Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Wakeboarding Discussion Archives > Archive through May 05, 2004

Old    boardfox            03-30-2004, 8:48 PM Reply   
man i have not had my boat for over 6 months and i have already broke my wedge. the bolts that hold the wedge plate to the shaft sheered off and then it just got bent to hell. oh well at least its under warranty.
Old     (tommyc)      Join Date: Nov 2003       03-30-2004, 9:54 PM Reply   
I have had the same problem twice. I think it is because I hit something. The warrenty covers it. No worries.
Old     (dakid)      Join Date: Feb 2001       03-30-2004, 10:01 PM Reply   
You're not alone. My friend broke his 4th wedge this past weekend.

I'll let my Malibu contact know of my friend's problem and send the link to this thread as well.
Old    boardfox            03-30-2004, 10:45 PM Reply   
Yeah i know i didnt hit anything because there isnt a scratch on my wedge, prop, or tracking fins so it must be a defect. After thinking about it i am glad it broke rather than having any hull damage
Old     (dakid)      Join Date: Feb 2001       03-30-2004, 11:07 PM Reply   
This is from the Customer Service Manager for Malibu.

Yes the Wedge did have a breaking issue at the beginning of the summer last year. Fortunately since the introduction of the Wedge in 1998 we have had very few issues with the Wedge and its use. As a matter of fact we are extremely happy with the results and will continue using it for quite some time due to its documented effectiveness. Unfortunately due to some parts that were incorrectly manufactured from a vendor we use caused all these problems. However the problem was found, and most people have been taken care of as far as I know. We have a lot of guys like you that are trying to get people either to their local dealer or us to insure they understand what the situation really was.

In any regards, this is short and simple of it:
The Wedge foil and bracket assembly are manufactured by Malibu directly in-house. The legs and screws are vendor supplied, with the design of the brass leg coming from us. The issue was primarily with the brass leg, and not the screw(s) as many of the web threads tried to imply, although that is the part that was physically breaking. What happened, and was not known to us until well into the season, was the brass leg coming from our vendor was drilling and tapping the holes for the attachment of the Wedge Foil plate to the legs. We were using a 1" grade 5 screw to attach the foil. The spec on the leg to be drilled and tapped was one inch. The holes were being drilled to the 1" spec, and then tapped. Unfortunately the excess brass was falling to the bottom of the hole and shortening the necessary hole depth. The parts would be returned to us for assembly. Our guys would assemble the parts to include the foil to the leg torqueing the screws down to 95 inch pounds of torque. What was not known was that there was a very small gap between the foil and leg. This is where the problem started. The Wedge would be deployed, and water begins running across the foil plate and between the gap that was left. This caused undue stress to the screws, which would eventually fatigue, and break. First the left front screw would break, then the rear. Most people would catch the missing front screw, and have their dealer replace. Unfortunately this only prolonged the real problem, which was shallow hole. Once we found this problem and corrected it, we haven't seen any recurring problems. If a customer has this issue with their Wedge they can contact their local dealer, and they will make any necessary correction.
Old    swass            03-31-2004, 5:23 AM Reply   
ENSURE!!!!!!!!
Old     (john)      Join Date: Apr 2002       03-31-2004, 9:09 AM Reply   
Wonder if my boat ensurance would cover the wedge damage??
Old     (coboarder)      Join Date: Apr 2002       03-31-2004, 9:23 AM Reply   
It is dissapointing when a company tries to point the finger at someone else. Step up and take responsibility. Malibu hired the vendor. Inspect what you expect. You are only as good as your people.
Old    deltahoosier            03-31-2004, 9:29 AM Reply   
It is not about placing blame, they are going through the fact finding mission and then the problem sovling. Facts are facts. I would rather see facts of how it happened and what was done rather than just take our word for it type of response. I have had an issue with Malibu on one thing, but, they do take care of the wedge issue pretty well.
Old     (dakid)      Join Date: Feb 2001       03-31-2004, 9:35 AM Reply   
Would you rather the company explain what the problem is, or deny the problem?

