement and found my old Proteck kayak helmet I think that will do till I can find a better solution.
Old     (socalwakepunk)      Join Date: Dec 2002       06-27-2007, 6:58 AM Reply   
Helmet = Good for reducing chances of head injuries, Not so much when it comes to neck injuries.

Have had more whiplash type injuries than headache injuries while riding. I will wear a helmet when hard obsticles involved (rails), when just me, board, & water, no helmet for me thanks.
Old     (eustace)      Join Date: Nov 2002       06-27-2007, 7:06 AM Reply   
Here is what I can add from experience; Last weekend (while wearing a helmet) I caught my HS edge landing a TS wake jump. The digger resulted in me getting ejected from the board, and being slightly disoriented for a couple seconds. But I got my board back on and finished the set.

Rewind 2 years to a nearly identical fall (without a helmet); results in me spending the rest day on the boat with a scrambled brain.
Old     (will5150)      Join Date: Oct 2002       06-27-2007, 7:17 AM Reply   
The extra surface area issue is total BS. Having spent years in the MRI/radiology business I can tell you the number of hematomas ( blood on the brain) you see from no helmet stunts on the water is scary. If you want to increase your chance of a stroke by 1000% keep smacking your head on the water and you'll get yor wish. It just won't present for a few years- then all of the sudden you're numb in the fingers or can't remember things or worse yet dead. sorry this sounds harsh, but I've seen this first hand.
Old     (lizrd)      Join Date: Jul 2002       06-27-2007, 7:59 AM Reply   
To my knowledge, wake helmets are not tested or rated by any helmet rating industry (ASTM/SEI etc) which makes me wonder if they indeed offer true protection. Helmets are designed for specific uses and geared towards specific falls. For example falling off a horse results in different impact conditions than falling off a bike - which is why the two helmets look completely different.

Can anyone confirm that wake helmets are tested? Or are they simply skateboard helmets under a different name (and are those even tested?)? I think hitting the water from a W2W would be different than crashing off a skateboard.
Old     (tjm01)      Join Date: Nov 2006       06-27-2007, 8:14 AM Reply   
What is the proper fit of a helmet? I just started wearing one and it feels a little tight. I'm wondering if it will break in so that it's a little more comfortable. I'm concerned that if I move up to the next size it will be too big.
Old     (bremsen)      Join Date: Aug 2005       06-27-2007, 8:19 AM Reply   
Lzrd, I think most wake helmets are tested to whitewater standards. Off the Pro-tec site:
"Certified to CE EN 1385 Water Sport Safety Standard".
Old     (aracinelli)      Join Date: Oct 2004       06-27-2007, 8:25 AM Reply   
For all you riders that think they know everything about a helmet I ask You: Have you ever really given a helmet a chance. Most Nay sayers heard from some oldtimer and then from some other oldtimer who told another that the extra surface blah blah blah. Get over yourself. I think beyond a shadow of a doubt that a properly fitted helmet is the best way to go if you care enough about your head. If you continue to go without I can almost guarantee you that reality will someday hit you in the head and then it might be to late to change your mind.
Old     (big_ed_x2)      Join Date: Jul 2004       06-27-2007, 10:38 AM Reply   
I was just thinking about this the other day since I smacked my hand on the water pretty hard(almost turned blue).If I had gloves on,it would not nearly be as bad since there is something in between.I was thinking the helmet is the same thing no?
Old     (pogi)      Join Date: May 2006       06-27-2007, 10:59 AM Reply   
I may be way out on a limb here but why not build helmets with a little spike like thingy or oblong shape coming out of the back. I think most head injuries on a wakeboard come from smacking the back of your head. It probably shouldn't stick out to far but just a little bit to help less surface area hit the water. I don't know if this makes any since. Its similar to the idea that your body stops a lot slower when you enter the water doing a dive than a belly flop. Your head would slow down a lot slower if it was pointed on the back and you hit the back of your head. Obviously if you hit the side of your head an oblong shape out the back may make your head slow down faster buy maybe they could put oblong shapes on the sides as well. I don't know, just an idea water helmet companies could research.
Old     (bflat53212)      Join Date: Mar 2003       06-27-2007, 11:01 AM Reply   
"Get over yourself"

Ditto Anthony. I'm not really sure how debating this topic has anything personally to do with how I feel about myself. Actually, I have a wake helmet and have worn it many times before. I really was debating the issue because I have taken the same fall with same results with and without a helmet on a toeside backroll.

