Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Wakesurfing

Old     (speez)      Join Date: Jun 2007       08-07-2007, 11:44 AM Reply   
Been riding my 4'9" broadcast and me and my brother can both ride no problem (02 xstar, factory ballast + 3-8 people, working on additional plumbed bags). we're still working on dialing the pocket in, but we both have been riding frontside goofy (starboard) and have had no problems cruising and i can almost, almost get surface 3's, im about a half second behind the wave.

anyways, my dad rides regular, and even with 6-7 people in the boat over on the port side, he cant really stay with it on the 4'9". we borrowed our friends 5'6" for a few sets last week and he was able to drop the rope with that for awhile, needs some practice he did fall out a few times but he could definitely stay in there.

knowing there are a ton of great boards out there, what would be some other models to look at for him (and for the rst of us to use) aside from the 5'6" broadcast. dad's about 6' 185 and does have a lot of surf experience from his high school and college days, not so much lately but he was basically a surf bum back then. im thinking the red tide from what i've read on here, any other suggestions? i think he may have ordered the 5'6" broadcast already but theres always room for more boards in the quiver.

thanks
Old     (norris_laker)      Join Date: Aug 2006       08-07-2007, 12:48 PM Reply   
I have 2005 X-2 (same hull as 2002 X-Star). If weighted correctly the port wake is much better than the goofy side. Highly recommend a Shred Stix JaMako. I'm 5'10" 178lbs and I love this board. You get a big pocket and the the board accelerates very nicely.

Here is how we reconfigured our boat;
1. Remove both hard tanks from the lockers (the extra room is great when the tanks are removed and you'll be surprised how little water the hard tanks actually hold)
2. Replace hard tanks with 750 Fly High X-Series Sacs
3. Place a Fly High X Series Tube Sac under the port side seat
4. Use a T connector after the Starboard pump. Have one line go to the port side tube sac and the other go to the Starboard Sac. Place a shutoff valve on both of these lines so you can control which sac will fill.

This configuration gives us a very good port side wake. We also fill the center ballast and place about 200 lbs and a person in the bow.

Port side wake surfing on a JaMako
Upload
Old     (spyderman)      Join Date: Mar 2007       08-07-2007, 8:48 PM Reply   
As far as a board goes I think you will be happier with the Inland Surfer Blue Lake. The Red Tide seems to work better with people a little bigger that your dad. He should be able to get the Blue Lake going pretty well - it about 7" longer than the Broadcast you are using. Plus you and your brother will be able to really advance your riding with the Blue Lake as well. It's a great all around board.

(Message edited by spyderman on August 07, 2007)
Old     (donnieb)      Join Date: Nov 2006       08-07-2007, 11:48 PM Reply   
I'm about the same size as your dad -- 185 pounds and 5'11, and I used to dabble at surfing back in Calif when I was growing up. As such, when I decided to take up wakesurfing earlier this year, I was looking for a carving, surf-style (rather than skim-style)board. And, I have nothing but good things to say about the Inland Surfer Blue Lake.

It's also turned out to be a great board for my heavier friends, for beginners who come on our boat, and it even works well for my wife and 90 pound daughter. Anyway, in a perfect world your dad would be able to demo a few different boards. If not, I think the Blue Lake would be a great choice.

If your dad is ever up in the Seattle area for business, have him ping me and I'll take him out for a ride.