Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Wakeboarding Discussion Archives > Archive through January 18, 2008

Old     (nismo)      Join Date: Dec 2007       12-29-2007, 7:22 PM Reply   
okay. for those of you that don't know.i just bought a hyperlite state 130 with foundation bindings for Christmas. i haven't been able to go out on it cause my fathers boat didn't have insurance. he just paid it today and we need to wait like a week until its covered. so my dad called his friend who lives about a hour ago and lives on a lake and has a boat.so tommorow morning if the guy says its okay...it 50/50as of now...we are going to drive down to his house and I'm going to go wakeboarding for my first time on a private lake!! I am really excited and cant wait.anyone have any tips? only things bothering me is the fact that i have tried water skiing and i sucked at i was only able to stay up for like 10 seconds lol. and the other thing is that i cant fit my feet comfortably into the bindings and i have no binding lube. so im thinking about using lotion or some cooking oil...will that work just as good?
Old     (cwbx993)      Join Date: Feb 2007       12-29-2007, 7:49 PM Reply   
good luck and have fun, its a blast! its the coolest feeling ever when you get up the first time!
Old     (otown_dave)      Join Date: Dec 2007       12-29-2007, 7:52 PM Reply   
Sun tan lotion works in a pinch, just make sure that you just use a little & in the water try to move your feet in the bindings to wash it out of there, dave.
Old     (leigh)      Join Date: Oct 2005       12-29-2007, 7:59 PM Reply   
dishwashing liquid and water mixed together works great.
Old     (otown_dave)      Join Date: Dec 2007       12-29-2007, 8:07 PM Reply   
For me it was easier to get up on a wakeboard than skis. When your in the water waiting for the rope to tighten up, bend your knees have the rope over the top of the board with the board angled slightly toward the boat. I ride left forward so I keep my handle more towards the right side & I think it helps the board rotate up better.Keep the handle low around your waist, wait for the boat to pull you up then stand with your knees bent.It's just a short period of time to just hang in there but u will pop up. If you shoot out from behind the boat try letting go with your trailing arm, That will square your hips over your feet & you should straighten out. Have fun & don't over think it..Dave.

(Message edited by otown_dave on December 29, 2007)

(Message edited by otown_dave on December 29, 2007)
Old     (owenitall)      Join Date: Jun 2007       12-29-2007, 8:07 PM Reply   
or use shaving cream... but don't try that cooking oil, that sounds way messy.
Old     (nismo)      Join Date: Dec 2007       12-29-2007, 9:59 PM Reply   
thaks for the advice guys... well i just spoke to my dad and he said we might have time to go pik up sme binding lube if not ill either use sun tan or dishwasher detergeant. heres a thing...my stonger foot is my right one i use it for ball handling and kicking etc. but for some reason i feel as if my left foot should be in front.....
Old     (nismo)      Join Date: Dec 2007       12-29-2007, 10:08 PM Reply   
thaks for the advice guys... well i just spoke to my dad and he said we might have time to go pik up sme binding lube if not ill either use sun tan or dishwasher detergeant. heres a thing...my stonger foot is my right one i use it for ball handling and kicking etc. but for some reason i feel as if my left foot should be in front.....
Old     (otown_dave)      Join Date: Dec 2007       12-30-2007, 6:12 AM Reply   
With every first timer that we've pulled ( we try talking everyone to trying) as soon as they go up on the wrong foot or switched, They instantly tried to turn the other direction & usually face plants.
Old     (k9fxr)      Join Date: Jul 2005       12-30-2007, 7:47 AM Reply   
I will add, be positive, but have yourself and your dad prepared for some frustration. It can be hard enough getting up with some knowlegable friends, trying to figure it out yourself is harder.
Watch some videos of getting up and don't look down once you are up. It gets more fun each time you get out.
Hopefully your dad is the patient type
Old     (deltawake)      Join Date: Sep 2004       12-30-2007, 8:12 AM Reply   
Marc- If you don't use binding slime, use a diluted dish soap solution. Don't use oils or suntan stuff. They will break down the rubber in your bindings, and they are more difficult to rinse out.
Foot forward- Do you ride a skateboard? Ride with the same foot forward. If you don't skate, do the following exercise: Stand with feet shoulder width apart. Have someone gently push you from behind. Whichever foot you put forward to stop your fall will be your foot forward for wakeboarding 9 times out of ten.
Getting up- Make sure that your dad is gentle on the throttle. While it's not too cool for the long run, you might want to use gloves. They may enhance your grip, and allow you to hold on longer. Don't try to muscle things. Gently rock forward until you are on top of the water and then stand up and turn the board. Try to watch an instructional video. Read the following instructionals from wakeworld: http://www.wakeworld.com/Articles/2002/GettingUp.asp
http://www.wakeworld.com/articles/2003/wfd.asp
http://www.wakeworld.com/Articles/2001/Basics.asp

HAVE FUN!

Let us know how it goes.
Old     (radikal)      Join Date: Feb 2004       12-30-2007, 10:17 AM Reply   
ahhh i remember the first time it was so cool, it took me 2 days to get up for 10 seconds but it worth every single try !!!!
Old     (nismo)      Join Date: Dec 2007       12-30-2007, 3:47 PM Reply   
just got back guys!! so this is how it went.we got there and went on some little boat to practice. he gave me alot of good tips and stuff and my dad just watched while his friend drove. his friend was a trainer so he was really good at giving tips and stuff. after about 3 pulls and nothing i would just sink back in...my hand was aching of the rope being pulled outta my hands. so we went back into his house on the lake and went back out energetic and with gloves. i went up on the first try. it was such a great felling. even though i was only able to stay up for like 15 seconds it was so much fun.all i need is some more practice. im addicted to wakeboarding!!! only bad thing is that its going to be really cold for the next weeks or so but im going to go every weekend after.

p.s i didn't use any lube. just the saltwater helped but it was still kinda hard to put on the bindings.
Old     (trewblu)      Join Date: Sep 2007       12-30-2007, 6:29 PM Reply   
hey man all I can say is have fun!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old     (flamike)      Join Date: Aug 2007       12-31-2007, 8:33 AM Reply   
good luck im sure youll have a blast.
as for lube we always use shaving cream it cheap and works great.