Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through February 21, 2008

Old     (badknees)      Join Date: Aug 2005       01-15-2008, 9:18 PM Reply   
I currently have a strapless tow cover. Thinking of changing to snap on. Anybody have a preference they like better? Why?
Old     (bill_airjunky)      Join Date: Apr 2002       01-15-2008, 9:33 PM Reply   
I will never buy another boat that has any snaps in it. My 94 205 had multiple issues with the snaps.

- they tear out of the Sunbrella cover
- the holes crack in the glass
- the little pieces they use to install in the windshield frame scratch the frame up when they slide.

It's a cheap way to do a cover. But it only works as planned for a few years. As things age, it falls apart.

A Rankin style cover may fall apart after a few years too. But it won't drag the boat down with it.
Old     (uofamox)      Join Date: Feb 2007       01-15-2008, 9:44 PM Reply   
IMO i had the snapon covers. I speak from experience because my bow has a snap on cover. I never use the cover and it annoys me when I wash my boat cuz of all those stupid buttions. Stick with Rankin or evolution cover. My $.02
Old     (houdini)      Join Date: Aug 2005       01-16-2008, 7:23 AM Reply   
why would you want 100 holes in your boat fit to a cover that may rip? I had a snap on from the factory and after 2 years I couldn't get it to snap all over as i think it shrunk just a tad.

looks way cleaner with no snaps!!! plus you shouldn't be towing with a cover, especially a snap on cover due to wind, tearing, and damage to your gel coat.
Old     (chpthril)      Join Date: Oct 2007       01-16-2008, 7:28 AM Reply   
My last boat had a 2 piece snap down cover. I hated having the snaps all over the boat. I prefer the clean look of no snaps, so I'd say go with the pull-over.
Old    swass            01-16-2008, 7:37 AM Reply   
The lone voice of dissent...

I love my snap-on cover! I have 0 issues - no tearing, no loose snaps, etc. The guy who made mine said, "If you ever lose a snap - ever - I'll fix it for free. But don't worry - you won't lose one." Mike, towing is exactly what mine is designed for. It has a felt backing everywhere that touches the boat, so there's no gel coat damage. IMO, my interior is in great shape in large part because the boat doesn't leave the garage without the cover on.

I hate lose and loose!

(Message edited by swass on January 16, 2008)
Old     (bill_airjunky)      Join Date: Apr 2002       01-16-2008, 7:52 AM Reply   
Give it a few years, Swass. You'll see what I mean.
Old    swass            01-16-2008, 7:56 AM Reply   
It's been a few already. My boat is a '99.

All the problems mentioned are due to poorly made/designed covers. IMO.
Old     (auto)      Join Date: Aug 2002       01-16-2008, 8:10 AM Reply   
I hate snap on cover, have the towable cover and love it, not cheap but pure greatness.
Old     (trentj6930)      Join Date: Oct 2007       01-16-2008, 8:28 AM Reply   
I second what Swass said. I have a 97 Mariah with the 2 piece snap cover and love the way it has kept the interior. It is made for towning and does not flap at all. It goes over the windshield and keeps the boat very clean even if we end up in the rain driving somewhere.Upload
Old     (kenteck)      Join Date: Jan 2005       01-16-2008, 8:38 AM Reply   
I agree with swass, It just depends how you take care of it and how you take it off and on, what starts the rips is when you grab a corner and pull up releasing 10 or so snaps at once, or pulling on the last one 5ft away, instead of walking around to unsnapping it, taking your time snapping it on and off will increase the life of your top, remember you get what you pay for!
Next month I am having one made for my boat, I would rather pay for quality than trying to save a few hundred and have to replace in a year or so.
Old     (bill_airjunky)      Join Date: Apr 2002       01-16-2008, 9:10 AM Reply   
Sorry guys, these were not cheap quality covers. And it doesn't happen the first few years. I'm on my 5th boat. The first 3 boats had snap on covers & all had issues of some kind. The last one had no snaps & everything stayed in way better shape, ie; no snaps popping out of the cover or glass, no cracks or scratches in the powdercoat, no bugs getting into the boat thru the vents, etc.

The other thing is I couldn't stand how little of the boat it covered, just like on the pic of the Mariah above. One trip over the pass & the boat was filthy. But with the Rankin I can pull it off, drop it in the lake & the boat is as clean as when I left the house.

