Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles

Old     (duffymahoney)      Join Date: Sep 2008       09-29-2010, 11:28 AM Reply   
Pretty cool, take a look

http://pavatimarine.com/wakeboard_an...ard_boats.html
Old     (hatepain)      Join Date: Aug 2006       09-29-2010, 11:31 AM Reply   
That does look really cool as far as appearance goes and the engine options are excellent.
Old     (polarbill)      Join Date: Jun 2003       09-29-2010, 11:33 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by duffymahoney View Post
Pretty cool project but I am not sure why anybody would want a lighter wakeboard boat.
Old     (beretta5spd)      Join Date: Jan 2010       09-29-2010, 11:45 AM Reply   
anyone behind that beauty needs to ride the ibex with reflecto bindings!
Old     (jps912)      Join Date: Jun 2007       09-29-2010, 11:39 AM Reply   
That does look pretty sick. All aluminum would be sweet.
Old    ajmac            09-29-2010, 11:43 AM Reply   
I agree with Brett. Does 2/3 lighter mean you need to add 2/3 more ballast?
Old     (grant_west)      Join Date: Jun 2005       09-29-2010, 11:43 AM Reply   
Quote:
Pretty cool project but I am not sure why anybody would want a lighter wakeboard boat.
I think a lighter wake boat would be awesome. IMO you can always add weight with water with the flick of the switch, But when you have a boat that's stock weight is very high you cant shed weight at the flick of the switch. I guess what Im saying is it would be cool to NOT have to haul around all the extra weight when you are not wakeboarding.

NOW if they could some how work in On the fly or move Balast that would pick up ballast as the boat is moving and dump it like Pure Vert that way you wouldnt waste gas and horsepower pulling weight when you dont need it
Old     (bendow)      Join Date: Sep 2005       09-29-2010, 11:45 AM Reply   
Guess that tower isn't collapsable
Old     (epic1)      Join Date: Oct 2006       09-29-2010, 12:01 PM Reply   
is that not going to get hot as shiznit at the lake?
Old     (beleza)      Join Date: Mar 2010       09-29-2010, 12:04 PM Reply   
Yeah it will be hot and if you paint that thing it will look like CRAP after one season. Unless it's not meant to be painted? Maybe a wrap would work
Old     (duffymahoney)      Join Date: Sep 2008       09-29-2010, 12:06 PM Reply   
I would leave it shiny aluminum. Half or more of the boats in my area are aluminum and their paint jobs hold up amazing. They must use something special. I think water weight could counter the weight of aluminum. Or you could just do some lead through out the boat.
Old     (bmartin)      Join Date: Jan 2007       09-29-2010, 12:06 PM Reply   
+1 on purevert....actually purevert for all wakeboats! Would never have to worry about blisters with it and it might appeal to someone who wants to keep it at a slip without a lift and long distance trailer haulers worried about weight and depending on how it is priced, could offer advantages there too. Time will tell if this hits or not, but besides some differences in ride / noise can't see a reason why a well configured aluminum hull wouldn't work as a tow boat at some level.
Old     (22vdrive)      Join Date: Apr 2010       09-29-2010, 12:13 PM Reply   
That is one sick looking boat! Can't wait to see the finished product.
Old     (duffymahoney)      Join Date: Sep 2008       09-29-2010, 12:15 PM Reply   
Aluminum would mean more innovation in the sports. No molds to build. Every boat could be better then the last. Noise could be fixed with insulation or something like rhino line. Plus you could recycle the hull
Old     (alans)      Join Date: Aug 2005       09-29-2010, 12:23 PM Reply   
Aluminum boats are cool. Yes the paint sticks and does not flake off. It does scratch, but no more easily than gel coat. A scratch sure is easier to repair too.

My father in law builds aluminum work boats as a hobby. Here is his latest project, 26' with a 5.7 merc stern drive.
Attached Images

Old     (Jeff)      Join Date: May 2010       09-29-2010, 1:40 PM Reply   
Paint it matte olive drab and you'd be the envy of all of the "Swamp People" down here in Louisiana. Let it bang against everything and slap a new coat of paint on there every couple of seasons and it would be good as new. Might be even cooler with a WWII style bomber paint job. It could also be sprayed with a fine texture bedliner for a really durable finish.

