Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Trick Tips

Old     (janzy)      Join Date: Aug 2004       09-07-2005, 7:53 PM Reply   
Hey guys. I tried my first raleys last week but I always end up doing a big flip. I read many threads and watched the waketrix video many times but I can't figure out what I'm doing wrong. I'd really like to land this before the season end... Any help is appreciated!

Here is a link to the video
http://www.wakepics.com/view_single.php?medid=16966
Old     (tings00)      Join Date: Aug 2005       09-08-2005, 7:15 AM Reply   
yeah bro i do the exact same thing, it always turns into this out of control front flip thing, i couldnt get your video to work, hopefully someone can help us on this.
Old     (janzy)      Join Date: Aug 2004       09-08-2005, 8:37 AM Reply   
Hey Blake, good to see I'm not the only one with this problem... Maybe I should have mentionned that in my first post but you need the Divx codec to view the video.
Old     (tparider)      Join Date: Aug 2003       09-08-2005, 9:05 AM Reply   
I don't do raleys, but it's pretty apparent that you are letting go of the handle at the peak of your jump instead of pulling it back down to get your feet back under you.
With respect to physics, it's a probability that you will front flip if you let go. Try holding on one time and bring the thing down to land it.
Old     (tings00)      Join Date: Aug 2005       09-08-2005, 9:22 AM Reply   
do u mean letting go with one hand or letting go completely. i'm not sure if i let go with one hand, but i never completely let go. anyone that has landed one have any advice
Old     (allen)      Join Date: Apr 2005       09-08-2005, 4:05 PM Reply   
I can't see the vid but if you are doing a flip your not keeping your head up. look at the top of the tower the whole way thru the trick. It is a very simple trick once you get it.
Al
Old    wayknbayk            09-08-2005, 10:24 PM Reply   
you have your edging technique right but youre letting go of the rope once your in the air which is causing you to rotate up and over. If you think about it, if you keep ahold of the rope...theres no way you would be able to rotate with your momentum....and like above ^^^ do keeo your head up.
Old     (stunt3342)      Join Date: Jul 2005       09-08-2005, 10:48 PM Reply   
You gotta look into the boat, your star gazing and flipping over. You may wanna put more weight on your front foot too. the biggest thing you need to do is look into the boat. also try to make a harder cut and and really lean back and load the line, because your kinda hutched over and your not gettin alot of load in the line. look into the boat and pull it to your knees and you got it. good luck
Old     (janzy)      Join Date: Aug 2004       09-08-2005, 11:45 PM Reply   
Allright so I'm going for a bigger cut and trying to keep my head up... Thanks a lot for the tips guys, as soon as I hit the water again I'll let you know how it went!
Old     (bigpapaf1f)      Join Date: May 2005       09-09-2005, 1:31 PM Reply   
I can't see the video, But if you are gazing it in to a backroll like Ricky said its cuz you have to much weight on your back foot. I did the same thing when I first try this trick. Ppl say to have your weight equal, but I like to hav more in the front. Good luck
Old     (spicychalupa69)      Join Date: May 2005       09-12-2005, 3:06 PM Reply   
Hey bro, i cant see the video either for some reason. But when i first started, i used to stargaze just like you say you do. Now i can land them solidly by simply changing ONE thing....my approach. You will probably hear this many times but here it goes bro. First, cut out as far as you can, you are going to need as much time to prepare for hitting the wake. Start a slow progressive edge towards the wake and slowly start a more aggressive edge. About halfway to the wake, your cut should be so hard that your ass should almost be touching the water, maintain this position untill you hit the wake. While edging MAKE sure that you are edging with EVEN weight on both feet. I usually concentrate on actually pushing harder with my front foot than my back. Keep edging all the way UP the wake with even weight and when you hit the wake simply relax your hips. the board will fly behind you on its own and then when you start coming down you will feel a massive pull on the line and almost instinctively you will pull yourself back down. When you are in the air look at the boat or straight down the line so you wont stargaze anymore. Let me know how it goes bro, and good luck! stick with it!
Old     (janzy)      Join Date: Aug 2004       09-12-2005, 6:57 PM Reply   
Hey guys. For those of you who can't see the clip, it's probably because you don't have the divx codec installed, which you can download at www.divx.com. Also, I don't think I'm actually stargazing. If I'm not mistaken, stargazing is when you twist while in the air so you're facing up, "gazing" at the sky.

What happens to me is that I go into a forward roll and crash. The only time I'm looking at the sky is the split second before I hit the water, like you would on an underrotated front roll. Haven't had the chance to try it again yet, but from the comments I've got this far, keeping my head up and just holding on to the handle should get me a lot closer to landing this trick. If that doesn't cut it, maybe cutting in harder loading the front foot will.