As far as the helmets being Whitewater standard, again those are meant for blunt force trama caused by a submerged object, not the impact of a head hitting the water. Not really sure I agree with the wake helmets actually helping in the decelleration of the head. Have you seen the inside of a wakeboard helmet? There is little to no padding. Doesn't the padding help in the decelleration? Are these just made incorrectly?

I am debating this because I am someone who desperately needs a well made, wake specific helmet. The products that are being sold right now, in my opinion just don't cut it.
Old     (pureblue)      Join Date: Jun 2002       06-27-2007, 11:17 AM Reply   
Ya the padding is what lengthens your acceleration when you hit the water. It is like the guard rails or water barrels on highways. When the car hits it, they give which lengthens your acceleration and hence you do not experience such and abrupt stop. For wakeboarding purposes (talking wake tricks not rails) a helmet with no padding is not going to be very useful. I agree with steve that whitewater stander is probaly designed more for blunt trama. I have never done whitewater rafting, but I am guessing they do not normally experience the situations that us wakeboarders are looking to remedy.
Old     (aracinelli)      Join Date: Oct 2004       06-27-2007, 11:23 AM Reply   
Steve, alot of helmuts made are for stylish looks but are'nt necessarily effective on the water. I have tried so many helmets just to find what worked best for me. But what I actually felt most comfortable in years ago was the old protech skateboard helmut. The padding was so soft. Then they went to a much harder padding, added earflaps and called it a wakeboarding helmet. I personally think helmet technology has a long way to go. I wish they can create a helmet that protects and does'nt have a chance of bucketing. Problem is, is that it probably would'nt be very attractive. So who would buy it besides me.
Old     (innov8)      Join Date: May 2005       06-27-2007, 11:40 AM Reply   
Here you go Steve, best helmets out IMO for wake, with a great adjustable fit and when it comes down to it, the fit is the most important part of a helmet:
http://www.shredready.com/products/shaggy.html
Old     (cheeseman)      Join Date: Oct 2005       06-27-2007, 11:51 AM Reply   
To wear a helmet or not: I have 3 boys 15, 12 & 11 years old that ride competitively at WWA and INT. I have always made them wear a helmet from day one. They have taken some real hard falls over the years and as a parent I have real concerns for their well-being. They are the only kids most of the time when not required to wear a helmet in a contest that will wear one. The brain is too valuable of an item to take a chance that the "bucketing effect" may or may not cause more harm. I know one thing for 100% sure a helmet will keep stitches off of your head if the board or something else should hit it. I guess looking cool is better than being safe!
Jeri, I appreciate your comments.
Old     (jason_ssr)      Join Date: Apr 2001       06-27-2007, 12:05 PM Reply   
Wakeboarding is dangerous. You are trading one set of risks in for another. This has been debated in watersports long before wakeboarding. We can really only be certain about potential. Colbys injury could have happened just as well with a helmet on. A helmet can potentially bucket you and break your neck.

When a fellow rider get injured the knee jerk reaction is to discus one side of the safety debate. Can a helmet help with a head trauma? Sure. You might walk away from a fall that you wouldnt have had you not been wearing a helmet. But think for a second all those times you slid out gradually onto your face, with no harm done, climbed back into the boat with a grin on your face. Those could have ended at the ER with a broken neck had you been wearing a helmet. The potential is there!

So, which do you do more, fall easily or fall with concussion force? I mostly skip out tricks when I fall and its harmless. So, I can wear a helmet which might protect me in a rare case, and kill me in a common case, or I can not wear one and survive the most common falls, but get killed in the odd case.

Therefore, I feel the better play is to not wear a helmet, except on sliders. They definitely protect against splitting your head open on solid objects.

(for the record, I kiteboard more than wakeboard, and the kite continues to pull you while you are underwater, so the bucketing is more significant. I also own helmets and wear them in both sports when applicable.)
Old     (aracinelli)      Join Date: Oct 2004       06-27-2007, 12:46 PM Reply   
Chuck, stick to your guns. As the kids get older pressure from their peers may make them want to take their helmets off. This is part of the problem. Us helmet wearers are way out numbered by those who don't wear them. So as parents it is soley our responsibility to keep our kids safe.
Old     (mammoth)      Join Date: Apr 2005       06-27-2007, 1:40 PM Reply   
My Pro-Tec has a significant amount of padding, with dual density. I don't expect anything like my MX helmet, the impacts are much lesser and extra padding means extra size and surface area.

