Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Wakeboarding Discussion Archives > Archive through October 30, 2005

Old     (lovh20)      Join Date: Apr 2005       10-03-2005, 12:42 PM Reply   
Can Anyone Tell Me A Little Something About The Wakeboarding Community In San Diego? I Am Concidering On Taking A Job In El Cajon. If I Do, Should I Tow My Boat All The Way Down From Washington? I Noticed A Lake Jennings, Lake Murry, Sweetwater. Any Other Lakes? Can You Wakeboard On These? Does The Weather Impact Finding A 3rd Between Oct-March?..............Let Me Know
Old     (madchild1)      Join Date: Mar 2005       10-03-2005, 1:07 PM Reply   
the san diego wakeboard community is pretty strong. we love it... gues all of you do too :-). but water is at a premium.

the only one you can board on is san v and it getes really crowded. especially on weekends. thursday and friday mornings are nice though. the river is a few hours away, i like to go there, but it's shallow(sometimes very shallow) and experience is key there are a ton, a ton of sandbars.

there's always the bay...but that's salt. there's is also snug harbor in carlsbad, but that is also salt and about 60 miles north.

(Message edited by madchild1 on October 03, 2005)
Old     (melissad)      Join Date: Sep 2005       10-03-2005, 1:22 PM Reply   
We just bought a boat in August and have been at San Vicente (aka San V above) almost every weekend. The water is pretty good in the early mornings and I've heard in the evenings as well although we haven't stayed that long yet. I'm sure it's not too hard to find a third (although we've never tried ) as I have seen a few people on this site trying to find a pull.

I've heard the community is great and a ton of fun, but I haven't met the large group that hangs out at San V yet...hopefully one of these times I will get to!!
Old     (jdaviso1)      Join Date: Jul 2004       10-03-2005, 2:10 PM Reply   
The river is your best bet if you want good water for most of the day. It's true there are sand bars, but once you learn where they're located it is easy to avoid them.

San V is crowded and the water is pretty choppy.

Mission Bay came be OK if you go near Santa Clara Place, but you can only wakeboard there until 11 or after 5. The rest of Mission Bay is only for those with a death wish (too crowded for boating, much less wakeboarding).

Agua Hediona Lagoon in Carlsbad looks nice, but I have ridden there.

http://www.sandiego.gov/water/recreation/vicente.shtml
http://www.ci.carlsbad.ca.us/parks/lagooind.html

~J.
Old     (psych3060)      Join Date: Sep 2002       10-03-2005, 2:38 PM Reply   
There is a big group of people who wakeboard in San Diego currently and they will probably clue you into San V and Mission Bay. There is a big group of people who used to wakeboard in San Diego, but got tired of the crowds and power turners so we took up surfing and dirt biking. Good luck, good water is hard to come around in these parts.

(Message edited by psych3060 on October 03, 2005)
Old     (thespleen)      Join Date: Feb 2004       10-03-2005, 3:41 PM Reply   
Two fridays ago on Mission Bay, rode from around 6:30 in the morning until maybe 10 or later and had good/great water the whole time. Difference between summer (like late June- early Sept)and winter is night and day. Time of day restrictions for the area mentioned above (is that sail bay) are only during the summer.
Old     (lovh20)      Join Date: Apr 2005       10-03-2005, 3:49 PM Reply   
Thanks For All The Info! I Just Accepted The Job, So Will Move Down On The 12th Of Oct. I Don't Think I Will Be Towing The Boat Down, But May Need To Buy A Surfboard And Trade The Dry Suit In For A Wet Suit. I Need Some Why To Feed The Boarding Hunger! If Anyone Knows Of A Room For Rent Near El Cajon Let Me Know, I Am Currently Looking.
Old     (liveoz)      Join Date: May 2002       10-03-2005, 8:43 PM Reply   
Jamey,

I lived down there for 20+ years. Give me a call and I'll fill you in on when and where to rie for good water. There are places a few hours away that are similar to the east side up here. You should like them.

Troy
Old     (buzz_grande)      Join Date: Mar 2004       10-03-2005, 11:31 PM Reply   
Jamey,

Welcome. Don't get discouraged. There is a great WB community here, but the water is somewhat limited. You can get some good water in Turd Bay 1 or 2 (Mission Bay or SD Bay), but I don't put my boat in there. If you don't mind the winter water, it's pretty nice at San V, and not crowded. Feel free to hit me up when you get in town, and take a trip to San V with us. It's about 6 miles N of El Cajon. At least bring your board. Still great water (75 degrees). Also had a room for rent a couple months ago, but it got taken already. 2 miles from the lake, and room to store your boat! Bummer.
Old     (lovh20)      Join Date: Apr 2005       10-04-2005, 1:56 PM Reply   
Troy-

I Forgot That You Came From Cali. Had A Good Time In Pateros. Chat W/ You Soon

Jamey
Old    swass            10-04-2005, 2:17 PM Reply   
Please Stop. I Feel Like I'm Reading One Big Headline. Besides, Isn't It A Pain To Hit The Shift Key For Every Word?
Old     (melissad)      Join Date: Sep 2005       10-04-2005, 2:43 PM Reply   
Swass- What?
Old     (blake_hughes)      Join Date: May 2004 Location: Weatherford, Texas       10-04-2005, 3:05 PM Reply   
Swass,
Hahahah... I was thinking the same thing!

-Blake
Old     (melissad)      Join Date: Sep 2005       10-04-2005, 4:16 PM Reply   
I can't believe I typed what...I've been at work too long.
Old     (lovh20)      Join Date: Apr 2005       10-05-2005, 11:50 AM Reply   
Just trying To be A little Different.............Creatures of Habits!!