Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Wakeboarding Discussion Archives > Archive through August 20, 2005

Old     (hadsack)      Join Date: May 2005       07-31-2005, 6:04 PM Reply   
I just bought a new boat and am wondering what the secret it to picking up fallen riders without getting the bow swamped. Do you come to a complete stop then turn and slowly drive back when the rider has fallen? Any help would be appreciated.
Old    wickedwake            07-31-2005, 6:08 PM Reply   
Yeah, when the rider stops just idle down going straight, and when you slow down almost stop) keep ideling and turn. That way you dont get swamped and dont throw rollers across the lake a.k.a. "Power Turns". This way everyone else will stay happy and the water will stay smooth(er).
Old    7ftdubup            07-31-2005, 6:44 PM Reply   
when you drop off plain you should feal the boat slow down then water will push you from the back. just let that force push you around and idle back
Old     (levi)      Join Date: Feb 2001       07-31-2005, 7:15 PM Reply   
A little trick you can do if you're having trouble crossing your wake as you turn around after slowing down is to make a small left hand turn/curve as you're coming off plane and then make the right hand turn to come back to the rider. When you come around the wakes are smaller, but it's kinda of annoying to do everytime........
Old     (shutupandboard)      Join Date: Aug 2002       07-31-2005, 7:47 PM Reply   
I do it exactly like Levi said every time. It's not annoying at all. What's annoying is trying to Idle over your own rollers if you don' just automatic now.
Old    dahui            07-31-2005, 7:53 PM Reply   
Those power turns are really rough on a boat and you should avoid them. Just go slower before you turn.
Old     (shutupandboard)      Join Date: Aug 2002       07-31-2005, 8:10 PM Reply   
I don't know why that got edited out. What i said above is. ..It's annoying if you don't do the preturn. It's just automatic for me to do the preturn now.
Old    walt            07-31-2005, 8:11 PM Reply   
I do the same thing as Clay...Just back off the gas and let the rollers go by before you turn.
Old    newtique            08-01-2005, 8:10 AM Reply   
Here you go....pay particular attention to PJ's post!http://www.planetnautique.com/index.php?name=PNphpBB2&file=viewtopic&t=3634
Old     (fox)      Join Date: Jul 2002       08-01-2005, 8:18 AM Reply   
Slow down in a straight line. Throw the boat in reverse once it has slowed enough and that will either turn you right or left (but backwards) and then you can finishe the turn in forwards...travel back to your rider between the rollers.

Eric
Old    justsomeguy            08-01-2005, 8:56 AM Reply   
...and remember, your wake is visable from space so even if you think you can get away with it, someone may be watching.

Old     (matt_ostmeyer)      Join Date: Mar 2003       08-01-2005, 4:40 PM Reply   
Another neat inboard trick... If you screw up and are headed nose first into rollers, put it in reverse as you approach the rollers - just watch out for the rope. After a couple trys, you get the feel for how hard you need to do it - basically, you just get it moving enough in reverse to sort of run with the rollers - it'll look like you're gonna baptise the boat, but the rollers will glide right by, no problems.