Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Wakeboarding Discussion Archives > Archive through May 05, 2004

Old     (scott_a)      Join Date: Dec 2002       03-25-2004, 5:52 PM Reply   
So my family was leaving Orwood down the slough that takes you toward Disco Bay (between the two 5mph zones) and I noticed two new docks (I don't remember them being there before?) midway down the slough. Not surprisingly enough, they were both prominantly displaying a "5 mph NO WAKE" sign on a pole. What's the deal with this? Do people legally need to slow down for this or are they just building wherever the hell they want and trying to impose some BS speed restrictions on hundreds of boaters that just wanna get the hell away from Orwood so they can ride?

Personally I think these two docks are in a VERY bad location. They are in a very high traffic area so even if it IS illegal, I don't think too many people are going to slow down for them...

I just was wondering what you guys thought about this whole thing. I know there are quite a few people that launch out of Orwood regularly so I thought I'd throw this question out for everyone...
Old     (seaswirlmike)      Join Date: Nov 2003       03-25-2004, 6:53 PM Reply   
if you read the small print on them when you go by it says "when boats are present you are responsible for damage.........." penal code blah blah. the union point bridge also has something that says "your responsible" or something to that nature

personally i agree that is a really bad spot for a dock but on the other hand i have never seen a boat at either of those docks.
Old     (lehmur)      Join Date: Oct 2001       03-25-2004, 6:55 PM Reply   
They were put up late last year and the 5mph signs went up over the Winter.
Do you have to slow down legally? Yes and No. If there is a boat tied up, Yes. If there are no boats, No. If you take a close look at the signs they also state this.
Everyone I know agrees that this is a bad place to put docks, but I think the blame goes to the County or whatever governing body controls where pilings can be driven for docks. Unfortunately for everyone they were obviously given the authorization to build them.
As far as people flying by, most people did last year boats or not. I bet you won't see too many do it this year as the police were lurking there at the end of last season to catch people.
Old     (speedy)      Join Date: Apr 2002       03-25-2004, 6:56 PM Reply   
5 mph NO WAKE, when boats are present. I have yet to pass the dock with a boat there, however that may change in the summer.
Old    gw_mark            03-25-2004, 6:58 PM Reply   
Scotta! Are you staying out of trouble? Didn't think so. Are there boats parked at the docks now? The docks have been there for a while and used to have painted 5 mile signs (which I even ignored on more than one occasion) If there are boats parked then you should give them the courtesy of slowing down. If not then I seriously doubt that anyone will damage to the docks themselves by flying by.
Do me a favor, the next time you are out there, get vid of someone jumping or sliding them, I always wanted to do that before I moved and never got the chance.
Wow, sorry guys everyone posted at once, I think we all agree Scotta.

(Message edited by gw_mark on March 25, 2004)
Old     (dakid)      Join Date: Feb 2001       03-25-2004, 7:15 PM Reply   
It is also illegal to haul ass in that tight, high-traffic area, and as far as I know, the law states that boats must travel no more than 5mph within 200ft of a beach. There's a beach at that corner, right?
Old     (lehmur)      Join Date: Oct 2001       03-25-2004, 7:34 PM Reply   
No, there is no beach where those dock are. Joe you are talking about a different area by Orwood. The docks in question are halfway between the Orwood 5 and the Discovery Bay 5 on Orwood slough. Before you know it people might have to idle all the way from Orwood to DB. That'll add an hour each way for a trip out.

Another reason I was surprised that they allowed those docks is because at low tide that slough gets pretty shallow on the other side. With the docks there is a pretty narrow area that is really safe for passage IMO.
Old    piglet69            03-25-2004, 7:42 PM Reply   
I know in that particular area that Joe is talking about, we have been almost victim to two speed boats having a pissing contest and split between us while we were TOWING a boat..... In the summer evening it gets nuts with drunks having fun..
Last year I did see boats docked there and I am sure that this is why the new signs..
Old     (alan_bogdanoff)      Join Date: Jan 2003       03-25-2004, 7:56 PM Reply   
Hey Scott A,
When we hookin up to do some riding?
Old    wakelvr            03-25-2004, 8:07 PM Reply   
I remember that pissing contest Cass. That was the evening Christie was towing us in. That was a close call.
Old    piglet69            03-25-2004, 8:08 PM Reply   
I couldnt remember who was being towed hehehe I knew it was one of us
How do you like my new name hehehe
Old     (scott_a)      Join Date: Dec 2002       03-25-2004, 8:26 PM Reply   
Mark B: haha great idea.

ok who wants to slide that dock Wakeboarding Unleashed style???

there were no boats parked there today...hell i only saw one other wakeboard boat (X-30) and it was wakesurfing.

alan: email me your contact info. scotta@wakepics.com
Old    wakelvr            03-25-2004, 8:27 PM Reply   
Oh yes, that would be the day I messed up my knee and the day we ran out of gas... doh!

What's up with your name? Check your email.
Old    norcal_99            03-25-2004, 10:15 PM Reply   
Scott, I was pulling Kevin Bird last winter and he ollied both of those docks.
Old    norcal_99            03-25-2004, 10:19 PM Reply   
Scott, come to think about it I think you were filming it. Check your old footage you have of Kevin. I think it was the day riding when the Wakeboard TV guy was there.
Old     (greatdane)      Join Date: Feb 2001       03-26-2004, 12:34 AM Reply   
Wakeboard TV - that was a bust.

I think at least one of those houses had a dock all of the time and now the docks have been improved.

If that channel becomes 5 mph the entire way, it will really hurt Orwood's business.

BTW, on the other side of Orwood, can I fit under all those bridges and pipes with my VLX and BOSS tower? At high tide? So far, I have never attempted it!
Old     (scott_a)      Join Date: Dec 2002       03-26-2004, 12:50 AM Reply   
dane: I'm not exactly sure about the clearance, but I have been on several different boats (SAN, VLX, X-Star) and I've gone under the bridges. High tide might make things a bit hairy, but just go super slow and see if you clear.

Rene: really? I'll have to check my tapes to see if he did ollie the docks...I don't remember him doing that though because it would have definitely been on one of the videos that I made...
Old     (richd)      Join Date: Oct 2003       03-26-2004, 6:16 AM Reply   
Joe:

That beach rule is scary, one of our members got ticketed last summer on victoria coming down the back slough towards our island. It was low tide and some boats were beached there like normal. He pulled a rider by them with the sheriff sitting there and got a fat ticket. We couldn't believe it!
Old     (wakehound)      Join Date: Oct 2003       03-26-2004, 8:25 AM Reply   
Those 5MPH signs are only legal if the DBW (or whatever it's called these days) put it up. There has been numerous discussions on this subject over on the Delta Chambers forum (http://www.californiadelta.org/cgi-bin/Ultimate.cgi). Check with a sheriff. They should know whether or not those signs are legal. Boats or no boats, they can't just put a sign up.

mb