Again thanks for the tips... Should hit the water thursday, we'll see how it goes!
Old     (deepstructure)      Join Date: Jun 2002       10-02-2005, 1:02 AM Reply   
jan, you're right, you're not stargazing - however you are looking down. that's death. you want (as said before), to look at the tower. in fact, try taking the exact same raley cut, but w/o doing the raley, and try to look at the tower the whole time.

as for letting go of the handle, that's just a consequence of having your head down. you can't help but let go - otherwise you'd tear your arms off. keep your head up and letting go of the handle won't be a problem. i wouldn't recommend holding on to it when you're in that position!
Old     (deepstructure)      Join Date: Jun 2002       11-03-2005, 3:35 PM Reply   
so...? what happened jan? did you land one?
Old                11-11-2005, 5:14 AM Reply   
everytime a try a raley i end up sailing to far and cant get my board back under me and doing like a half flip
Old     (john30)      Join Date: Nov 2003       11-12-2005, 9:09 PM Reply   
I just tried a raley today and did the exact same thing Jan. I'm gonna try again sometime this week and see if looking at the tower and hangin on to the rope make a diff. Thanks for tips every 1!
Old                12-13-2005, 8:27 AM Reply   
I would recommend improving your progressive carve. Right now you are letting up on your carve right as you are leaving the wake, so it is not throwing your feet up as quickly as it should. You can still land a raley with the carve you have, but it may be sketchy. Try holding your carve longer as you are leaving the wake. Don't start from further out, just edge all the way through the wake and keep your eyes forward like everyone is saying. Keep your elbows bent and as you reach the high point of your raley, try to break the handle over your front knee. Thinking of that will help you bring the handle down and the board back under you.
Ryan
Old     (liquid_force24)      Join Date: Apr 2006       04-13-2006, 7:49 PM Reply   
hey guys,

a thing that works is if you put a coin or car keys under one hand, so if you let go you will drop them!!!

worked for a lot of people i no!!!

l8ers
Old     (will5150)      Join Date: Oct 2002       04-16-2006, 5:50 PM Reply   
Alex- good tip!! I gotta try that with my 3s' - Can I borrow your keys? HA HA
Old    alanp            04-16-2006, 9:56 PM Reply   
need to cut about 10x harder. also weight the front foot more or you will start to star gaze. i like to "feel" about 80% of my weight on my front heel. (in acutuality its probably closer to 55% in the front heal but since i rarely weight my front foot so heavily it feels wierd). keep your eyes up.
Old     (liquid_force24)      Join Date: Apr 2006       04-17-2006, 5:47 PM Reply   
actually your supposed to keep your weight evenly distributed over both feet. as this will help later tricks such as 911, 313, s-bend & vulcan.

l8ers
Old     (ahuser22)      Join Date: Jul 2003       04-19-2006, 9:51 AM Reply   
Just cut harder and don't let go

There will be a huge jerk, then pull in.
Old                05-02-2006, 4:53 PM Reply   
You can alter how you are weighting you feet on your approach by focusing on how you are loading the line with your hands. If you need more weight on your back foot, then you are probably pulling too much with your opposite hand. This is key to tricks like raleys and fronts.
Old     (atlsackedup)      Join Date: Mar 2005       05-02-2006, 5:28 PM Reply   
Thread hijack here. Hey Nick, not sure if you remember me or not but you taught me how to wakeboard at UT about 6 years ago. I was on the ski team there for about a semester about the time when Jake Terabassi joined. You had actually just learned a whirly then (remember you landing it without the handle a few times, then later with the handle). Anyway, just dropping you a line and saying good to see you on wakeworld. If you're ever in the Atlanta area, give me a call...I've got a 2000 MC X-5 now and go riding often on Lake Lanier. Later.
Old     (pink)      Join Date: May 2006       05-09-2006, 7:33 PM Reply   
dont dislocate you elbow like i did
Old                06-15-2006, 10:59 AM Reply   
Hey jan it looks like on the video to me that you are not edging as hard as you need to be get way outside of the wake and edge in realy hard and when you get to the top of the wake try and explode off of the wake and just relax your shoulders when you feel the boat yank yank the hand to your front knee. Hope this helps you out a little bit!
Old     (wakeandsnow27)      Join Date: Jun 2004       06-16-2006, 2:41 PM Reply   
sheet, just finish the flip...lol
but seriously, keep your chin way up, then pull in on the rope and try and bring your knees to the handle...

(Message edited by wakeandsnow27 on June 16, 2006)