Anyway, you get what you pay for.
Old    swass            01-16-2008, 9:18 AM Reply   
To each his own.
Old     (dudeman)      Join Date: Mar 2005       01-16-2008, 9:29 AM Reply   
Love the snap on. Especially in the winter when you can just snap on the bow cover, pop up the playpen seat and turn on the heater. No such thing as a cold day. I don't tow that much with it, but it has been towed a half dozen times of more than 2 hours with no issues. 2 of the crew have full covers that are also very sweet.
Old     (trentj6930)      Join Date: Oct 2007       01-16-2008, 9:37 AM Reply   
I haven't used a Rankin Cover at all. It will be something to look into though. I am sure that they are not cheap. The cover on my Mariah is ten years old and had only one snap ever pull out of the fabric. I would have to agree will Bill K as mentioned above about the boat being dirty on the outside. It always meant putting it in the water and spending some time with a rag and sponge cleaning it off. Although it usually meant some alone time with a cold beer and tunes right after! It seems nobody has time to help you clean a boat!
Old     (trentj6930)      Join Date: Oct 2007       01-16-2008, 9:38 AM Reply   
Bill do you have any pictures of the cover on your boat? I will need a good tow cover for my new ride this summer.
Old     (bcrider)      Join Date: Apr 2006       01-16-2008, 9:39 AM Reply   
I have a snap for the bow only for early spring riding when it rains a bit for our stuff as well as my boat sits pretty low so I like it on the windy days to keep the water out of the front. I have a tie down for trailering. I agree I wouldn't want snaps running all down the side of my boat.
Old     (trentj6930)      Join Date: Oct 2007       01-16-2008, 9:41 AM Reply   
BTW the mariah as above is for sale. Completely rebuilt high performance 4.3l merc, ported, polished, bored out, high compression pistons. 1 year of warranty! Any takers? Anyone, Anyone?
Old     (badknees)      Join Date: Aug 2005       01-16-2008, 9:43 AM Reply   
Appreciate all the input. I think most covers have made some pretty serious improvements through the years. My biggest catch is do I want the snaps on the gelcoat. I may be moving on to a different boat and I can get either cover, or if I can't get mine sold I have thought about adding the snap on.

Bill, I may have camped at twin a few summer's back with you and the tri-cities crew! Am I correct?
Chris
Old     (michealhoward)      Join Date: May 2007       01-16-2008, 9:58 AM Reply   
I just don't like the look of the snaps. I have a Rankin and love it. I have towed with it going over 70 for 4 hours and not one single issue with it.
Old     (bill_airjunky)      Join Date: Apr 2002       01-16-2008, 10:17 AM Reply   
Hey Chris,
Yea, that was us at Twin. I heard you were getting out of that Malibu a while back. Did you upgrade or decide to keep it? Big changes in TriCities these days. I'm not sure if we'll all be able to hook up or not. Hoping for Twin or Fishhook sometime soon.

I don't have any pics of my own boat covered, but here are two sites for the best covers out there (IMO).
http://www.rankincovers.com/
http://evolutioncovers.com/
Old     (houdini)      Join Date: Aug 2005       01-16-2008, 10:26 AM Reply   
I do think it is personal opinion. My buddy had a 93 sport nautique and they hid the snaps slightly underneath the rub rail. That seemed smart. My malibu's cover wrachets (spelling?) tight under the rub rail. No straps, no snaps. It is great! I only tow with it in real bad weather, but that thing is on and off in about 30 seconds max. On top of the boat just doesn't seem like the right spot for dozens of little metal snaps.

Go with what you like, but personally I went from snaps to no-snap and haven't looked back.
Old     (trentj6930)      Join Date: Oct 2007       01-16-2008, 10:28 AM Reply   
Mike is that the stock Malibu cover? My buddy has a V-ride that pools water on it pretty bad. If I am going to spend the money on a cover I want to be happy. I am pretty picky about my boats!
Old     (badknees)      Join Date: Aug 2005       01-16-2008, 11:13 AM Reply   
Bill,Yeah, still workin on switching out the bu. Twin or Fishhook sounds great. We are hoping to make it out there a few times this year. Of course I'll make it up the snake at least once a month!
Old     (houdini)      Join Date: Aug 2005       01-16-2008, 12:47 PM Reply   
Hard to say... it came from the dealership, so I am guessing it is the stock cover...?? It has the ratchet on the back, no other straps and 2 poles. I put up the ski pylon as a "third" pole.

i don't think it pools water, but i keep it garaged, so most of the time I don't even put the poles up. i am not the best reference on that. my biggest complaints are the snaps mounted on the boat.
Old     (deuce)      Join Date: Mar 2002       01-16-2008, 1:56 PM Reply   
Agree, snap on..... Not my fist boat with snaps...no issues that Bill speaks of.

Never will have a boat without snaps....it is just the cover I prefer.

But like Swass says, to each their own....