Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles

Old     (watersun)      Join Date: Jun 2009       02-19-2010, 11:02 AM Reply   
This will probably start a war, but what good sounding tower speaker out there has the lowest profile when mounted on the tower? I have a 2008 SAN 210 with the titan tower and it sits kind of low. And no, I don't want to mount them above the tower as I'm not a big fan of that look. Also, when I say good sounding, I mean I want them to be clear riding at 80'+...I'm not so concerned about the sound inside the boat.

I've heard of NVS, Wetsounds and Exile. Which of these have the lowest profile? Are there any other brands out there you would recommend? Thanks a lot!
Old     (liljohn)      Join Date: May 2007       02-19-2010, 11:15 AM Reply   
Bullets!
Old     (liquidmx)      Join Date: Jun 2005       02-19-2010, 12:02 PM Reply   
I think one of the NVS versions is a 10" speaker with like an 8" footprint or something. Where the housing literally wraps around the tower mounting point. I think its the Modus and Prodigy.
Old     (chpthril)      Join Date: Oct 2007       02-19-2010, 12:57 PM Reply   
The New Kicker KM6500.2 are a 4-can setup that will fit most enclosures that accept a 6.5 speaker.

http://www.kicker.com/km65002

I'm hoping they will be shipping in the next few weeks.
Old     (duffymahoney)      Join Date: Sep 2008       02-19-2010, 1:00 PM Reply   
You can always mount them on top of the tower.
Old     (brianinpdx)      Join Date: Aug 2009       02-19-2010, 1:14 PM Reply   
JKW - no, this thread shouldn't start a war. Your asking for pretty straight forward information. On the Titan tower, you'd use our universal clamp and the total hang height is just under 9 inches and you can spin the speakers (literally)in 360 degrees and have a 100% pass through audio connection - no flying wires of any kind.

For guys that can go with our direct fit clamp, it chops the hang height down to 7.1 inches. Just to be clear, that would not work on your tower setup.

Have a good weekend,

-Brian
Exile Audio
Old     (polarbill)      Join Date: Jun 2003       02-19-2010, 1:25 PM Reply   
Here is what M-Dizzle was talking about. 8.6" hang from a true 10" speaker.

http://www.nvs1.net/prodigy.html

http://www.nvs1.net/modus.html

http://www.nvs1.net/deviant.html
Old     (david_e_m)      Join Date: Jul 2008       02-19-2010, 3:26 PM Reply   
JKW,

If minimum hang height is your primary goal, the Bullet HollowPoint 770 HLCD has a maximum hang height of only 8 3/4". And, you'll get a 7.7-inch midbass driver which means good midbass, in this low profile package. Typcially the hang height of 6 1/2-inch HLCDs is around 9 1/2" with a universal collar on a 1 7/8" thick tower.

The NVS is truely a shallow mount too.

Keep in mind that the power requirements of a 10" NVS is going to be completely different than those of a smaller driver. So, don't select a speaker without considering this also. The midbass on a Prodigy will crack you like a whip (and that's a good thing) but they want 500 watts a side to reach their potential. Just make an informed decision.

David
Earmark Marine
Old     (mikeski)      Join Date: Aug 2003       02-19-2010, 11:30 PM Reply   
might want to look into the 6x9s that wetsounds are coming out with in April?