Be happy that customers are getting a response.
Old     (supersport)      Join Date: Dec 2001       03-31-2004, 9:43 AM Reply   
You tech writers are too anal....
Old     (coboarder)      Join Date: Apr 2002       03-31-2004, 9:51 AM Reply   
I would rather they explain what the problem is, like they did, but then directly accept responsibility for it. That statement you quoted just has a little too much side stepping in it.
Old     (jarrod)      Join Date: May 2003       03-31-2004, 10:00 AM Reply   
Malibu engineered it. That's what it all comes down to.
Old    samcdog            03-31-2004, 2:46 PM Reply   
I would assume the vendor was given a blue print detailing how to make the part. Malibu specified the hole dimensions on the print, but the vendor sent a non-conforming part. The vendor is to blame. Both parties should have found it, but didn't.
Old    samcdog            03-31-2004, 2:49 PM Reply   
Personally I like the way Malibu handled it. They didn't lie or cover it up, but explained and corrected. They probably could have left out the fact that it was a supplier's part.
Old     (hyperlitenrd)      Join Date: Jan 2003       03-31-2004, 3:38 PM Reply   
I also like the way Malibu handled it, the way I think of it, is that they are pushing the limits of wakeboard boats. You have other companies that dont even change thier hull shapes, malibu changed the LSV hull this year. What im trying to say is that im glad they are pushing the limits.
Old     (rock_n_boardin)      Join Date: May 2003       03-31-2004, 4:40 PM Reply   
How about a recall of boats that might have been affected? Sounds like David found out about it the hard way. Wonder how many people out there are going to find out about the problem the same way?
Old     (wake_upppp)      Join Date: Nov 2003       03-31-2004, 5:10 PM Reply   
Well according to you JOE UMALI, this is not an issue any more with the "new" wedge's. So it looks like I was right and you were WRONG thank you very much.
Old     (colorider)      Join Date: Jun 2001       03-31-2004, 8:16 PM Reply   
Long story short, Malibu knows of a problem and has obviously not fixed it if it is still happening. I am sure the "new" wedge is on the 2004 models and it DID break on Davids boat so it is still an issue. Malibu should not be putting a defective part on their boats. The salesman should say "This is the wedge feature. It is going to break on you, so when it does just bring the boat back. Hopefully the wedge does not tear off part of your fiberglass or damage the hull in any way." I also know many malibu owners who have had no issues with their wedge, new or old. If I owned a BU and had a wedge break, I would be very dissapointed with them for knowing of the problem and selling me the boat anyway.
Old    boardfox            03-31-2004, 11:05 PM Reply   
Well i went to my dealer and they supplied me with a new wedge on the spot. I was very satisfied with them. I walked in the store with a broken wedge and 5 min later i walked out with a brand new one. I am glad malibu acknowleges the problem but i will tell you what as soon as my warranty runs out i am going to weld the plate tho the shaft. In my opinion malibu should have done this in the first place.
Old     (dakid)      Join Date: Feb 2001       03-31-2004, 11:22 PM Reply   
Whoa, Sparky...have a rough night?
Old     (aneal000)      Join Date: Feb 2002       04-01-2004, 6:45 AM Reply   
Posts like this are one of the main reasons I have almost completely quit visiting this site...

You get brand x owner bashing brand y and it never ends. It's no fun to read your biased opinions.
Old    norcal_99            04-01-2004, 9:04 AM Reply   
For those of you that did break a wedge, did it happen going straight or in a turn?

Old    wuneyewilly            04-01-2004, 12:46 PM Reply   
I really like the VLX's and have considered migrating. I am glad when companies publicly admit their flaws, but from Joe's post of Malibu's response... "introduction of the Wedge in 1998 we have had very few issues with the Wedge and its use"...this was 6 years ago. They still dont have it right? Why would 2004s still be breaking w/o an impact to an object? They'll admit an issue, but not resolve it?
Old    ag4ever            04-01-2004, 2:48 PM Reply   
Sound like they have had an isolated instance of part problems (running aground aside). They did a great job of detailing the problem. (Who would have belived them if they has left out the part of it being a vendor supplied part, and would that have lead you to believe they could not even machine their own parts correctly?) I think the wedge is a good device when used properly, with care and with the knowledge of what CAN happen. I am sure there were some parts that lingered after they discovered what the problem was. the best thing to do is remove the screws, and see how deep your holes are threaded. If they are short demand a replacement part BEFORE it fails.

I have said it before, and will say it again, as a CC owner, I really like the bu!
Old     (wake_upppp)      Join Date: Nov 2003       04-01-2004, 5:35 PM Reply   
Sorry Joe, but no I had a great nite. Just get tired of people like yourself spouting off when they don't know what they're talking about! Remember the thread on wakeboarder a while back? Joe wrote: "This issue was taken care of a few months ago, it's not an issue with the new wedge's". Uh-huh, yeah right.
Old     (dakid)      Join Date: Feb 2001       04-01-2004, 5:36 PM Reply   
Dude, I'd hate to see you when you do have a bad day. Settle down.