I think it's a great concept especially if it had Pure Vert style ballast tanks. You could potentially tow it well with a mid size SUV.
Old     (psudy)      Join Date: Dec 2003       09-29-2010, 1:42 PM Reply   
One thing comes to mind. Vibration.
Old     (882001)      Join Date: Nov 2003       09-29-2010, 1:48 PM Reply   
anodize it. all store front metal is anodized, holds up fine
Old     (lsukuntryboy)      Join Date: Jul 2007       09-29-2010, 2:42 PM Reply   
the problem you are gonna have with a aluminum boat besides the obvious weight problem is the paint. Its not the making it stick or anything like that. Im a Xpress aluminum bass boat dealer and the biggest complaint about looks that we get from customers is when you weld a rib on the inside of the boat, it forms a little divit on the outside. One you weld a bunch together all along the side, it looks like some one went up and down the side of it with a hammer.

I would also hope that the tower has some kind of reinforcing under it. the welds will hold to a point but that much from a rider getting up with that kinda leverage would test it after a while.
Old     (lsukuntryboy)      Join Date: Jul 2007       09-29-2010, 2:44 PM Reply   
Vibration would not really be a problem. hard rubber mounts on the engine, once you weight it down just a little chop wouldnt beat on it like it does bass boat, may be a little loud but thats what wetsounds is for. If you can over come the weight and finish of the boat, you got a solid rig. wonder how much it would sell for.
Old     (MattieK27)      Join Date: Mar 2010       09-29-2010, 3:22 PM Reply   
I'd be interested to see how that over-the-top revese chine effects the wake characteristics.
Old     (bill_airjunky)      Join Date: Apr 2002       09-29-2010, 3:30 PM Reply   
A 20' aluminum CustomWeld weighs in at 2700 lbs. Plus the engine. So it seems like the weight could be similar, maybe a bit more, but not a lot, than a fiberglass boat of the same size.

Anodizing reacts differently with different metals, even if their all 6061 aluminum (for instance). So it might have different colored panels, especially where their welded together. Would look wild if they could get it all look the same though.

Last edited by bill_airjunky; 09-29-2010 at 3:33 PM.
Old     (skyski1)      Join Date: Jan 2008       09-29-2010, 4:19 PM Reply   
Sorta looks like a pickle fork.
Old     (sidekicknicholas)      Join Date: Mar 2007       09-29-2010, 4:27 PM Reply   
I see diesel option !

The shape looks good

my worry is - its early season and stuff is floating, you mash a log or something with that boat you're in bigger trouble than fiberglas (which is a fairly easy repair) Fixing a big dent or something on that could get tough and fast.
Old     (liquidmx)      Join Date: Jun 2005       09-29-2010, 4:55 PM Reply   
It really comes down to performance...especially for a new to the market brand. If the boat throws a mackin wake it's definitely got potential. It looks like they took the Axis nose and added it to the Nautique 230 Ass. If they can keep the nose from dipping from major amounts of weight and the wake mackin like a 230 they got a winner.
Old     (RPM_DLX)      Join Date: Jul 2010       09-30-2010, 4:07 PM Reply   
I wouldnt want to be on the business end of that pickle fork........
Old     (ilikebeaverandboats)      Join Date: Jul 2007       09-30-2010, 4:35 PM Reply   
Looks cool. repair wise it doesnt look like a good idea, how would you fix a gouge? or anything for that matter. I wonder what the inner structure is made from? Hopefully something significantly stronger than the alluminum, cause think about if you really whack a rock...you wouldnt just have hull damage, you would have internal structural damage.... There has to be a give way point, thats easier to fix.
Old     (22vdrive)      Join Date: Apr 2010       09-30-2010, 4:47 PM Reply   
I thought the stern looks like a Nautique as well and that is the coolest pickle fork I've seen yet.
Old     (jarrod)      Join Date: May 2003       09-30-2010, 4:47 PM Reply   
First thing I thought of was repairs. Like mentioned above, if you hit a log and dent that hull, good luck fixing it so that it looks new again.
Old     (jtnz)      Join Date: Sep 2007       09-30-2010, 5:20 PM Reply   
Here in NZ we have a lot of ali boats, my mate's Dad has a 7.3 meter all ali hull, he drives it up on to the ramp when launching/retrieving by himself, that thing has atleast a 5mm plate all the way down the hull, I think you'd bend the log first.