Considering the mechanics of a concussion, almost any degree of padding helps. The brain is protected from the skull by a thin layer of fluid. When you have an impact hard enoug to allow the brain to pass this layer of fluid and impact the skull and bruise, you have a concussion. The padding in the helmet is a supplement to this fluid, allowing some decceleration assistance to your natural defense.

Surface area seems like a red-herring cooked up by a Dr. playing physicist. The theory is good, but I doubt that it's been thouroughly reviewed against the general idea of how a helmet work to prevent concussions.

Precenting concussions and brain damage is much different from keeping your head in one physical piece like a motorcycle or similar helmet.
Old     (bakes5)      Join Date: Aug 2006       06-27-2007, 1:47 PM Reply   
Let's keep this simple....how many of you know of injuries caused by helmets? Does anyone know of anyone who fell and the helmet slipped back and then they broke their neck? Anybody have any links to anyone who has died from a head or a neck injury while wakeboarding with a helmet on?

Just want to know if the "rationalizers" have any solid data that supports their helmets are dangerous theory.

Later

Bakes
Old     (derf1956)      Join Date: Sep 2006       06-27-2007, 2:22 PM Reply   
just my .02 worth- I started the season with a couple of nasty falls to the back of the head and sat for a while with bad headaches. I ordered a helmet and don't ride with out it now. I thought on Sun " I haven't fell since I got the helmet" and 5 min later I was going w2w when wham on my back again but this time I got up and rode again. No doubt the helmet soften things. FWIW I bought the Shred Ready Shaggy. I love the fit system,the ear flaps and the fact that it was made for banging into rocks while kayaking. Yes I got it from innovation sports,he spent the time on the phone and explained everything to me and shipped it when he said he would, you can buy cheaper ones but I always go back to my early days in motocross, Bell had a poster that said" If you have a $10 head buy a $10 helmet" I've never had a "cheap" helmet since.
Old     (deltamud)      Join Date: Sep 2006       06-27-2007, 3:41 PM Reply   
All I can say is this, last week our vacation was ruined when a friend, the most casual of riders, no moves, just crossing back and forth, face planted. I came back to her holding the back of her head. She asked if she was bleeding, luckily for her she could not see the 3' x3' pool of blood on the surface in back of her. Twenty six staples and a cat scan later, she will miss the next two weeks of work. My point is not to gross out or scare you. But for all you guys and ladies who don't want to wear a helmet it's your choice. To parents and boat owners, you know your kids want to bring their friends along and try it, imagine calling their parents and telling them that their kid is at the emergency room getting staples and a scan. Not a pleasant experience for anyone. At the very least make your "guest riders" wear a helmet. Until you have seen what a wakeboard can do to a head you have no clue. Sorry for the rant, still recovering from our experience. Wear a helmet, please.
Old     (justcoz5)      Join Date: Apr 2007       06-27-2007, 4:26 PM Reply   
Bakes that is a great question

I have no link or have ever heard of anyone who has sustained an injury because of wearing a helmet. That is for wakeboarding, let alone any other sport.
Old     (jason_ssr)      Join Date: Apr 2001       06-27-2007, 4:53 PM Reply   
Bakes, like I said above, we have no "real" data for either side. We can only guess based on potential (except in cases where solid objects strike the head). We have no evidence that any death/injury was avoided by wearing one, nor can we prove any death/injury was avoided by not wearing one. All we do know is that it is certainly possible that it can prevent an injury, and it is certainly possible that it can cause one.

Lets say that 1 out of every 10 hard spills has concussion potential. Lets say that only 1 out of every 40 spills has bucketing injury potential. How many times in a season do you crash hard? Well, in an average day riding 3 sets I figure I fall about 20 times. 3 or 4 of them are what I consider hard falls.

So, after 10 trips I would have fallen 200 times, 40 of them being hard falls.
So, even if concussions are 4 times more likely in hard falls than bucketing is on all falls, your risk is still much greater with a helmet as you would risk injury 5 times with a helmet on and two times with it off.