Yes, I do remember. And they ARE taking care of the issues.
Old     (wake_upppp)      Join Date: Nov 2003       04-01-2004, 5:56 PM Reply   
I am settled down. I know they are taking care of it. All I'm sayin is stick to what you KNOW and it'll all be fine. It works for me.
Old     (dakid)      Join Date: Feb 2001       04-01-2004, 7:11 PM Reply   
I did stick to what I KNOW. They're aware of the problem, they're taking care of it.
Old     (wake_upppp)      Join Date: Nov 2003       04-01-2004, 7:18 PM Reply   
This time you did. I'm refering to the wakeboarder thread. You know the one you were WRONG about. Do you have a hard time admitting ur wrong?
Old     (dakid)      Join Date: Feb 2001       04-01-2004, 7:24 PM Reply   
Good God dude, get over it. I said in the other thread that they're taking care of it...same as in this thread. Why are you so obsessed w/ this anyway? Just go to your dealer or Malibu...they'll tell you the same thing I've been saying.
Old     (wake_upppp)      Join Date: Nov 2003       04-01-2004, 7:37 PM Reply   
Maybe you should go re-read the other thread. Ur memory ain't so good.
Old     (scott_a)      Join Date: Dec 2002       04-01-2004, 8:11 PM Reply   
Sparky Jay: dude, let it go. Nobody cares except you.

Rene: I was actually riding when the wedge broke on Joe's friend's VLX. I didn't really notice anything too different (then again I wasn't exactly looking for something that was wrong)...Joe's friend just stopped the boat randomly and they looked at the wedge, started the boat back up, went a little farther, stopped, pulled up the wedge and when the boat started up again I saw that it was all messed up...Joe did mention that there was a change in the whitewash directly behind the boat and also a hum or something, but I'm sure he could explain that better than I could so I'll leave that to him...
Old     (pierce_bronkite)      Join Date: Jul 2003       04-01-2004, 8:13 PM Reply   
Joe, do you work in the industry? I have seen posts in the past that sounds like you do stuff to promote/help the sport. Just curious.

(Message edited by Pierce Bronkite on April 01, 2004)
Old     (wake_upppp)      Join Date: Nov 2003       04-01-2004, 8:25 PM Reply   
Scott, who asked you? Here you go Joe, maybe this will help your memory.http://forums.wakeboarder.com/viewtopic.php?t=17953&highlight=
Old     (dakid)      Join Date: Feb 2001       04-01-2004, 8:38 PM Reply   
Rene, we were going straight when Scott was riding, and it was fine. Once we made a slight left turn, the boat made a deep, whining noise. We stopped the boat and revved it, and it sounded fine. We picked Scott back up, and it made the noise again. I said, "uh, did we just jack up your Wedge?" My friend checked and sure enough, the Wedge was jacked.

Pierce, I'm friends with a lot of people in the industry, but I'm not in it by any means. I just push products I believe in, such as DoubleUP, Blindside, Hardline, Malibu, Super Air, X-2 and Newt Juice. I did push Hyperlite when I liked their products, as well as Serum, BadAss, Core and CWB.
Old     (scott_a)      Join Date: Dec 2002       04-01-2004, 8:39 PM Reply   
umm Sparky Jay (wake uppp) = Wake upPp from wakeboarder.com?

Take the tree trunk out of your ass. What you are doing is entirely unnecessary. Joe was relaying information that he had heard straight from Malibu to the rest of the posters on the thread. His wording was a bit off so you may have misunderstood what he was trying to say, nonetheless he was trying to help, just as he is now, and you are only being an ...
Old     (wake_upppp)      Join Date: Nov 2003       04-01-2004, 8:47 PM Reply   
Scott can you get ur head any farther up Joe's butt? See anything interesting up there?
Old    norcal_99            04-02-2004, 5:59 AM Reply   
Thanks Joe and Scott for the info. The reason I ask is...I often think about selling my 2002 X-Star and getting a 2004, but then I think what's the point. My boat's wake is still much better than my ability. If I do sell, I'm not sure which model I'll get yet, but it will most likely be the Malibu VLX or the new X-Star. I'm not a big fan of Correct Craft SAN even though I think they make an outstanding boat.
Old     (jarrod)      Join Date: May 2003       04-02-2004, 7:20 AM Reply   
The guy I ride with is so scared that The Wedge is going to break and/or cause major damage that we haven't used it in two years. Ours is a 2001 (before they redesigned).

