Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through May 04, 2005

Old     (ride_klein)      Join Date: Aug 2003       04-29-2005, 12:48 PM Reply   
I've got a 1986 Nautique 2001. We got it a few years ago, and have loved every minute of it since she became ours. I used to slalom exclusively, but I've caught the wakeboard bug. With that bug comes the desire to pump up the wake and we've started adding weight to the boat. The stock prop just isn't cut out for what we want the boat to do now, and the recent development in prop technology has me looking for a new prop.

I've seen tons of questions on here about new props, and I've got a rare opportunity to do a head to head comparison with a few different props. We use the boat about 50/50 for slalom and wakeboarding. All the research led me to order the Acme 542. Seems like most people were getting an awesome hole shot as well as gaining a mile or two per hour with this prop. I could have chosen the Acme 540, but after talking with the guys at Acme they suggested I order the 542 so we wouldn't ever have a problem with weighing the boat down.

Lots of people have switched props but nobody has done actual comparisons between them that I've been able to find. I'll have access to the following props;
the orignal 13x13RH (rebuilt and balanced two years ago, no hits or dings just normal use)
13x13RH Completely rebuilt and balanced
Acme 542 which is a 13x11.5RH.

I've got a prop puller and I'm planning on running all three props on the same day in order to get measurements that are as close to accurate as possible. I'm going to measure 0-20 times weighted and unweighted, 0-30 times, 0-36 times. I'll give you a feel measurement for handling and ability to maintain speed when the rider is cutting both weighted and unweighted. I'll give you a feel measurement for boat vibration, and rudder feel.

I'll post up pictures and my information when I'm done, but I wanted to see if anybody else had some questions or tests they wanted me to perform while I'm out on the water.

I get the Acme on Wednesday of next week, and I hope to get on the lake that evening to do the tests. Le me know if you've got other questions and I'll get you what I can.
Old     (tranner)      Join Date: Aug 2003       04-29-2005, 2:28 PM Reply   
I'm interested as I own an 85 2001.
If you have time, can you see what the difference in engine RPM is between the ACME vs stock 13x13 while running the same mph.

Old     (ride_klein)      Join Date: Aug 2003       04-29-2005, 4:41 PM Reply   
JT-

Great suggestion. I'll be happy to get that recorded.
Old     (ride_klein)      Join Date: Aug 2003       05-03-2005, 7:47 AM Reply   
The prop should be in tomorrow, and if we can get a break from the wind down here in Texas I'll hit the lake and get some results. I should be able to get a good comparisson between all three props.

I've gotten some other recomendations from other sites and right now I'll be documenting the following things for each prop. Speed verified by GPS. Incidentally we run about 1000lbs of weight 400 in the back (behind the seat), 250 on each side of the motor box (bags touching the rear seat), and 100 up front. It will be myself and a spotter for the trip.

Top Speed
0 - 20 times (weighted and unweighted)
0 - 36 times
RPM's for 20 mph (weighted and unweighted)
RPM's for 36 mph
Time from 20 - off plain
Time from 36 - off plain
Feel raiting for vibration
Feel raiting for steering
Feel raiting for ability to hold speed while rider/skier is cutting
Wake Pictures at 20 (Weighted and unweighted)
Wake Pictures at 36

There's been some talk about the rooster tail increasing at slalom speeds, as well as the wake "softening" and I'll try to comment on that.

Anything else you guys/gals want to know?