No these numbers are not scientifically proven. I put them out there to make the point that taking a risk on every fall isnt worth avoiding a risk on certain falls.

And yes, Ive been bucketed (kiteboarding mostly which has greater bucketing potential), and no it didnt do anything but wrench my neck bad. However, experiencing that power makes it easy to see the risk involved if your head got caught at the wrong angle.

So, IMO if you are taking serious diggers every time you fall, wear a helmet. If you only take 3 or 4 bell ringers a day, then dont.
Old     (justcoz5)      Join Date: Apr 2007       06-27-2007, 5:10 PM Reply   
"So, IMO if you are taking serious diggers every time you fall, wear a helmet. If you only take 3 or 4 bell ringers a day, then dont."

I couldn't agree with you any less. If you are ringing your bell 3 or 4 times a day there is no way that you shouldn't be wearing a helmet. The more concussions that you get, the easier it is to get them. Have you heard the stuff going on in football with post concussion syndrome? Players are committing suicide because of the effect concussions have had on their brains. The autopsy of the last few players have shown that these football players have the brain equivelint to 80 year old people, yet they are half that age.
Old     (jcv)      Join Date: Oct 2005       06-27-2007, 5:20 PM Reply   
I'll put my neck at risk LONG before I put my brain at risk. These NFL studies for players with multiple concussions are down right scary. Heck, it really only takes one bad one to mess you up for life.
Old     (jason_ssr)      Join Date: Apr 2001       06-27-2007, 5:35 PM Reply   
By "getting your bell rung" Im not talking about getting 3 concussions a day, Im talking about hard falls. We all take alot of hard falls but not all of them are doing damage.

Jeff, injuring either one can kill you. but you are right, everyone has to decide where they want to roll their dice. I dont blame you one bit for where you roll yours.

And yes, I have been following the NFL stuff, and it is freightening. But you guys have to realize that their concussion potential is greater in one series than wakeboarding is all summer. The impact that those guys can dish out is really amazing. Im suprised we dont hear more about this type of stuff. From what I hear, we soon will.
Old     (jcv)      Join Date: Oct 2005       06-27-2007, 5:42 PM Reply   
Jason, you're right both can certainly kill you, but I'd think an impact hard enough to break your neck (there's been deaths from broken backs, but I've yet to hear of a wakeboarding death from a broken neck) would do so with or without a helmet; whereas, a helmet would most likely prevent or minimize a good amount of possible concussions. Again, that's just speculation, and there's no way to really prove either.
Old     (bftskir)      Join Date: Jan 2004       06-27-2007, 6:42 PM Reply   
i see mention of whiplash injuries being pretty common...when we learn backwards barefooting we use a neck brace to reduce and eliminate the whiplash...we don't catch our heel side edge...we catch our heels at 40mph...some of my friends if they are trying to learn wear a helmet and a neckbrace...you can break your neck and you can have spinal injury just as bad as any brain injury...debilitating either way...
protect your head and your neck
Old     (rnopr8)      Join Date: Apr 2005       06-27-2007, 6:58 PM Reply   
Gerald...well said

Steve...check out the educational link in my post..it discusses that issue.
Old     (fyrdawg29)      Join Date: Mar 2006       06-27-2007, 9:14 PM Reply   
I fell pretty hard last week doing a simple W2W w/ grab. Unfortunately i did the whiplash thing... landing w/ my back to the water and snapping my head back, hitting the water. I had the tingling fingers, dizzy, and pain in my arms. I am a firefighter/medic, so i know what it means to get that type of reaction in my extremities. I will ALWAYS wear a helmet from this point forward. My .02...
Old     (ron1xone)      Join Date: May 2007       06-27-2007, 9:41 PM Reply   
If you really care enough about your head and rest of your body sit inside all day wearing a helmet, shoulder pads, and neckbrace. That will insure to head or neck injuries.
Old     (justcoz5)      Join Date: Apr 2007       06-27-2007, 10:05 PM Reply   
nice insight russell, remind me to come to you when I need a useless response.
Old     (bflat53212)      Join Date: Mar 2003       06-28-2007, 4:15 AM Reply   
"certainly possible"

Hmmm...oxymoron?

