Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Wakesurfing

Old     (tmill)      Join Date: May 2011       10-03-2012, 8:52 AM Reply   
So I just got back from worlds and it sounds like there are more and more surf schools popping up around the country. So I want to know if anyone has gone and tried one out? What was your experience with it, what do you like and what did you not like.... Or if you were to go to a surf school what would you expect to get out of it?
Old     (Grnking230)      Join Date: Nov 2011       10-03-2012, 7:37 PM Reply   
My wife and I recently went to Austin TX for a work trip. We had a day we were free and decided to go to shred stixx wakesurf school . We had a blast!! Rusty took us out for a 6 hour lesson. My goal was to complete a 360 on a surf style board. At the beginning of the lesson I couldn't begin to get it around and by the end of the day I was spinning and left with a lot of confidence and completed the 360 at home behind my boat the next weekend!!! So I would rate my experience a 9 out of 10!!!

Hats of to rusty and the crew!!
Old     (Kingsriver)      Join Date: Aug 2011       10-03-2012, 8:32 PM Reply   
I would love to take a few lessons. I live in Central California but would drive to find one. Is there a list of schools anyplace. .?
Old     (Chaos)      Join Date: Apr 2010       10-05-2012, 3:56 PM Reply   
Kingsriver, the only list I am aware of off hand is:
wakesurfschool.com

There are two affiliates in California. There is almost always at least one outfit providing lesson on a regional lake. However, most come from a wakeboarding lesson background.

This is in fact a good opportunity for someone to do a bit of data mining and start cataloguing people that provide lessons.
Old     (ApplebyMommy)      Join Date: Sep 2012       10-06-2012, 7:12 PM Reply   
Any schools near the South East? I'm in TN would love to get my 4 year old in something next Summer. She's already gone briefly without the rope.
Old     (Grnking230)      Join Date: Nov 2011       10-07-2012, 5:45 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by ApplebyMommy View Post
Any schools near the South East? I'm in TN would love to get my 4 year old in something next Summer. She's already gone briefly without the rope.
Look on Shred Stixx web site ... I believe there is a affiliate in north Alabama
Old     (Wakesurfnc)      Join Date: Nov 2010       10-07-2012, 6:24 PM Reply   
Hey it's Brian Baker, if you are willing to travel to Lake Gaston, NC come check us out! www.wakesurfnc.com

I also travel and do lessons, if anyone is interested give me an email at bbaker2012@gmail.com. I hope everyone is getting as many waves as possible before the cold weather hits!
Old     (WakesurfSanDiego)      Join Date: Mar 2012       10-08-2012, 4:36 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kingsriver View Post
I would love to take a few lessons. I live in Central California but would drive to find one. Is there a list of schools anyplace. .?
I have taught over 400 people to wakesurf. check out www.surfthirty.com

Come to SD and ride with us. We are NOT a commercial school or service, just friends riding with friends.

I am on the water every Thursday, Saturday and Sunday, usually 15-20 hours per week.

I own over 20 wake surf boards, from Liquid Force, Isle, Walker, Hyper, CWB, Phase 5 & others.

There is a full commercial service in San Diego - Resort Watersports, google em...

Marco 619-518-3001
Old     (WakesurfSanDiego)      Join Date: Mar 2012       10-08-2012, 4:37 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by tmill View Post
So I just got back from worlds and it sounds like there are more and more surf schools popping up around the country. So I want to know if anyone has gone and tried one out? What was your experience with it, what do you like and what did you not like.... Or if you were to go to a surf school what would you expect to get out of it?

There is a full commercial service in San Diego - Resort Watersports, google em...
Old     (tonyv420)      Join Date: Jul 2007       10-09-2012, 9:26 PM Reply   
Hey tmill, funny how you didn’t get an answer, just everyone givin props to their schools. Except for Grnking230. I’ll give you what your looking for.
What i would like to see is lessons for a buck twenty five a hour, up to 3 riders. I would hope that I would walk away with being able to get some airs, and some good direction on how to pull a three. Thats just me. I’m sure for someone who has never surfed before the expectations would prob be different. Oh yea and the clock is only running while the rider is up....LOL thought I’d throw that in for fun. Congrats on winning worlds outlaw!! I watched your run!
Old     (tonyv420)      Join Date: Jul 2007       10-09-2012, 9:29 PM Reply   
I would prob pay up to 150 an hour, if the lesssons were behind a Centurion 244
Old     (Wakesurfnc)      Join Date: Nov 2010       10-09-2012, 10:16 PM Reply   
Wakesurfnc get pulled behind a fully sacked out enzo 244!
Old     (h20k9)      Join Date: Aug 2007       10-09-2012, 10:39 PM Reply   
In Austin Texas on lake Austin or Travis you can work with Billy Clark.
Rates: 3 people, $150 per hour. Private lessons $300 per hour
Sacked out 24 Enzo.
Call in advance, u can ride with 2012 World Champion Raleigh Hager!
Old     (dejoeco)      Join Date: Apr 2003       10-10-2012, 7:50 AM Reply   
Wake surfing is really taking off. This coming spring there is going to be a weekend / overnight camp at my lake house in Florida with Bri Chmel, 5x world champion, along with others. This will be held the second week in March with other potential dates to follow. The boat will be a 2013 Enzo 233. This initial even will be part of the Women's Wake Surf Association.

