Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles

Old    SamIngram            08-10-2010, 7:40 PM Reply   
Anyone using the Wet Sounds 6x9's mixed with standard 6x9's?

Has anyone tried this yet? I can't afford two pairs at once and am thinking about mixing two of each. Will they cancel or screw with one another?

I don't even run in boat speakers, only tower speakers and I like the bass my current 6x9's provide. I'm not rich and spend my money on my family and don't want to blow it.

Thanks!

Last edited by SamIngram; 08-10-2010 at 7:48 PM.
Old    SamIngram            08-11-2010, 7:35 AM Reply   
Any opinions? Will the two different kinds of speakers cancel each other out, or be out of time of phase?
Old     (dhcomp1)      Join Date: Mar 2010       08-11-2010, 7:38 AM Reply   
Truthfully, mixing the 2 seems silly, unless you plan to be able to buy the matching speaker soon.

I would personally decide on your budget, and buy 4 matching speakers you can afford. No, they won't be wetsounds, but i'm guessing a properly matched setup would be better than wetsounds mixed with some cheapos.
Old    SamIngram            08-11-2010, 8:00 AM Reply   
I have a fiberglass box that holds 4 6x9's and two Alpine 4.150 amps. With the four regular 6x9's it gets really, really loud but you have to really turn up the volume in order to hear it very far. I would like 4 Wet Sounds 6x9's, but $1,200 is more than I want to pay at one time. Two of each, at least in my head, sounds like a good way to go, I would still have good volume close to the boat and now have good sound by the rider.

I actually have six Polk Momo's for the inside the boat, but haven't got around to installing them yet. I have a Signature Series and still have to cut holes in the interior vinyl to install them.

I think I actually saw another thread where someone else did the same thing and mixed two sets of 6x9's but can't find it.
Old     (kvoman)      Join Date: Aug 2006       08-11-2010, 8:06 AM Reply   
Yes, I do.

1 pair of Momos and 1 pair of PRO696RS in my tower pod. Sounds great but you do have to make some efforts to play with the gains on the amp to get the right sound. It works for me because I have the Momos set up for a closer sound stage and the PRO696RS set up for wakeboarding. All four running on it's own channel from a Kicker ZX850.4 (175 RMS Watts @ 4 ohms).

It works really well for me with this set up. If I can afford another pair later, I'll do that but for now, one pair of PRO696RS works for me.
Attached Images

Old     (wetsounds1)      Join Date: Jan 2006       08-11-2010, 8:04 AM Reply   
Sam,

I don't really like mixing pro audio and car audio on the tower. As you will not hear much from the car audio speakers. But if this is something you plan on doing in steps. I don't see a problem adding on. I would not do it if buidling a system from scratch. But since you already have the housings with car audio based and want to upgrade one set now and one set later. Go for it. Below is a pic of a customer who did just that. Has one of those boxes with 8 6x9. Swapped 4 of them with the PRO 696 RS and kept the 4 factory ones. Grilles even work well together and customer loves it. Is blown away. He only had in his budget right now to do 2 pairs. Said he was thinking about doing all of them at first but loves it as it is now.

There is another thread here with a fellow WW that added a set to his polks. http://www.wakeworld.com/forum/showt...79013&page=999

Tim
Wet Sounds
Attached Images

Old     (wetsounds1)      Join Date: Jan 2006       08-11-2010, 8:42 AM Reply   
KVo brings up a great point I forgot to say. It only works when you have each pair on their own ch's. As you will have different power needs and crossover adjustments when running car audio and pro audio. So if you have a large 4 ch like he does or dual 2 chs. But if you only have a single 2 ch, you will have to gain the pro audio down to the level of the car audio which would limit their output. So would be worth getting a small 2 ch for the car audio speakers.

Tim
Wet Sounds
Old    SamIngram            08-11-2010, 8:44 AM Reply   
I have two Alpine 4.150's, both 4 channel amps.
Old     (hatepain)      Join Date: Aug 2006       08-11-2010, 9:14 AM Reply   
Didn't grant do this with his enzo box too? In his case it would have been a little different because I think he was going to keep the down firing ones standard.