Better yet build it out of steel, and make matchsticks out of any floating debris, plus it'd weigh a ton. A guy in Brazil built one, just himself and his Dad a few years ago looked really sweet.

Last edited by jtnz; 09-30-2010 at 5:22 PM. Reason: .
Old     (meathead65)      Join Date: Sep 2006       09-30-2010, 5:43 PM Reply   
I have been selling and servicing inboard and outboard commercial grade aluminum boats for years. The only negatives in an aluminum wake hull will be the limitations you will have on hull design, as complex variable radius deadrises are a lot tougher to do in aluminum than in a fiberglass mold. As far as durability, as long as he is using a decent plate thickness on the bottom, probably .250, that boat will destroy pretty much anything it runs into. We routinely run inboard jets thru 4 inch riffles and over beaver dams, logs, and all types of debris. If he is building it as a prop boat, then the running gear will be the vulnerable area.

Repair on aluminum is no more difficult than on glass, perhaps even easier for the right guys. Paint and finishes are standard auto based base coat clear coat, and any body shop will be able to handle cosmetics repairs.

I tell you one thing, if he is building it correctly, it's gonna be expensive...... huge amounts of skilled labor in the fabrication end of that hull.
Old     (petrey10)      Join Date: Apr 2010       10-02-2010, 8:13 AM Reply   
I could see that being 100k... great idea! I love the diesel option as I would love to get a diesel wakeboat. 2/3 lighter would be great! we can ALWAYS add weight but you can't subtract it. Really interested in this but I won't pay 100k for it...
Old     (whirli_7)      Join Date: Aug 2003       10-02-2010, 9:40 AM Reply   
I don't think that the strength is going to be an issue. Tin hulls on crestliners, and lunds are extremely durable. I don't think that Tin is going to be any lighter then fiberglass but I may be mistaken. My 20 ft crestliner is about 3500lbs with a 4.3 sterndrive.

I have always wanted to convert my crestliner into a wake boat by making it a V-drive. it will be interesting to watch this.
Old     (repo)      Join Date: Feb 2010       10-02-2010, 4:22 PM Reply   
Check this one out. A guy down here in Australia is very close to finishing this project now.

http://www.wake.com.au/modules.php?n...wtopic&t=29434
Old     (ilikebeaverandboats)      Join Date: Jul 2007       10-04-2010, 12:22 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by repo View Post
Check this one out. A guy down here in Australia is very close to finishing this project now.

http://www.wake.com.au/modules.php?n...wtopic&t=29434
cant see the pictures and i dont wanna join, think you could post em here?
Old     (repo)      Join Date: Feb 2010       10-04-2010, 3:35 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by ilikebeaverandboats View Post
cant see the pictures and i dont wanna join, think you could post em here?
Sorry its up to 6 pages of posts up to now, from start of build to just about ready to be put in the water.
Old     (johnny_jr)      Join Date: Mar 2006       10-04-2010, 9:00 AM Reply   
Tried to reg. for the site, but I can not figure out the dumb quiz question. Anyone provide me with help?
Old     (polarbill)      Join Date: Jun 2003       10-04-2010, 9:32 AM Reply   
If that boat is going to be used in Salt the entire 12v system needs to be isolated/insulated ground. If not then the entire hull, manifolds are going to act like a zinc.
Old     (ilikebeaverandboats)      Join Date: Jul 2007       10-04-2010, 10:29 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by repo View Post
Sorry its up to 6 pages of posts up to now, from start of build to just about ready to be put in the water.
how about just one picture? something! i cant see any of them. I hate that sites make you join to see the pictures.....wtf
Old     (rallyart)      Join Date: Nov 2006       10-04-2010, 10:52 AM Reply   
Here are a couple of pictures of the Aussie one.
Attached Images