*Off topic warning*
Ok, you guys mention the neck brace, I specifically had a doctor tell me, at no time should you EVER where one of those things. He said it just transfer the damage to different vertebrae and could be much worse for you. If you look around the NFL, you don't see players wearing them anymore.
*back to the acting*
Old     (socalwakepunk)      Join Date: Dec 2002       06-28-2007, 6:16 AM Reply   
Jeff Valeer - http://www.wakeworld.com/getarticle.asp?articleid=1107
Old     (aracinelli)      Join Date: Oct 2004       06-28-2007, 6:55 AM Reply   
Mr. Tack, I hope your not using Caleb breaking his neck as fuel for your case against helmets. Caleb was not wearing a helmet and in this case nothing could have saved him. He is loved and missed by so many. Enough has been said on this thread and so many others. Wear a helmet if you want and don't if you chose not to. Either way you risk serious injury or even death.
Old     (jcv)      Join Date: Oct 2005       06-28-2007, 7:12 AM Reply   
Anthony, no, I had mentioned earlier how I hadn't heard of anyone ever breaking their necks wakeboarding, so Tackleberry was just providing me with an example. I remembered the story--being so recent and tragic--but I thought I read he broke his back. And you're right, nothing would have saved Caleb in this instance. Any impact hard enough to break your neck is going to do so with or without a helmet, unfortunately IMHO.

P.S. Tack, I didn't spell my own name incorrectly. The screen name really is how it's spelled

(Message edited by jcv on June 28, 2007)
Old     (socalwakepunk)      Join Date: Dec 2002       06-28-2007, 8:10 AM Reply   
Jeff - my bad, no disrespect.

Anthony - As Jeff stated, just providing info. I was at Caleb's services, and I miss him (and KK) sorely. You have your reasons for wearing a helmet. Others have their reasons for not.
Old     (jason_ssr)      Join Date: Apr 2001       06-28-2007, 8:50 AM Reply   
HAHA!! Jeff, dont give tack too much grief, all these years of reading your name, I have always pronounced it in my head the way Tack spells it, haha!

Nothing could have stopped that neck breaking. That is some serious force. What you dont want is having an impact that is initially a minor fall turning into a fall with serious force on your neck due to bucketing.
Old     (jcv)      Join Date: Oct 2005       06-28-2007, 9:00 AM Reply   
Tackleberry, none taken. For anyone wondering (all one of you), it's pronounced "Valor"

Jason, good point about bucketing. Like it's been said a dozen times on this thread, if you do decide to wear a helmet, make sure it fits PERFECTLY.
Old     (aracinelli)      Join Date: Oct 2004       06-28-2007, 9:35 AM Reply   
Jason, is it normal for a kite boader not to wear a jacket?. If its true that you can be dragged under water by the kite then would'nt you want to get to the surface as soon as possible. Kite boarding and wake boarding are two different sports. None the less riding without na jacket is stupid. So safety does'nt seem to be an issue for you so why would anybody want to take advice from someone with little regards for their own safety.
Old     (jason_ssr)      Join Date: Apr 2001       06-28-2007, 10:19 AM Reply   
Anthony, great question! But the truth is the exact opposite of your assumption. I dont wear a vest in the interest of safety.

It is very uncommon for kiteboarders to wear a jacket. the reason is, that the kite is connected to you by a hook on your waist. That hook also has all of your safety controls on it. A jacket can make getting to these controls impossible in the case of a sudden jerk skyward by the kite (the bottom of your jacket can go over the mechanism). It can also accidentally activate the safety mechanisms, which can hurt you if you arent expecting it (also why I stopped wearing a baggy drysuit while kiting). In kiteboarding, the wrecks arent as brutal as wakeboarding, so impacting the water isnt a concern. The only real concern is controlling the kite and impacting solid objects like rocks, cliffs, pylons, etc. A vest wont help you in these cases, but a helmet can. I try not to ride around these things, but if I decide to, I wear my helmet.

The reason bucketing is worse in kiteboarding is because the kite doesnt stop pulling when you fall. In other words, imagine wakeboarding behind a boat, but you cant let go of the handle. You stop when the boat stops. In wakeboarding, the ride is over when you let go, so you only risk bucketing for a second as you hit the water.