Rene: how many hours you got now?
Old     (airbesar)      Join Date: Mar 2002       04-02-2004, 9:12 AM Reply   
I have a 2000 Escape with a wedge. We've only had problems when we hit something. And in my experience, it's a fact of life that when you boat on the river, sooner or later you hit something. We had to replace the wedge only once from hitting a snag. But other hits have caused the wedge to be slightly out of kilter so it's harder to lock it up or down. Otherwise we like being able to so easily add and take off the larger wake, although we still use sacs.

My understanding is that the wedge failures (which occur without hitting something) are a problem with the redesigned newer wedges. I can't remember which year Malibu started using them. The redesign was intended to improve the shape of the wake when the wedge was down. The one or two times I've ridden behind Joe's friend's boat, I thought the shape was better, but his is a VLX, which I think has a better shaped wake than the 23 foot Malibu anyway. YMMV

Joe, I thought the most recent replacement wedge he got was supposed to have had the flaw fixed?
Old     (dakid)      Join Date: Feb 2001       04-02-2004, 12:51 PM Reply   
Air Besar, that's what I was told. I'm going to contact the Malibu guy to see what's up. I'll keep you guys posted.
Old    deltahoosier            04-02-2004, 10:40 PM Reply   
The two times it did it on my boat was if we turned sharp. That was before the supposed fix. So far so good for me. I would have to say, keep the sharp turns to a minimum and do not run at speeds faster than boarding speeds with it down. Actually, I wish all people had a wedge, that way know one would power turn.
Old    cdubs            04-03-2004, 8:43 AM Reply   
Rene whats up man. Long time no talk. Common dude you shouldnt even have to question your malibu situation. Im getting rid of my 03 pretty soon here if your interested at all.
Old     (flapjack)      Join Date: Feb 2010       04-03-2004, 3:25 PM Reply   
Seems like all you guys have a common problem...THE WRONG BOATS. Just sold my 01' Wakesetter and will never go back.Malibu will one day follow function rather than form(nice billet trim....unsafe boats with the wedge).Redesign the hull and do away with the wedge and everyone will be happy.
Old    cdubs            04-03-2004, 6:06 PM Reply   
Grant sorry you didnt like your wakesetter. There is absolutely no need though to redesign the hull. If you know how to weight a boat the right way youd trip on the wake the vlx throws. i myself dont use the wedge cuz i prefer a huge rampy wake. Being a competitive rider i know most the boys and one on one behind the scene theyll ride the malibu wake over thier own free ride. If you want the best malibu wake how the alot of the boys i ride with put 4000 lbs in the boat including the front mls, weight dead even maybe a hair nose heavy but barely nothing then once the boat finally makes it to speed hit the fill switches on the rear mls. when the rider falls hit drain and thier drained enough to get to speed again when its time. i know this isnt the normal way to ride but im just saying how most the guys ride.
Old     (thane_dogg)      Join Date: Jun 2002       04-03-2004, 6:09 PM Reply   
cdubs - are you serious bro? C-stack said that he rode with you a couple weeks ago and that your wake was just crazy. From what you described I'd probably kill myself behind your boat, but damn, what a way to go. "double-up please?"
Old     (bwood)      Join Date: Jul 2003       04-04-2004, 9:28 AM Reply   
Nice riding in Delta sessions Chris. How much weight did you have in that VLX?

(Message edited by bwood on April 04, 2004)
Old    boardfox            04-04-2004, 9:48 AM Reply   
Hey Chris this is dave from high school. Hey sorry about bailing on you over thanksgiving weekend but i got the death flu and was not able to take my boat out. Here is a question for you though is it safe to fill your stock ballast when running or do you run the chance of burning up your pump?
Old     (derrick_lenz)      Join Date: Feb 2003       04-04-2004, 1:49 PM Reply   
i love malibu. back in high school a buddy of mine had a 2000 wakesetter. that thing was a beast. one day after school we had 17 people and about 1500-2000 lbs in the boat. took ahile to plane out but damn the wake was big.
Old    wakeboardjo            04-04-2004, 8:54 PM Reply   
Just trying to clarify, isn't the main problem with the wedge the screws breaking off? If this is the case then there really should be no real danger to the hull from a defective wedge, worse case scenario would be the wedge falls off right?
Old    cdubs            04-04-2004, 10:52 PM Reply   
hey woody thanx man. i dont even think i rode a vlx in that vid. just to throw it up in the air that vid doesnt express my riding. im gonna throw together a promo vid soon here and ill post some of it up so you can see how i really ride. youll see some good stuff in outkast 2 and westside riot and if theres gonna be a delta sessions 2. oh yeah dave we just fill up the ballest while were driving. it actually fills alot faster. as long as waters going through that pump it wont burn out.