Old     (craig_f)      Join Date: Feb 2008       10-02-2010, 7:53 PM Reply   
If there is a lot of s#it in the water (you should have see the Mississippi last week in st louis, I felt like we were using the supra as an icebreaker) or you are hardcore enough to ride in the ice... (remember how everyone blasted the guy for ACTUALLY using his Mastercraft as an icebreaker) It makes allot of sense who does'nt want a stronger lighter hull? You can always add weight.
Old     (882001)      Join Date: Nov 2003       10-02-2010, 8:05 PM Reply   
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EXYjL1aUNeE
they seem to hold up just fine
Old     (tonyv420)      Join Date: Jul 2007       10-04-2010, 2:03 PM Reply   
Very cool!! I would leave it shiny, no paint (maybe a few stickers)
Old     (jay_g)      Join Date: Apr 2006       10-04-2010, 2:18 PM Reply   
Dont paint it and pull it with a Delorian
Old     (ilikebeaverandboats)      Join Date: Jul 2007       10-04-2010, 8:23 PM Reply   
bet it will throw a mean surfwave with that hull as flat as it is once they weight that sucker down!!
Old     (ajholt7)      Join Date: Apr 2009       10-05-2010, 3:39 AM Reply   
OMG...That pickle fork looks dangerous! I bet that thing could do some damage in an accident.
Old     (mike3500)      Join Date: Jun 2008       10-06-2010, 7:52 AM Reply   
The first thing I noticed with the Pavati boat is the huge blind spot on the sides from the tower. I would not like that. Seems like a huge safety concern, plus, you would have to get out of the driver's seat in order to talk to the rider in the water. Other than that, it seems alright.

All the other talk (structural, 12v system, etc), although i appreciate it, is all WAY over my head.
Old     (tailgate)      Join Date: Apr 2007       10-06-2010, 11:55 AM Reply   
Didn't someone make a steel homemade wakeboat a few years ago? It pulled some event, and I believe it also had a diesel engine...

https://www.wakeworld.com/news/featu...05-44-503.html

Last edited by tailgate; 10-06-2010 at 11:58 AM.
Old     (mattgettel)      Join Date: Jan 2009       10-06-2010, 12:06 PM Reply   
damn that steel boat is impressive!
Old     (cowwboy)      Join Date: Jul 2008       10-14-2010, 7:58 AM Reply   
Think of the flexability possibilities in the long run.
Need to change motor mount for some new tech motor.
Go grab your tig welder.
Knock a hole in it- Grab your tig.
Want to change it to gravity ballast, same deal.
Think of welded in ports that won't leak.
Personally I see it as a great advancement if they can get the contours of the hull right.
No worries of rot ever.
Cost and sound are the only things I could see stopping it.
By why not have the same mold and have a cast aluminum hull?

Think about if ya decide ya want some chines somewhere?
Hire a welder and install a new chine or have a plate welded over a chine to correct it.
Old     (wake26)      Join Date: Mar 2009       10-14-2010, 2:30 PM Reply   
I was on my winter passtime web sight and came across these aluminum boats and some snowmobiles
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7UPUV-ZVlk0
Old     (dizzlestoy)      Join Date: Aug 2006       01-10-2011, 1:30 PM Reply   
Got an email last night of an update of the boat.

The boat will be available around mid February. It should retail for between 80k and 120k depending on motor and options. I have a waiting list if you would like o be added to it. I can quote you out now if you want. I will fly you in for a test drive if you would like- this boat rides amazing and has a wake that will go toe to toe with anything out there. Let me know.

Chuck Gros
Pavati Marine &
Highway products
800-866-5269 office
541-840-4928 cell
800-465-9545 fax
Old     (tyler97217)      Join Date: Aug 2004       01-10-2011, 2:09 PM Reply   
Would love to check this thing out, but could not say i would have a lot of faith in a fishing boat company being able to compete with the big boys. We will see huh. They are in Oregon too. Go ducks
Old     (grant_west)      Join Date: Jun 2005       01-10-2011, 7:20 PM Reply   
OMG that Video is Awesome The Dukes Of Hazzard of the water
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7UPUV-ZVlk0
God Bless hillbillys and God bless the U.S of A
Old     (mcdye)      Join Date: Apr 2009       01-11-2011, 6:59 AM Reply   
that is crazy!!
Old     (jarrod)      Join Date: May 2003       01-11-2011, 10:54 AM Reply   
That was nuts. I was more entertained by the snowmobiles. Those guys hit the water hard!
Old     (downfortheride)      Join Date: Jun 2005 Location: SLC, UT 5600'       01-11-2011, 11:01 AM Reply   
I'm down for that land gap with the boat... LEGIT!