Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Wakeboarding Discussion Archives > Archive through March 27, 2008

Old     (mattkelley02gt)      Join Date: Apr 2007       02-25-2008, 5:24 PM Reply   
Ok so i have an 05 Absolute Platinum with zeus bindings and i was gonna upgrade to a newer board and bindings probally an 07. With this said i had a couple boards in mind, but which one do you guys prefer out of the group and why... Thanks for the help.

LF PS3
LF Shane
CWB Transcend
CWB Marius
Ronix Covin
Ronix One
Old     (da_kamp)      Join Date: Jan 2008       02-25-2008, 5:31 PM Reply   
either the shane or the marius
Old     (cwb_fooguitarlz)      Join Date: Nov 2006       02-25-2008, 5:35 PM Reply   
I prefer the Obrien Player...

get out there and DEMO. that's the only way you will find the answer to your question.
Old     (wakerider111)      Join Date: Jul 2006       02-25-2008, 5:35 PM Reply   
Softness and "cooshness" is the number one factor for me in boards and boots and handles etc. if you are the same i would consider adding slingshot to the list.

Limmited to the choices above, i would say
LF shane or CWB Marius

i put more money on the LF Shane because it is a 3 stage like the absolute which you are currently using.

As you know though, DEMO is key, but if you cant demo, then getting opinions and studying up on the gear is the next best thing and only thing you can do.

Tell us what you like about the absolute and what your riding style is. This will help us give suggestions, especially if you cant demo.

do you like to go big wake to wake or big into the flats? do you like a loose board? Are soft landings important to you? etc. give us the nitty-gritty bro! and we will see where we go
Old     (andy_nintzel)      Join Date: Sep 2004 Location: Minnesnowda       02-25-2008, 5:47 PM Reply   
Damnit! JEFF beat me! Ahhhhh..

Also try the Natural and the Coda, simply amazing rides, hate to see you get stuck with a lemon
Old     (mattkelley02gt)      Join Date: Apr 2007       02-25-2008, 6:01 PM Reply   
I like to go big always, but it just depends. I like to take my tricks out to the flats if i can, but then again, i like to take my spins wake to wake. Soft landings aren't really a factor but they always help. I'm pretty much just wanting to take my inverts to the next level...and also my spins, but most importantly inverts.

I've heard that the Marius has huge pop and lands decently soft, but i've heard it feels a little heavy, so should i try to go with the platinum? Also, i've read reviews on the Marius, but could you guys tell me first hand or just your opinion on why its so good, like its pros/cons.
As for the slingshot, why so? If i remember right, they're known for their huge pop, am i right? And if so, which slingshot?
I like a board with a lot of pop because i'm riding behind a DD boat that doesn't have the best of wakes so i'm not getting up as high as others with these monster wakes.

Thanks a lot

(Message edited by Mattkelley02GT on February 25, 2008)
Old     (player138)      Join Date: Jun 2007       02-25-2008, 11:24 PM Reply   
A board with lots of pop you say? I'm gonna go ahead and be the third person to recommend a Player.
Old     (andy_nintzel)      Join Date: Sep 2004 Location: Minnesnowda       02-26-2008, 5:52 AM Reply   
Thats 3 votes Player, 1 vote everything else, that board simply destroys!
Old     (bird_dog0347)      Join Date: Feb 2006       02-26-2008, 6:50 AM Reply   
Lots of pop and the softest landings possible... Slingshot Recoil 142. If you go with the 08, you will be able to use whatever bindings you want, the 07 you will be limited to the slingshot bindings. Demo one if you can before you decide, but give it at least 3 sets before you make a decision. I promise you, if you edge correctly, it will pop more than any of the standard non-flex boards.

If you are not into that, I vote Shane (I have an 06 shane and love it, just hurts my knees).
Old     (jjakober)      Join Date: Apr 2002       02-26-2008, 7:06 AM Reply   
O'Brien Natural!! Pops like the Player but lands a little softer(for me)
Old     (bill)      Join Date: Feb 2001       02-26-2008, 7:16 AM Reply   
i went from abs 141 platty that ive been riding for three years now to a 138 transcend platty and i like both but am riding the trancend now as it may be a tad faster and rides a bit better in chop..
Old     (seattle)      Join Date: Mar 2002       02-26-2008, 8:02 AM Reply   
Nintzel / Jakober,

Fooos! Don't you know the redesigned Valhalla is the shiz this year. All other Obrien boards are played out my Brutha's.
Old     (innov8)      Join Date: May 2005       02-26-2008, 8:08 AM Reply   
Transcend, it does everything great, thats why I ride it!!
Old     (jarrod)      Join Date: May 2003       02-26-2008, 8:13 AM Reply   
Try the Transcend. Smoothest board I've ridden.
Old     (andy_nintzel)      Join Date: Sep 2004 Location: Minnesnowda       02-26-2008, 8:23 AM Reply   
Cliff,

This is True the new Valhalla is the shiznet fo sho! Just a bit Narrow in the tip and tail for me. But fast super fast.
Old     (wakerider111)      Join Date: Jul 2006       02-26-2008, 10:36 AM Reply   
I second Nick's thoughts on the Slingshot Recoil. Get out there and see if you like the flavor of flex. It is a s different as comparing a pure three stage to a pure continuous rocker board... more so in fact. Definately give it a few runs to get used to. When you edge properly, as nick said, the board will "load" similarly as you "load the line" and release its stored energy when you pop of the wake. It is a bit slippery, but thats what makes it so fun and a good teacher too.

