Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Wakeboarding Discussion Archives > Archive through January 05, 2009

Old     (kasumi)      Join Date: May 2007       01-01-2009, 12:26 PM Reply   
I do not know where in I got this idea "I want to learn to wakeboard" came from but it started about a year ago as a simple thought. Last week I went to Ski Rixen and chickened out.

Today I went to McCormicks signed the waiver, handed $32 for the 1hr and rental then went for it. As soon as I popped up I fell and that was that. My fascination for wakeboarding died as a floated in the middle of the lake.

I knew I was suppose to simply flip over and swim back when I attempted to do so I kinda freaked, my brain shut down and I panicked. The guy then brought the rope back which I grabbed onto and came back ashore. Quickly, I popped myself out of the board and handing everything back then left.

Today was indeed an epic failure. Even though I was only there for a mere second I cannot say I wasted my money because I would still have the urge.
Old     (joe_crawley)      Join Date: Jan 2007       01-01-2009, 12:30 PM Reply   
Don't worry about it Andy, happens to lots of first timers. If you get a chance, get used to having the board and vest on in a pool or lake without the pressure of having to ride it- you'll get used to the flotation of the board, how to flip over, etc. Then you can take it to the park or boat and just worry about learning to stand sideways. Good luck, keep trying, don't give up and live to regret this because of your first time out
Old     (luke_j)      Join Date: Jul 2008       01-01-2009, 1:36 PM Reply   
that's a sad story. rich and compelling though.

WTF?
Old     (fullspeed)      Join Date: Oct 2005 Location: Santa Cruz County CA       01-01-2009, 1:46 PM Reply   
Andy your killing me. .... Get back on that horse and ride it. This sounds like a story my little girls WOULD of told if I didn't push them to try it again. Now they can't get enough wakeboarding. You can't quit that easy.

Take a lesson first next time and get use to the feel of the board, water and then if it doesn't work out for you then you could say you gave it a real chance.
Old     (kasumi)      Join Date: May 2007       01-01-2009, 2:06 PM Reply   
Gangstar-that is great advice for a beginner!

Luke- sorry I just feel like venting. I have been a long time lurker on this forum and posted a couple times about learning to ride. I guess this would be an update.

Brannon- I am contemplating it but I don't know. For now I am waving the white flag.

People constantly say it's similar to snowboarding. To me it is nothing like it.

EDIT: Quick question how are you suppose to start from cable? The guy had me in a sitting position but looking at some videos they are standing and then jump off of the dock.

(Message edited by kasumi on January 01, 2009)

(Message edited by kasumi on January 01, 2009)
Old     (homedawg678)      Join Date: Jan 2007       01-01-2009, 2:55 PM Reply   
Try going behind a boat if possible man. I rode cable for the first time the other day and I was extremely intimidated as well. I even fell off the start. I have been wakeboarding though for 4 or 5 years. Don't give up though.
Old     (n00b)      Join Date: Mar 2006       01-01-2009, 2:55 PM Reply   
Hey Andy, don't give up that easily, starting at a cable is no easy accomplishment.
Particularly if you've never wakeboarded before.
Gangstar has some good tips to get you used to the board and the water.
Maybe try to get up behind a boat, it's easier behind a boat imho.
Also try a bigger board to get up first time.

Keep trying though you'll love it once you get moving.
Old     (kasumi)      Join Date: May 2007       01-01-2009, 3:20 PM Reply   
Where would be a great place for an absolute beginner to learn in the Tampa-Orlando area?
Old    wiz            01-01-2009, 3:44 PM Reply   
give the guys at the boarding school a shout. shaun & travis are super cool & laid back. absolutely no pressure & you'll be laughing so hard you'll forget all about being scared.
Old     (misteve)      Join Date: Aug 2007       01-01-2009, 3:46 PM Reply   
It sure seems like learning on a cable would be a hell of a lot harder than learning behind a boat.

Andy, if you don't know anyone to go out with in you area, put a post in the "Find a Third, be a Third" section. I'm sure there's a WW'er that would not wanna see you quit and give you a pull and a little coaching...
Old     (dohboy)      Join Date: Aug 2007       01-01-2009, 4:03 PM Reply   
I've never been to a cable park but I would think that behind a boat would be less intimidating. Before paying for a school try to find someone like in the find or be a third forum on this site. Find someone in your area and tag along and give it another shot when your comfortable. I know my wife watched until she felt assured she wasn't going to get hurt.
Old     (waterdork88)      Join Date: Aug 2005       01-01-2009, 4:14 PM Reply   
andy, listen to the guy that was giving you instructions. sitting is easier to start, when you get better you'll be able to jump of the dock.

the cable is really not hard to get up on, a boat is just easier to get up on
Old     (benjaminp)      Join Date: Nov 2008       01-01-2009, 4:20 PM Reply   
Yeah, if you were hoping to get any support for your decision, you picked the wrong place to look for it. Nobody here wants to see you quit, its just way too mich fun. I second the post in the find a third/be a third. You should be able to find someone in the area, and probably be able to get a cheap lesson (gas money). JUST DONT GIVE UP!!!!!!
Old     (helix_rider)      Join Date: Mar 2003       01-01-2009, 4:49 PM Reply   
It's Jan 1. Can you think of a better New Year's Resolution than "This year, I'm going to learn to wakeboard!"?

