Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Wakeboarding Discussion

Old     (Bmallory410)      Join Date: Mar 2012       03-25-2012, 6:04 PM Reply   
Ive been wakeboarding off and on for a few years but recently ive decided to pursue it more and get good at it..... my main problem i guess is not getting height and distance off the wake....i feel like im not edging enough and not standing up enough....i feel like when im actually doing it that i am using a progressive edge into the wake and standing tall....here is a video of earlier today... someone help me out please!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ady4X...ature=youtu.be
Old     (joeshmoe)      Join Date: Jan 2003       03-25-2012, 6:18 PM Reply   
Are you wakeboarding behind a jet ski? It's not you, Its the wake!
Old     (Jmaxymek)      Join Date: Feb 2012       03-25-2012, 6:24 PM Reply   
First off, what are you riding behind? It looks like your wake is really low and wide and washy, you want to be a few feet ahead of where it is washing, what is your rope length and speed? You might want to add some weight in the boat. Second, fix your grip. You should have an overhand grip with your knuckles toward the sky. Third, slow you cut down, it looks like you and starting your cut wayyyyy too fast, doing mach 3 the whole way into the wake. Make sure you are edging in smoothly and progressively with bent knees and your chest forwards. make sure your knees are bent the whole way, and explode off of the TOP off the wake, rather than absorbing it and riding over it. Fourth, have a positive attitude! Naming your videos "What not to do" and talking about what your not doing right, be positive and try harder at it!

Last edited by Jmaxymek; 03-25-2012 at 6:26 PM.
Old     (Wiatowski)      Join Date: Aug 2011       03-25-2012, 6:30 PM Reply   
I'll start with your grip first. It looks like your holding the handle like a skier (baseball grip) You should be holding the handle with both palms down to maintain better control, and have a better more relaxed form.

How fast are you going? how long is your rope?

www.learntowake.com is a good site. costs $10/month but totally worh it, check out someof their stuff on youtube.
Old     (Bmallory410)      Join Date: Mar 2012       03-25-2012, 6:38 PM Reply   
We were using a 17' center console....i dont have access to a wakeboarding boat... speed was 20mph and the rope was 60' ... I didnt realize that handle grip made that much of a differance but i will fix that next go around.... @Jmaxymek what did you mean by slow your cut down?.... any tips to help with this?

Thanks guys!
Old     (Bmallory410)      Join Date: Mar 2012       03-25-2012, 6:42 PM Reply   
And I just signed up for learnwake.com
Old     (Jmaxymek)      Join Date: Feb 2012       03-25-2012, 6:52 PM Reply   
It seemed as if you were coming off of your heels too fast. It might have just been the chop, but it looks like you were almost jumping into your cut. Make sure you are far enough out from the wake, and and beginning your cut calmly and in control. Then keep edging progressively (you mentioned progressive edge in your OP so I assume you understand the concept) and pop off the wake, don't absorb it.
Old     (cwb4me)      Join Date: Apr 2010       03-25-2012, 6:53 PM Reply   
You need to work on body position and technique standing tall at the wake.The wake is big enough,but the water was rough and you were turning at times.Learnwake will help you out.
Old     (Wiatowski)      Join Date: Aug 2011       03-25-2012, 6:58 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by cwb4me View Post
You need to work on body position and technique standing tall at the wake.The wake is big enough,but the water was rough and you were turning at times.Learnwake will help you out.
Totally agree.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kb04CTPbcdk

I do this drill every time I board.
Old     (Bmallory410)      Join Date: Mar 2012       03-25-2012, 7:12 PM Reply   
thanks for all the help.... i watch videos on youtube about standing tall and progressive edging and then i get out there and its almost like everything ive learned goes out the window.... its been pretty discouraging but ill get it.... thanks again guys!
Old     (lostkgb78)      Join Date: Oct 2005       03-26-2012, 7:30 PM Reply   
1) Shorten your rope a bit.. As you get better you can let it back out.
2) Start your cut (gradually) further out.
3) Lead with your front shoulder and keep rope at hips, chest up (worry about style later)
4) Tell your driver to drive in straight line
5) Work on that progressive edging.. Your maximum edge (tension) should be at wake and not before.