Never ridden the Marius (or shane for that matter) but i have heard good things about both (and the natural too) In a way the marius is sort of a hybrid rocker because it bends more at the edges of the tips, like a horizontal rocker if you will.

good luck and hope you enjoy what you choose in the end

Flex Forever,
Jeremy
Old     (sidekicknicholas)      Join Date: Mar 2007       02-26-2008, 10:47 AM Reply   
I've been on:
LF PS3
CWB Transcend
CWB Marius
Ronix Covin
Ronix One

--I like the Ibex more than all of them, *didn't ride the shane -- but then I rode a Recoil 142 and it popped more than all of them, softer landings than all of them, releases faster, almost no swing weight, the board is seriously the most amazing thing I've ever been on
DEMO one if you can, because it isn't right for everyone but if it fits your style... it will blow your mind.

+1 Recoil (you can get 07 setups pretty cheap too)
Old     (mattkelley02gt)      Join Date: Apr 2007       02-26-2008, 12:39 PM Reply   
I;m really thinking about buying a slingshot now, but if i bought a slingshot, i should probably get the 08 since i can put any bindings in it.

Nick, besides the Ibex and Recoil, which board above that you listed did you like best and why?
Old     (stephan)      Join Date: Nov 2002       02-26-2008, 12:45 PM Reply   
Before this year I rode the Absolute for 3 years. I stuck with CWB and picked up a Faction. I really like big abrupt popping boards and the Marius and Transcend didn't do it for me. I liked the way the Faction released off the wake and how it felt on the water. I was used to a Platinum Absolute and have had very little trouble getting into the regular Faction. The board just rides ridiculously good. Smooth and poppy, might be another one worth checking out.
Old     (sidekicknicholas)      Join Date: Mar 2007       02-26-2008, 12:57 PM Reply   
Top three from you choices -
1. Marius
2. One
3. PS3

the others i just didn't like at all, to sluggish, and just didn't wow me

Old 3 stage boards pop would be like someone running into you from below full speed and knocking up in the air -- slingshot's pop is like someone hold a spring down and then releasing so you just get launched like crazy, but its really smooth...

try one, you will not regret it
Old     (mattkelley02gt)      Join Date: Apr 2007       02-26-2008, 5:51 PM Reply   
OK well if i get an 07 recoil, are the slingshot bindings the only ones that will work? I'm just scared to buy the board if i have to buy their bindings to because i've heard nothing but bad things about the 07 slingshot bindings and how uncomfortable they are. Can anyone elaborate on this because i'm really thinking hard about buying a recoil now. Also, is the 08 recoil a lot better than the 07?
Old     (sidekicknicholas)      Join Date: Mar 2007       02-26-2008, 6:09 PM Reply   
The boards 07 --> 08 are the same except the bindings holes

The 07' boots aren't that bad, just little things that bother me:
*Strings are way to long for the laces (fixed in 08's) -- I'm prob just going to cut mine down and knot them
*Footbed is a little lacking -- Thank god the board lands really soft, the only really padding is in the liner, which isn't a lot but you don't really notice when riding
* You better love to be 100% locked it..because you will not come out of the boots upon falling
*Most stiff supportive boots I've been in, so you'll either love or hate them (i hated it at first but they broke in)

The boots really aren't that bad though -- at first i didn't really like them but now I like them quite a bit -- if anything there is too much support so I may just take out a set of laces, they're just overkill

Positive side:
*Super light boot
*Adjust stance on the fly
*Locked in, great response to the board
*Ankle support is amazing
*Water Drains Fast
*Easy entry and exit when laces are loose
*no pressure points

The 08 boots are awesome and just clean up the 07 flaws
Old     (wakerider111)      Join Date: Jul 2006       02-26-2008, 7:50 PM Reply   
nick summed it up pretty good on the '07 and '08 differences for slingshot. The multi stages of laces do allow for some fine tooning, but if a "softer boot" is your choice and you go with the 07 board than the PB floids might be to your liking

http://www.wakeworld.com/MB/Discus/messages/1/548624.html?1203649923
Check this thread out and the posts i made as well as the youtube video link to a slingshot booth at a boat show
Old     (2007_x2)      Join Date: May 2007       02-26-2008, 8:10 PM Reply   
CWB TRANSCEND
Old     (bird_dog0347)      Join Date: Feb 2006       02-26-2008, 8:42 PM Reply   
I have the 07 driver boots... They are great after they got broken in and "modified" a bit. I removed the inner laces, and cut the 2 outer laces down some. The other Nick was correct though, you will be locked in, and the footbed is not the best. But seriously, with the liner and the softness of the board, it will not bother you at all unless you take 45-60 minute sets in which case your feet might get tired.