Heck, if no one in Florida will help you out and you pass through the Chattanooga area, I'll definitely get you out on the water and up and riding in an afternoon, easily.

Stick with it man, you just need a little help to get started like almost every single one of us on here. I hated it the first time I tried, but my wife kept wanting to go and now I would consider it my #1 hobby (over snowboarding, MX, mountain biking, longboarding, you name it)...you will get addicted in no time, especially living so close to the cable parks...just give it a little time and don't get down on yourself.
Old     (colombiansurfer)      Join Date: Sep 2008       01-01-2009, 5:03 PM Reply   
Andy, look your so called failure is nothing! Trust me, it is a mind thing. My first time in the water behind a boat on the start it yanked me out of my binding and the board fin found it's way deep in the back of my skull! After a couple of days in the hospital, enough staples in my head to fill a desk stapler, and my pride washed down the drain, I got back out there. Listen to these people because every one or most every one has been where you are right now. Take it one step at a time, and here is the huge thing.... Ask for help. Ask for advice. We in the sport want to promote it to others like yourself and have fun. No one is going to make fun of you if you can't get up on the first 100 trys. It took my wife almost all summer to just get up, so be patient and have fun with it. And like Jimmy V, "Never, Never give up"
Old     (bftskir)      Join Date: Jan 2004       01-01-2009, 7:26 PM Reply   
Pootie, don't tell that story again!

Andy, Do you still WANT to do it?
if you really WANT to do it you CAN do it.

You mention snowboarding and if you CAN do that you CAN do this! you'll do it.

Get someone with a boat and a boom and you will get right up, its a super easy way to learn.

you'll have to cut and paste this one...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I8gMjzWVPrs&feature=channel

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vdeBWB2GdBY&feature=channel_page

Good Luck, DO IT!

If you no longer WANT to do it, then you won't be able to.

(Message edited by bftskir on January 01, 2009)

Old     (kitewake)      Join Date: Jul 2007       01-02-2009, 2:07 AM Reply   
If your infant child tried to walk for the 1st time and fell over....would you tell him/her...that's it...forget it...you will never walk? Hell no. Man up bro. If it were easy...there would be no satisfaction.
Old     (kko13)      Join Date: Jul 2006       01-02-2009, 5:17 AM Reply   
andy how old are you and where do you live?
i dont go out much in the cold but once it starts to warm up i can get you out on the boat and get you up on the board. most of my crew are newbs (including me) so you will fit right in. this is my first full season of wakeboarding i suck but i love it. EVERYBODY FALLS!!! I bet my neighbor chick fell the first 15-20 times until she got the hang of it. my wife still has not got up but she tries every time out until she gets to tired but she will make it up this year. i am also hopeful to get my 8yr old daughter up this year as well. you have to be willing to fall and get back on its the only way to learn. once you get up you will laugh at how easy it is and you will be able to do it every time.

(Message edited by kko13 on January 02, 2009)
Old     (kasumi)      Join Date: May 2007       01-02-2009, 5:29 AM Reply   
Ok I am over the moping. I know everyone sucks at first but when your a noob with onlookers man it is not a good feeling at all.

KKO-21 - tampa

I am going to start off in the pool like someone recommended. I am shopping around for a used board. What size do you guys recommend for me I am 5'7 147 and anything I should look for especially buying used?
Old     (colombiansurfer)      Join Date: Sep 2008       01-02-2009, 6:15 AM Reply   
Andy, true story. Wanted to get out there faster, but everyone said no. BTW, I still suck today as I did back then. But I have fun!
Old     (lovin_the_wake)      Join Date: Jul 2007       01-02-2009, 7:19 AM Reply   
Dude for real you can't just give up maybe try something else grab a wakeskate and try that $h|t out anything is better than giving up
Old     (jaybee)      Join Date: Aug 2007       01-02-2009, 9:55 AM Reply   
Andy - I would be glad to take ya out to try and get ya up. I am Possibly going out this afternoon so if you are interested, just PM me.
Old     (helix_rider)      Join Date: Mar 2003       01-02-2009, 10:00 AM Reply   
Andy...IMO you'll want something in the 134-136 range for board length. I actually prefer my boards a little longer, so you could easily push that # up to 140, but most will tell you to wait on that.

