Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Wakeboarding Discussion Archives > Archive through November 16, 2009

Old     (clipse)      Join Date: Jul 2009       08-29-2009, 8:20 PM Reply   
Ok here is the deal. Two weeks ago wakeboarded 1st time ever got up after a few times.

Today different board and board could not for the life of me get up!

Seems like I was coming up over top of the board and the board would sink.

What was going on?

Seems like I also aggravated a back injury that might put my wakeboarding career on hold for a while.
Old     (jasonpav)      Join Date: Dec 2008       08-29-2009, 8:36 PM Reply   
do you know what board it was and/or what size the board was?
Old     (srh00z)      Join Date: Jun 2003       08-29-2009, 8:40 PM Reply   
You need to stay back a little longer and keep more weight over your heels for a little longer while the boat is coming out of the hole and the board is planing out.
Old     (clipse)      Join Date: Jul 2009       08-29-2009, 8:46 PM Reply   
Hyperlite State 140....

vs

Hyperlite Crusier 140 (this one I got up on)

It seemed as I sat back the rope just got ripped out of my hand. Driver adjusted speed etc. Maybe boat type and power?

A very experienced salolm skiier got up on the board no problem and he has wakeboarded a years ago a few times but I think his abilities on the skis helped...
Old     (sinkoumn)      Join Date: Jan 2007       08-29-2009, 8:53 PM Reply   
^join Learnwake.com
Old     (mikebu)      Join Date: Aug 2008       08-29-2009, 9:03 PM Reply   
If the rope is getting ripped out of your hands you aren't pushing your toes toward the boat so the board goes almost flat and starts sliding. Let the board go under water and as long as your toes are slighly higher then you heels it will pop up to the top of the water. Once it gets on top of the water and the boat gets up to speed then stand up and pull the rope to your leading hip.
Old     (clipse)      Join Date: Jul 2009       08-29-2009, 9:08 PM Reply   
It seemed to easy the 1st time ever and today was just frustration. Now my back needs to heal and we start all over next summer. No lakes in the frozen winter! Ah well! I`m trying to find some free videos for advice that site is cool but i`m not paying at time moment...
Old    59yroldkid            08-29-2009, 9:53 PM Reply   
What mikebu is saying is exactly right. However, if you are like me, it will take many tries before you will be able sense when you are maintaining the proper position as the boat begins to pull you. To eliminate some of the guesswork during the first few pulls, bend your knees as tightly as you can. Then put your arms around your legs so that the center of your right forearm crosses the center of your right shin and the center of your left forearm crosses the center of your left shin. Press your forearms hard against your shins to keep your knees bent as tightly as possible. Keep a tight grip on the handle.

Once the boat takes off, the board will be on top of the water in seven seconds or less, so hold that position precisely, for seven seconds, or until you know for sure that the board is out of the water. Once you are certain that the board is on top of the water, you can start to relax and stand up.
Old     (sorg67)      Join Date: Mar 2008       08-30-2009, 5:14 AM Reply   
I am a novice rider and the other posters here probably know a lot more about the mechanics of getting up than I do. However, we have successfully gotten a lot of first time riders up on our boat and we find that sometimes you can think too much and try to hard. Getting up on a wake board is actually very easy if you let it be easy.

We tell people to keep their knees bent with a tad more weight on their back foot and don't stand up until the board is on the water. Once you stand up, point your front hip at the boat.

Just relax and let it be easy.
Old     (jtnz)      Join Date: Sep 2007       08-30-2009, 5:22 PM Reply   
Out of everyone I have taught only 2 guys could not get up successfully. One probably because the board was too small for him, but still should have been enough to get him out of the water. The second friend of mine wasn't getting it really so I jumped in and hooked up another rope, the reason he wasn't getting up was because he was trying to stand up too soon. You really need to wait and let the boat pull you up. Just keep your heels in close to your butt and stay crouched almost in a ball but with your arms straight. You don't even need to lean back really just resist the pull of the boat but most importantly don't try to stand up until the board is on the water, or it will just dig in and you'll either go out the front or lose the handle. When you do pop up you can stay in the crouched position all day if you want to.
Old     (radrachel)      Join Date: May 2009       08-30-2009, 7:27 PM Reply   
There's a lot to remember when getting out of the water when you're new. Keep working on it, and soon enough it'll become natural.
Old     (johnsvt)      Join Date: Dec 2006       08-31-2009, 3:00 AM Reply   
trying to stand up too early is usually the problem
Old     (axeman)      Join Date: Aug 2009       08-31-2009, 6:54 AM Reply   
I tried for 3 years (couple of times each summer) to get up and couldn't. Two most important things are size of board and being patient. WAIT until the board is on top of the water to stand up. I always tried to stand up too early and ended up losing the rope, catching edge, jamming my hands into the board (from not letting go of the rope). You name it!
Old     (clipse)      Join Date: Jul 2009       08-31-2009, 7:54 AM Reply   
My problem was the board would not even plane. IT would submerge. I think I solved up a few issues.

I had my hands right over my knees instead of around them...

I was not crouched and sitting on the board as I thought I was and need to sit more.

I guess I was doing all that a few weeks back and got up but forgot it all this time and was concentrating too hard and trying to look at other things...
Old     (axeman)      Join Date: Aug 2009       08-31-2009, 8:47 AM Reply   
I just noticed you said you tried on a Hyperlite State 140. Did it have the center fins in? I have this board and I know for a fact its real easy to catch an edge with the center fins on it...
Old     (tampawake)      Join Date: Mar 2008       08-31-2009, 9:23 AM Reply   
To me the driver is huge. I find pulling people up slowly is helpful and if your going over the front your trying to stand up way to early. Detention 2012 is a good buy for newbies
Old     (clipse)      Join Date: Jul 2009       08-31-2009, 8:31 PM Reply   
Yes center fins....
Old     (nmcjr)      Join Date: Aug 2009       09-25-2009, 3:28 PM Reply   
I agree with those who said trying to stand up too early. My experience is that once people get up they get impatient and stand up too early. Remember, knees to chest, arms out, and do, well nothing, the boat will pull you up. Do not straighten your legs until on top of water. Also, have the driver pull you very slowly. You'd be surprised how slowly you can actually get up and how much easier it is when beginning.
Old     (joeshmoe)      Join Date: Jan 2003       09-27-2009, 6:40 PM Reply   
Dan, does your boat have a tower or an extended pilon? Everybody gets up with a pole
Old     (radrachel)      Join Date: May 2009       09-27-2009, 10:56 PM Reply   
Take it from me, it took 4 months for me to get up! Don't let these other guys say it's so easy. The boat was pulling away and I couldnt hold onto the handle for anything. As a result of my holding on for dear life, I was usually bent over too much, falling forward. Also, wakeboards are made in different lengths for different weights, and some boards are heavier than others. I was able to get up on a longer board, but it was heavier so I felt like I was dragging it along. The new Ronix One is longer but still light and I love that board. It's a lot to remember when getting up at first. Crouch in a ball, and stay that way until on top of the water, and dont lean forward!
Old     (brycejb328)      Join Date: Aug 2009       09-28-2009, 5:33 AM Reply   
when i'm getting lazy or tired i'll try get up faster instead of letting the boat take me up, board sinks and handle gets yanked out of my hands... bad habit.
Old     (tampawake)      Join Date: Mar 2008       09-28-2009, 6:02 AM Reply   
Can you find someone with a barefoot boom to learn how to get up there first.