This is a good opportunity to kick start next season in sunny Florida.
Old     (Jbort)      Join Date: Aug 2011       10-10-2012, 10:35 AM Reply   
Diana: Where in TN? There is Allatoona Adventures just north of Atlanta that looks good-check them on FB. Surf fresh on Lake Norman in NC. WakeSurf NC on Lake Gaston in Littleton NC.
Old     (wakeworld)      Join Date: Jan 1997       10-10-2012, 11:32 AM Reply   
I just went out with Marco at www.surfthirty.com this past Sunday. Not only was it a lot of fun hanging out with those guys, but I even learned a thing or two on the board. I highly recommend them!
Old     (ApplebyMommy)      Join Date: Sep 2012       10-10-2012, 6:15 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jbort View Post
Diana: Where in TN? There is Allatoona Adventures just north of Atlanta that looks good-check them on FB. Surf fresh on Lake Norman in NC. WakeSurf NC on Lake Gaston in Littleton NC.
I'm in Chattanooga but I'm sure not everyone is going to be interested in working with my little kids. It is going to take the right kind of person. My husband and I would love to learn so tricks but honestly I'd like to get my 4 year old going without the rope for more than 30 seconds.
Old     (johnboyy7)      Join Date: Apr 2011       10-11-2012, 2:37 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by wakeworld View Post
I just went out with Marco at www.surfthirty.com this past Sunday. Not only was it a lot of fun hanging out with those guys, but I even learned a thing or two on the board. I highly recommend them!
what did you learn?
Old     (wakeworld)      Join Date: Jan 1997       10-11-2012, 3:16 PM Reply   
Since I'm goofy and the weight was on the "wrong" side for me, I worked on riding left foot forward. I was pretty stoked at how quickly I picked it up and felt solid. He also gave me a great tip when he told me to point down the wave when I start falling back. That saved me a few times.
Old     (wolfe_drew)      Join Date: Mar 2010       10-15-2012, 5:39 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by ApplebyMommy View Post
I'm in Chattanooga but I'm sure not everyone is going to be interested in working with my little kids. It is going to take the right kind of person. My husband and I would love to learn so tricks but honestly I'd like to get my 4 year old going without the rope for more than 30 seconds.
I think you will be pleasantly surprised to find that most would love to work with the kids, especially if they are into it, listen well and respond to the instruction. My 10 & 12 yr old daughters have had lessons with Chase, Caro & Doum and all 3 were awesome!

We've been to a few competitions and ALL the pro riders have been extremely accommodating to our family. In addition to those above, the Walkers are superb folks, the Flegels, the Forts, Bri, Todd G, Drew, Ashley, and the Wake Shredder - Sean Cummings. They have encouraged, congratulated and inspired my girls to do their best. We met so many great people this season.

Two of my favorite stories from this season:

My oldest is sitting behind Drew @ Nationals and turns to me wide-eyed and points while mouthing, "OMG, that's Drew Danielo!" She waits for a break in the conversation he was having and taps him on the shoulder. He spends the next 45 mins talking to her about her riding, signing her board and he then leads the thunderous cheer as she reaches the beach after her final run where she pulled her first 360.

At 10,000 Lakes, Sean was on the mic while my youngest was making her finals run and she missed her 360. As she got back to shore, he drops the mic and meets her before anyone else. He asks, "what happened on that 3?" She kinda shakes her head and mumbles and that didn't work for him. So, right there he gives her a lesson.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
Old     (SurfNerd)      Join Date: Oct 2012       10-22-2012, 7:27 PM Reply   
I have nothing but great things to say about the folks at Seca Marine in Lake Country, British Columbia. Check 'em out here:

http://secamarine.com/wake-school

Not only are their instructors super friendly (to both adult and kid learners), but they also have a variety of boats and boards available to choose from. Big props for my fellow hosers in the Great White North!