Going off of memory so take it for what it's worth.

good luck
Old     (johndk)      Join Date: Aug 2008       03-26-2012, 9:04 PM Reply   
I'm not much of one to teach people anything other than getting up, but if I were you I would not be trying to clear the wake at this point. I'd just start a few feet away from the wake and work on getting air without trying to cross the wake in the air at all - just work on height, not distance. In your video your knees are *very* bent when you hit the wake, which is exactly what to do when you do NOT want to get any air. Try just starting barely outside the wake, and completely straighten your legs as you hit the top of the wake. That should pop you up pretty good... then you can start thinking more about crossing the wake in the air (after you shorten the rope).
Old     (VinnyA)      Join Date: Aug 2011       03-26-2012, 9:07 PM Reply   
shorten your rope up ! i ride behind a not optimal boat too and its not worth it to try to lengthen the rope out, just stay where your wake is best. FOr me its about 65 feet back behind my boat, after that you can worrry about technique but until then try this and see how it affects your ride
Old     (Bmallory410)      Join Date: Mar 2012       03-26-2012, 9:11 PM Reply   
yeah the rope was at 60' i took off the other 3 sections....maybe i can shorten it up to around 50 next time
Old     (Wiatowski)      Join Date: Aug 2011       03-26-2012, 10:18 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by johndk View Post
I'm not much of one to teach people anything other than getting up, but if I were you I would not be trying to clear the wake at this point. I'd just start a few feet away from the wake and work on getting air without trying to cross the wake in the air at all - just work on height, not distance. In your video your knees are *very* bent when you hit the wake, which is exactly what to do when you do NOT want to get any air. Try just starting barely outside the wake, and completely straighten your legs as you hit the top of the wake. That should pop you up pretty good... then you can start thinking more about crossing the wake in the air (after you shorten the rope).
good suggestion... one way I got use to the standing tall motion was to edge toward the wake standing up the whole way and through the wake. an interesting way to feel the board pop.

cut out 5' from the wake and edge through it standing tall.
Old     (Bmallory410)      Join Date: Mar 2012       04-01-2012, 7:25 AM Reply   
this is a video from yesterday....at this point we've been out there for 6 hours so i was beat but im still doing it wrong

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IXdoM...2fAUAAAAAAAAAA
Old     (07LSV)      Join Date: Mar 2012       04-01-2012, 7:32 AM Reply   
Looks like you're absorbing the already small wake with your legs. Stiffin up a tad when you come up to it....you should get a bit more pop. I also struggle with this from time to time
Old     (Bmallory410)      Join Date: Mar 2012       04-01-2012, 7:50 AM Reply   
earlier in the day we were riding behind a moomba mobius and i could def feel it was easier to stiffen up and get a pop off the wake...but of course i dont have video of that
Old     (ferral)      Join Date: Sep 2007       04-01-2012, 8:21 AM Reply   
That second video is a lot better than your first. The cut looked much slower and more controlled. The biggest problem I see is your knees at the wake. Your knees are so bent they just act like shock absorbers at the wake so you get very little pop. I had this same problem when I was learning and I know it can be a tough habit to break. Just remember you want your legs almost straight at the top of the wake and you will launch. When you get it right, you will know because you will feel the extra pop. If you have to ask someone watching, you didn't do it . Also, don't blame the boat. Bad form is bad form no matter what you ride behind. You probably felt better on the Moomba because it had a better wake that naturally sent you higher, but I'd bet your knees we're just as bent. Wait till you see what that Moomba feels like after you fix your pop! Don't get discouraged, keep at it, and focus on the timing of your pop. Once you get passed this, many more possibilities open up to you.
Old     (ryanw209)      Join Date: Jan 2010       04-01-2012, 10:47 AM Reply   
Joining learnwake is the best step forward for your riding. My guess is Kyle will tell you to do a "dead sailor" to get you to break the habit of absorbing the wake. To do this come in with your knees bent and as you stand tall at the wake keep your legs and body straight as you fly through the air. DO NOT suck your knees up to your chest in mid air. So as you leave the lip of the wake you should be standing perfectly vertical with your knees fully straight and stay that way until you land. I hope that makes sense....
Old     (cwb4me)      Join Date: Apr 2010       04-01-2012, 5:03 PM Reply   
You are still absorbing the wake and trying to jump after takeoff.If you have ever jumped on a trampoline or diving board the straight stiff body gives you the best results.The same is true for wake boarding .You should concentrate on tightening your Quads,Glutes and pushing your chest to the sky while keeping the handle low and near your lead hip.Tightening your Quads will straighten your knees.Tightening your Glutes will push your hips forward and pushing your chest up to the sky will complete the standing at attention launching technique to get you across the wakes.Good Luck!
Old     (bigboarder21)      Join Date: Jan 2012       04-01-2012, 5:18 PM Reply   
I would like to thank you Brandon for posing this question. I have learned more about wakeboarding and jumping by reading all these then i ever have by watching videos or listening to my friends.