And for the record, I always wear a vest behind the boat, and as of last month I wear a Oneill Gooru when kiting. Its hardly a lifevest as it is more like a padded rashguard, but better than nothing. its also thin enough not to interfere with the hook, like my CGA vest did.

Also, a kite is an inflated item, like an innertube. So in the event you break something out there, you dont need a vest to keep from drowning. You just lay in the kite and paddle for home!
Old     (aracinelli)      Join Date: Oct 2004       06-28-2007, 10:32 AM Reply   
Thank you Jason, I now better understand Kiteboarding. The one thing that quickly comes to mind is that the two sports are very different. So wearing a piece of safety gear has a different value based on which sport you are participating in. I have witnessed so many head injuries behind a boat. Each time the participant was not wearing a helmet. I have yet to see any injury with a helmet. My point to you is that for you to compare the safety of a helmet in wakeboarding to kiteboarding is in my opinion is irresponsible. Somebody new may actually base their decision on what you are saying and when their kid ends up in the ER for a gash in their head or even worse you would feel terrible for even comparing the two sports.
Old     (jason_ssr)      Join Date: Apr 2001       06-28-2007, 11:00 AM Reply   
Anthony, you are correct, they do differ quite a bit. I only mentioned both because I do both and my practices with the helmet are the same for both. And I have ALWAYS said that a helmet helps when impacting solid objects that would put a gash in your head. That was never in question. We were discussing internal injury based on impact with water. All I said is that you are trading one type of injury for another.

Now, why havent we heard about more bucketing incidents? Well, read the posts above! Most people do not wear helmets! One parent mentioned that his kids are the only ones in the comp wearing them. Helmet wearers are still a very small percentage. I havent heard of a vestless death in some time. Does that mean its safe? No, it means the majority of people wear vests.

I think helmets are great, and I understand the logic behind wearing them. Heck, I own two. Just understand that there is an equally compelling aregument for not wearing them.
Old     (bftskir)      Join Date: Jan 2004       06-28-2007, 11:19 AM Reply   
maybe if Caleb had a neck brace on he would still be here. it might have made the difference...

not wearing safety gear is like not wearing a seat belt because you might get bruised by it in an accident...and justifying it by saying something like...if i have a wreak i don't wear a seatbelt because i will be thrown free of the crash...duh yeah right...
Old     (aracinelli)      Join Date: Oct 2004       06-28-2007, 11:19 AM Reply   
I appreciate the different opinions on this thread. The thread was started asking if a helme ist a benifit or a negative. I obviously am an advocate of helmets. This thread was not designed to just discuss internal injuries. The question is after weighing out the positives and negatives is it better to wear a helmet or not while WAKEBOARDING. Although wearing a helmet is not very fashionable I still think it is the safest option if you are going to wakeboard. But helmets can be a pain in the butt too. You've got to purchase' then carry them every time you ride. Fix it when it breaks or replace it. It is deffinately inconvenient at times especially when your in a hurry to go somewhere. But it is well worth the effort to have it and wear it. Our sport is extremely dangerous and many times I've asked myself why I ever got me and my kids into this sport. I worry about my son everyday. He's 17 and running around all over the country wakeboarding without a helmet. If it were my choice I'd make him wear it.
Old     (devildog_ra)      Join Date: Jun 2007       06-28-2007, 8:01 PM Reply   
thanks to everyone who posted there opinions and information i still dont know but i feel much more informed
Old     (baldboarder)      Join Date: Aug 2002       06-28-2007, 8:24 PM Reply   
I haven't had a whiplash, concussion, or cut on my head since I started wearing one.
Old     (rnopr8)      Join Date: Apr 2005       06-28-2007, 9:55 PM Reply   
Ryan...that's perfectly ok...we all make decisions for ourselves in life and there is no right or wrong decision unless it is wrong/right for you.

Everyone, these helmet threads have historically taken a downward spiral as they develop but I have been so impressed with the respectful discussion that has gone on here. Thank you...

Wearing a helmet is like wearing a seat belt....there are no guarantees.....you can have fatal injuries with or without either. If you are in a severe enough accident in either a car or wakeboard or anything, all the safety devices in the world aren't going to make a difference. I believe the important word here is "reduce" not "eliminate". Nothing will help you if it's severe enough.

Hey Tackle!!! Did you get my e-mail about McNasty! Hi to the fam!

Have fun riding and be safe everyone!!