Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles

Old     (sidekicknicholas)      Join Date: Mar 2007       03-31-2011, 6:18 PM Reply   
Okay, so last week I dented a rim and it was going to (...or so I thought) be a better value to get 4 new rims and tires..... after the shop that I ordered through canceled two appts. because they dropped the ball I said screw it, bought the stuff and went to the next place with them.... well I think they may have screwed up more than just the rim install.

1. about 10 minutes after I left I get a pop up on my nav screen that says "CONTACT DEALER - MAINTENANCE REQUIRED" ..... I have never ever seen this before.... possible cause may be #2

2. They tell me they cannot remove 3 of my 4 tpms from the old rims (1 is already off from the first shop - which took them 5 min) They said they were too corroded and just would unbolt. Then sold me 3 new ones.... I agreed because I was just pissed and neeeeeeded my car by tomorrow.... after all is said and done they say they can't even calibrate the sensors so I would have been just as good not buying the new sensors.

3. I got home ~35 mile drive and wanted to wash the car off .... water hit the calipers and steam just rolled off them - I've never noticed this before (could just be me not noticing) or did they F-this up and now they're getting crazy hot because they screwed up something there..... they were too hot to keep my hand on for than an instant.... is that normal?!

Any help would be great, Thanks!
Old     (brainrinse)      Join Date: Aug 2007       03-31-2011, 6:32 PM Reply   
Not sure on the "see dealer for maintenance" alert. TPMS sensors are hard to reuse because they are so fragile, so that part seems legit. And brake components get crazy hot very fast, so that doesn't seem strange either.
Old     (sidekicknicholas)      Join Date: Mar 2007       03-31-2011, 6:34 PM Reply   
I got all new - what I was told "OEM" ones today
Old     (trdon)      Join Date: Sep 2007       03-31-2011, 6:41 PM Reply   
The tpms is not really something that should be an issue unless they are really old, so use your judgement there. The steam from the rotors, uh, yeah, they get hot and dousing them with water will cause steam. Not an uncommon thing. Nothing they did wrong there. Nothing sounds terribly out of the ordinary here.
Old     (sidekicknicholas)      Join Date: Mar 2007       03-31-2011, 6:46 PM Reply   
I've just never noticed the steam before - on any car I've got... I knew they warmed up, but it was chilly tonight which I'm sure didn't help.

The last little issue I had is/was this:
Old rims had spacers (could have been to correct for proper offset)
New rims did not come with any (ordered specific to the car - most likely the reason) - shop said they put 3 spacer from three old rims on with the new rims and left one without - any reason for that? .... am I better off to get 1 new spacer or just take them all off?

Thanks for the help guys
Old     (sidekicknicholas)      Join Date: Mar 2007       03-31-2011, 6:47 PM Reply   
For what its worth, here are the new shoes
Old     (bill_airjunky)      Join Date: Apr 2002       04-01-2011, 7:40 AM Reply   
All this because you curbed a rim??

Maybe get rims narrower than the tires next time. Looks vs practicality? I don't get it.
Old     (bruizza)      Join Date: May 2009       04-01-2011, 7:45 AM Reply   
He didn't curb a rim. He hit some debris in the middle of the road that bent one of his old rims to the point it couldn't be fixed.

Nothing seems really out of the ordinary other than the dealer warning popping up on your dash.

The new rims look sweet Nick!
Old     (sidekicknicholas)      Join Date: Mar 2007       04-01-2011, 7:52 AM Reply   
Quote:
e didn't curb a rim. He hit some debris in the middle of the road
That is correct - and the rims/low pro tires weren't my original doing - they came on the car when I bought it.....

I was driving on the interstate and there was a truck in front of me - car to the left - snow/guardrail to the right..... the truck was large enough to straddle the junk (I think it was like a file cabinet drawer - I couldn't swerve at all due to the surroundings and had no choice but to hold on like hell and just smack it - cleared the bumper but must have just caught the inside of the right rear tire and that was enough to do the damage - I'm fairly convinced it hit the muffle which knocked it sideways into the rim - tire didn't show an impact mark, but the very inside of the rim was obviously hit.... just bad luck
Old     (epic1)      Join Date: Oct 2006       04-01-2011, 8:15 AM Reply   
I had the same situtation in my Contour SVT. Following a semi, cars in both lanes next to me. Truck two in front of me threw a tire. It went OVER the semi in front of me, and landed square in front of my drivers tire. No room to swerve. That was the most terrifying thing I ever went thro0ugh in the car. I hope it stays that way
Old     (bill_airjunky)      Join Date: Apr 2002       04-01-2011, 10:03 AM Reply   
OUCH. That'll leave a mark.
Old     (sidekicknicholas)      Join Date: Mar 2007       04-01-2011, 10:19 AM Reply   
Solved the maintenance warning issue , hahaha....

I made the mistake of showing my brother the section on the nav screen labeled "Maintenance" - where you can set reminders for all your services adn add in your own personal checks.... my maintenance check that was due was, "Bet this scared you dip-****" ..... little bastard got me
Old     (bruizza)      Join Date: May 2009       04-01-2011, 11:34 AM Reply   
That is pretty damn funny.