Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Wakeboarding Discussion Archives > Archive through August 20, 2004

Old    tkdhav            08-13-2004, 7:34 PM Reply   

Does anyone ever think Wake Boarding will be in the Olympics?

Or at least why is slalom skiing not in there, that has been around for along time?
Old    atom_ant            08-13-2004, 8:21 PM Reply   
I always thought about it too, but I heard somewhere that its because you have to use a boat and the olypics is all about just human ability without motors and stuff. My guess is because they didn't have all that back in the day when they wore NOTHING. Tradition?? Good question though, maybe someone who isn't replying to every post and knows what they're talking about will have a definite answer
Old    murrayair            08-13-2004, 8:24 PM Reply   
There have been a number of threads on this subject. Try searching for some of them.
Old    leftcoastpunk            08-13-2004, 9:02 PM Reply   
it wont, boat drivers are an outside factor. I personally dont want to see wakeboarding in the olympics, there are already enough posers on my lake as it is.
Old    atom_ant            08-13-2004, 9:17 PM Reply   
what does wakeboarding in the olympics have to do with posers on your lake?
Old     (mosdefn14)      Join Date: Feb 2004       08-13-2004, 9:34 PM Reply   
the more wallys that see the sport (especially on tv) will think its cool and want to do it and powerturn and stuff. morew will watch the olympics than triple crown, x games, gravity games etc.
Old     (dakid)      Join Date: Feb 2001       08-13-2004, 10:42 PM Reply   
no. never. hell, it's barely even in the x-games.
Old    brianthomas            08-14-2004, 12:49 AM Reply   
Never say never...hmmm wait a minute, not airing Froggy's winning run on the X games... ok ya you can say never for this. Never ever period. And I don't think the fact that something has been around for along has any affect on whether or not it becomes an olympic event, crap beer pong has been around forever and you don't see that as an event yet...well thats because the Irish would dominate...rambling...stopping.
Old    tkdhav            08-14-2004, 7:45 AM Reply   
Well if your worried about more people on the lake trying to wakeboard, this is good for all of us.

For one, is all of us were there.

Two, the more people doing this the cheaper our equipment will be for everyone due to the fact that more customers that buy the product the cheaper it is to buy and the more people that can absorb the R&D.

Three, if it grows like NASCAR did then to more purse money for the guys in competition. OK OK, I doubt it will get that big! Lol

Lets not forget about Four, it seems the wakeboarding people don’t seem to drive out on the lake, like a bunch of fools. We just have to make sure our fellow wakeboards are not drinking and driving

(Message edited by Tkdhav on August 14, 2004)
Old    tkdhav            08-14-2004, 7:47 AM Reply   
Alot of people never thought Martial Arts would be in the Olympics and now Taekwondo is there!

(that did not take long)
Old     (socalwakepunk)      Join Date: Dec 2002       08-14-2004, 4:11 PM Reply   
It would be great to see 3 event skiing in the Olympics. Seems like a perfect fit.

I think that due to the aggressive (for lack of a beter word, extreme) and subjective nature of wakeboarding, I think its perfectly suited for X/Gravity Games.

BTW - I prefer watching the X/Gravity Games over Olympics any day.
Old     (hyperlitenrd)      Join Date: Jan 2003       08-14-2004, 5:25 PM Reply   
Doesnt it also have to be activly done in at least 13( iknow thats not right) countries, before it becomes an oplimic sport?
Old     (malibuboarder75)      Join Date: Jan 2004       08-14-2004, 6:38 PM Reply   
the olympics doesnt like any sport that requires machines or motor engines. Wakeboarding requires motorized engines. But you still dont see other aggresive sports like skating, surfing, and bmx in the olympics. I think surfing would be one of the top choices for this area. Until then, the most you will see is snowboarding.
Old    gobiggrom54            08-14-2004, 6:51 PM Reply   
Waterskiing used to be in the olympics, anyone know why it's not anymore?
Old     (malibuboarder75)      Join Date: Jan 2004       08-14-2004, 7:02 PM Reply   
because tubing is more fun and tubing isnt a sport and is gay...so once again, why isnt wakeboarding in the olympics?
Old    tkdhav            08-14-2004, 7:10 PM Reply   
I see we sure have gotten far with this conversation!

Old     (malibuboarder75)      Join Date: Jan 2004       08-14-2004, 7:22 PM Reply   
Hyperlitenrd is probably right about there being a certain number of countries that have to participate in a sport. Wakeboarding is pretty big (cable riding) in Europe. Plus there is australia and japan that have a few riders.
Old    wsrmatt            08-14-2004, 9:14 PM Reply   
why dont they have fmx in the olympics? its alot bigger than wakeboarding.
Old     (malibuboarder75)      Join Date: Jan 2004       08-14-2004, 10:06 PM Reply   
once again, motorized sports arnt popular among the olympic committee for some reason. Thats why I am thinking surfing or skating would get in.
Old     (hypoxic_films)      Join Date: Dec 2003       08-14-2004, 11:44 PM Reply   
Gee, I wonder which countries would win?

Danny Turner
HYPOXIC FILMS
hypoxicfilms.com
Old     (dakid)      Join Date: Feb 2001       08-14-2004, 11:55 PM Reply   
well, considering daniel watkins and josh sanders (for example) are from australia, suki suzuki (for example) is from japan, chad sharpe is from canada, i'd say just about any one.
Old    r_dub            08-16-2004, 6:31 AM Reply   
Out of every sport mentioned in this post, I would imagine surfing would be the first one they would select. But, I dont even see that happening. Seems like the winter games kind of had a shortage of events, and thats why they added snowboarding a few years back. But the summer games seems to have plenty of events. Personally I hate the summer games but love the winter games. Track and Field events have to be the most boring thing in the world to watch. Im forced to watch the gymnastics because my wife is an ex-gymnast. And I do respect those girls cause I wish I had those skills. So I do think they need some newer events, but Im sure it will never be wakeboarding and thats just fine with me.
Old     (malibuboarder75)      Join Date: Jan 2004       08-16-2004, 6:51 AM Reply   
I was thinking...with the new generation of kids growing up, they are going to have to cater to our sports if they want to be successful. Some of the events in the Olympics are not even sports. ex. table tennis. But I do think in the distant future they will have to showcase some sports like skateboarding, surfing, and such in order to keep viewers watching. The only sport that somewhat interests me in the summer games is gymnastics because I wakeboard and wish I could do some of the tricks they do.