Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles

Old     (widnejr)      Join Date: Jul 2009       06-03-2010, 8:48 AM Reply   
Need some help here,

For the past 2 months I have been trying to troubleshoot what has been going on with my 2002 Supra 22SSV. It gets out of the hole fine and runs like a champ for about 1-2 minutes then it shuts down (not off) and will only run at idle speed. If you let it idle for 20-30 seconds or turn the key off and restart it, then the process starts all over. Below is a list of things that I have changed.

Spark Plugs & Wires
Distributer Cap
Fuel Filter
Impeller
Low Pressure Fuel Pump
Thermostat

I ran a fuel pressure test and it never lost pressure. A couple days ago I took it out and unplugged one of the sensors (not sure which one but I think it was the temp sensor that goes to the computer) and it didn't shut down but according to the temp gauge it was running around 220 degrees. This got me thinking that I had either a bad sensor, thermostat, or impeller was bad. Yesterday we took it out after changing the impeller and it did the same exact thing, so I changed out the thermostat and took it back out and I had to shut it down because the temp gauge was reeding around 240 degrees but it never shut down. It usually always shuts down around 200. I am going to check the thermostat today to see if I may have put it in upside down and I was also told to check the transmission cooler for trash.

Does anyone else have any ideas????

Its hard to get a good run in 2 minutes at a time.
Old     (03suprassv)      Join Date: Jan 2009       06-03-2010, 8:53 AM Reply   
I know it sucks to have to do this but if you have a dealer close you could have them hook up the computer to it and get the codes. they would probably charge you an hours labor.
Old     (acurtis_ttu)      Join Date: May 2004       06-03-2010, 9:57 AM Reply   
220 is way to hot, you should be running at 160-180 max. Your sensor sounds fine and is puttig your boat into limp mode b/c of potential engine damage caused by overheating. maybe the main water pump? or some sort of blockage???? what di dthe old impeller look like? if anything pieces were missing they can get stuck.

My dealer charges zero to hook up the computer and show codes. FYI. it literally takes 5 min.
Old     (widnejr)      Join Date: Jul 2009       06-03-2010, 11:31 AM Reply   
The old impeller still had all of the teeth on it but they were pretty bent up.
Old     (chas)      Join Date: Feb 2002       06-03-2010, 11:47 AM Reply   
get under the dash and make sure you have a good ground and power hook up to your power bar. Mine got loose and threw the boat for a loop.
Old     (matts0246)      Join Date: Mar 2010       06-03-2010, 4:46 PM Reply   
my 01 supra was kinda doing the same thing it would take off fine and within 5 to 10 mins it would start cutting out, let it set a min and it would take off for a few min and do it again,did the fuel pressure test while it was cutting out, pressure was fine, replaced the iginition module and its ran fine since then.
Old     (widnejr)      Join Date: Jul 2009       06-04-2010, 7:11 AM Reply   
I am happy to say that my Supra is running like a champ again. I called a local dealer to see what they would charge to read me the computer codes; he told me before I bring it in to check the transmission cooler for trash. I took the top of the transmission cooler off and it was scary clean, as I was putting the top back on I dropped my wrench and while I was fishing it out I noticed an inline filter before the transmission cooler (I was told by supra that it didn't have an inline filter) anyways I hit the jack pot because, It was so clogged that I don't see how anything was making it through it. Here is a pic and this is after I shook all the loose stuff out.

Thanks for all the help everyone.
Attached Images

Old     (olmoomba)      Join Date: Apr 2010       06-04-2010, 11:00 AM Reply   
WOW! Good find!

I got major stuck in some silty sand/clay/mud and sucked up a bunch of gunk. After getting towed back and replacing the impellar, I got to cleaning out the entire system and pulled sand out of every cooler/exchanger I have. Fortunately I have closed loop cooling so all the garbage was self contained.

BTW - that looks like your transmission cooler not inline filter. If you took the top off a drum like thing, there is also a bottom that can be removed and you might want to check that also. The drum like thing is also a heat exchanger.
Old     (liveoz)      Join Date: May 2002       06-04-2010, 5:36 PM Reply   
Yep, that is your transmission cooler. You will always find debris if there is any in the same spot as your pic. I remove the hose from mine and clean out milfoil about once every 4 trips. It only takes 1 minute and i always pull out a bit of weeds. I never overheat, so yours must have been pretty bad.
Old     (cinder1995)      Join Date: Aug 2002       06-05-2010, 12:07 PM Reply   
Yep, that thing gets clogged up extremely easy. Anytime I get too shallow or go through weeds I always have to clean that out. After a few times of doing it you'll realize that you only need to pull the hose off the side in the pic and pull out the junk, rather than taking the whole thing off.