Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Wakeboarding Discussion Archives > Archive through June 20, 2007

Old     (oopsds92)      Join Date: Apr 2006       05-29-2007, 7:12 PM Reply   
so wats the deal with slingshot... they look like good stuff, i just wouldnt want to buy a board and not like it. my local dealers dont have slingshot products.
Old    bocephus            05-29-2007, 7:38 PM Reply   
Century Marine in Mesa, AZ has them. They let us rent/demo them this week. The board is pretty cool, the bindings are a different story, three sets of laces, liners and all. I didn't get to ride the board since they didn't have any 13's in stock, but my buddy ELantz did. He spent a long time getting in and out of the bindings and then had to deal with the liners flopping around the boat (Blowing away..)

Hopefully ELantz will post up a review of his experience. He looked very good on the board though. He said the landings were the very best!

They will have to change the bindings out to get my $900...

Do a search I think David Williams did a post about slingshot also...
Old     (swoop)      Join Date: Jun 2006       05-29-2007, 8:06 PM Reply   
I took one out for a demo this weekend. It was everything they said it would be. Great pop, soft landings.

I have to admit I was really skeptical. As soon as I came up I switched back and forth a few times, popped outside the wake, came back in and it was all air after that.

I agree the bindings were a bit cumbersome but they were very comfortable. Never had an ache in my foot or anything like that. It was my first time to ride a closed toe and I have no complaints. It did take me a few seconds to get out of them after my sets.

I rode the board with the continuous rocker. I'm taking the 3 stage out this weekend.
Old    bocephus            05-29-2007, 8:15 PM Reply   
Read David William's Post, it's pretty good IMO..

Slingshot Thread
Old     (mjmurphy53711)      Join Date: Mar 2004       05-30-2007, 9:58 AM Reply   
Daves info was accurate except that he mistated on the bindings not working on other boards.....there is an adaptor plate.

But, slingshot in their own words says "dont waste your money" on using their bindings on other boards....you are losing the whole idea of their lineup.

I am officially converted to a slingshot board, for those who know me, that says a lot.
Old    K.B.C.            05-30-2007, 10:44 AM Reply   
Mike,

When am I going to get a chance to try that thing out? I'll trade you a pull for a demo.
Old     (jrad)      Join Date: Mar 2004       05-30-2007, 11:51 AM Reply   
The boards truly will shape the industry standard from a technology standpoint. They have the cutting edge products that work.
Old     (robin_holland)      Join Date: May 2006       05-30-2007, 2:41 PM Reply   
Will Slingshot wakeboards available in The Netherlands? Some guy of Slingshotkiteboarding say yes, but I don't know if he is right. Do you have information Jared?
Old     (garrett_cortese)      Join Date: Mar 2003       05-31-2007, 9:13 AM Reply   
Here's a cool video of Jeff McKee riding his Slingshot setup.

http://www.alliancewake.com/video_details_extreme.php?id=2987
Old     (jrad)      Join Date: Mar 2004       05-31-2007, 9:14 AM Reply   
The answer is yes, Holland has boards on the way. We already have strong distribution for wake in Canada, Australia, Germany, Switzerland, Austria, France Holland, Belgium, New Zealand, Japan, and the UK. Because Slinghsot has a wide distribution base through kite, the channels of distribution through wake are already established.
Old     (lfxstar)      Join Date: Jul 2001       05-31-2007, 9:59 AM Reply   
That video looked really good, it seemed like he was definately getting very good pop on that board. However it seemed that if he didn't land wake to wake perfectly there was always a little bounce on the landing which for him probably is unnoticable and not a big deal, but for the average rider, it seems like it could cause problems on taking some stuff out into the flats. That was just my observation, I would love to try one out. Do you know if Performance is going to get any so i can demo one?
Old     (iukekini)      Join Date: Apr 2007       05-31-2007, 10:29 AM Reply   
The Slingshot Driver boots definitely have more laces than any other boot out there, which makes them more difficult to get in and out of, but the cool thing is that you can completely customize the entire boot.

This is how I am riding mine right now: I cut out the internal harness, just took a razorblade to it and got rid of it. I also cut off the Velcro strap on the liner. I love the heel lift in the boots and wanted more so under the liners I put a small gel heel lift, it gives me more cushion and gets me up higher on the balls of my feet. I also like a really tight boot and I’m a size 11 and I have a size 9 outer boot with a size 10 liner.

I also know guys who have taken out the harness and replaced the dual stage lacing on the boot with a single lace so there is only once lace set holding them in.

If you like the locked in feel and don’t mind taking the extra time to have it then that’s great, ride em stock. If you are a minimalist like me, simplify them.

I know this kind of stuff is a little outside of the box for most people but Slingshot wants to give you the ability to completely customize your ride. Which is why our boards also have removable fins and tunable sidewalls.
Old     (masonwakerider)      Join Date: May 2003       05-31-2007, 10:49 AM Reply   
Are there any videos of Collin wright riding one yet?
Old     (robin_holland)      Join Date: May 2006       05-31-2007, 11:57 AM Reply   
Jared thanks, your story is official confirmed by Slingshot Holland
Old     (electricsnow)      Join Date: May 2002       05-31-2007, 12:00 PM Reply   
isn't collin riding one in the new alliance video?
Old     (iukekini)      Join Date: Apr 2007       05-31-2007, 12:13 PM Reply   
No the rider in the Alliance video is Jeff Mckee.
Old    bocephus            05-31-2007, 12:21 PM Reply   
You can always tell it's Collin by watching for the 180 right before he hits the wake...Try it, it's hard, and he makes it look easy...
Old     (mjmurphy53711)      Join Date: Mar 2004       05-31-2007, 2:05 PM Reply   
JM, do you know if there is any plans to use "molded" fins in future models to make it more slider friendly?
Old     (iukekini)      Join Date: Apr 2007       05-31-2007, 3:07 PM Reply   
No we won't be making any molded fins on the boards, it would mess with the flex in the board. I just ride them finless when I hit sliders.
Old     (elantz)      Join Date: Jul 2006       05-31-2007, 4:04 PM Reply   
Thanks for the poke Bo. I rented/rode a Response 145 with the Driver boots.

Board - Awesome! Edges great, pops great and super soft landings. I can usually feel slight pain in my first couple w2w jumps (knees and back), but not with this board. SOFT!

Boots - Felt great once on. I couldn't get my feet out of the boots without the liner coming out also. Once the liner is out and wet, they are difficult to snake back in the shell.

Overall - Here is the future of wakeboarding! Awesome start. Demo or rent if you can. I almost want to buy a setup, but until I/Slingshot figures out a more user friendly setup with the boots, I'll have to wait.
I felt bad for the other riders looking at butter but waiting for me to get my setup together.

I see that some people are removing the inner laces. Since I rented the board, I couldn't try that. I'm sure it'll make the setup easier to get into and out of, but heel lift will also increase. I personally don't care for heel lift.
Old     (mjmurphy53711)      Join Date: Mar 2004       05-31-2007, 4:04 PM Reply   
Good to know, but a bit dissapointing.

Sometimes I like to hit the wake and hit sliders all in the same pass...have you ever rode the wake finless?
Old     (iukekini)      Join Date: Apr 2007       06-01-2007, 8:54 AM Reply   
I have ridden w2w finless, its a very good test of your edging technique. If you hold your edge all the way through the wake, you hardly notice that you don't have fins, but if you let off you will know it. Landings are a little loose too but you can do it.

One of the most fun sets I ever had on a wakeboard was the first time I took the fins off and played in the flats, so much fun.
Old     (electricsnow)      Join Date: May 2002       06-01-2007, 9:04 AM Reply   
JM, I was actually talking about "innuendo."
Old     (iukekini)      Join Date: Apr 2007       06-01-2007, 9:16 AM Reply   
oh I thought you were talking about the new video on their website.
Old     (mjmurphy53711)      Join Date: Mar 2004       06-01-2007, 12:51 PM Reply   
JM I have been riding the CWB Absolute finless for years, but it has "small" molded fins.

I find the recoil fins to big anyways, maybe I will try it w2w finless or move to the smaller fins.
Old     (iukekini)      Join Date: Apr 2007       06-01-2007, 1:06 PM Reply   
the 1 in stock fins are pretty big but a lot of people need fins like that. Personally I can't even ride a board with fins that big. I have the .75 fins, which would work better for you on sliders too.
Old     (mjmurphy53711)      Join Date: Mar 2004       06-01-2007, 2:25 PM Reply   
Cool, just waiting for Mira to get back to me on the setup.
Old     (tantrum20)      Join Date: Nov 2001       06-02-2007, 2:11 PM Reply   
I would suggest using small CDI fins on those boards if you want to have an all around board for sliders and freeriding... I guess it would be the closest to molded fins... do they still make those?? I've always rode my CWB absolute without stock fins but wouldn't be comfortable riding a board without any fins... I understand that it would mess with the flex of the board... I would love to ride one... but I'd have to find a way to customise my Shanes to fit on those boards... I fell in love with those bindings... really... don't really like the liner boots... but haven't slid my foot into one either...