There are so many deals right now, on boardersbestbuy.com and anothersmokindeal.com and ebay...if it were me, I wouldn't buy used unless I was getting it from a trusted friend (or dirt cheap).
Old     (snowman89)      Join Date: Mar 2007       01-02-2009, 10:02 AM Reply   
Andy I learned to wakeboard behind the boat and I didn't even get up the first time I went to the lake with my friends and not to mention it was behind a boat full of girls my age and a couple of guys who I thought were good at wakeboarding at the time.

The most embarrassing part about the whole experience was that all the girls tried wakeboarding for the first time that day and every single one of them got up. I was the only one who didn't get up.

But I kept with it and now I am a much more solid rider than those guys who taught me and not to mention it's my favorite thing to do in the world now and me and my dad even got a boat this last summer.

And also understand the cable is one of the most intimidating places for wakeboarding, people watching, a forced dock start with a nervous anticipation waiting for the pulley, hard jerking corners, 6 year old kids out their ripping. It's scary and it's normal for people to fall alot learning the start even when they've already wakeboarded before.

Stay with it dude. And as far as boards go get the medium sized board of the three sizes they offer in each model, anywhere from a 136-139. I would also look at package deals with the hyperlite motive or the liquid force trip, both are cheap boards and are some of the greatest shapes still to this day.
Old     (byrd)      Join Date: Dec 2005       01-02-2009, 3:55 PM Reply   
Andy, I live in Winter Haven. If you can throw in some $$ for Gas and frosty beverages, if you are old enough, I'll get you wakeboarding w/ no pressure. I have a few boards that you can try as well. If you can follow directions and sack up for it, which has nothing to do with weight, I'll have you up in no time. Let me know if you are interested.

Byrd
Old     (otown_dave)      Join Date: Dec 2007       01-02-2009, 4:17 PM Reply   
Or if you make it to orlando we have a spot for you,No money we ride for fun.. Small wake & U'll have fun watching my 9y/o ride

(Message edited by otown_dave on January 02, 2009)
Old     (otown_dave)      Join Date: Dec 2007       01-02-2009, 7:28 PM Reply   
I hated water growing up & never learned to swim well. About 2 years ago my father in law buys a 78 ski nautique to relive his trick ski days so he tells me to look for ski stuff cheap. I find a O'Brien Buzz & he asks me what is it? "Some ski I think". It sits for a month or so until my 7 y/o said that he wanted to try riding it. Put some boots on it ,got into the water with him & hand pulled him up a few times. When we tried behind the boat a few time & he just popped up ! My brother in law had a wake skate & I just had to try what my son was having fun at. I tried to get up with a ski rope about 15 times or so. as I was tiring to get up water sprayed in my eyes & I just stood up to get out of the spray & I was up, I did not know how it happened but I was riding! I was hooked after that & went bought a smaller wakeboard for my son & one for me.I had been riding about 6 months when I tried the cable & it took about three tries to get up there so it is harder at a cable park.
Old     (rnopr8)      Join Date: Apr 2005       01-02-2009, 7:39 PM Reply   
Andy....you can't give up that easily. I started riding at age 49. Don't let an old lady show you up man!
Old     (westsiderippa)      Join Date: Dec 2006       01-02-2009, 7:44 PM Reply   
andy, not to get to personal but what are you scared of? is it the water itself or the fear of crashing etc... if its fear of the water that has you stumped then you should really take that serious. i was born and raised in the ocean and delta so its hard for me to grasp what people fear. can you swim? that is a serious question. i second the pool idea and possibly swim leasson's. im not trying to be a d--k here just trying to help. but if its not fear of water then i would say suck it up and get behind a boat. and ride till yours arms fall off!!! save the cable for later. also, buy a skate board and get on it every day. go carve around an learn how to go sideways. like others, i have been riding a skate since i could walk. going sideways on a board is more comfturble than walking for myself. again i dont know your history but nothing is impossible. if you want it bad enough you will make it happen.
Old     (kasumi)      Join Date: May 2007       01-02-2009, 8:50 PM Reply   
Don't worry guys I am going to stick with it. Enough of my damn whining!

Byrd and David I will definitely take you guys up on that offer when I am ready and cannot find someone locally

Bryan- Haha, once I reached the dock the cable guy asked me if I could swim and I said "No". Actually I hadn't been in the water since I was a kid and that was my first issue before going. I wasn't sure if it would come back to me. When I crashed my instinct was to slip my feet from the boots like I saw someone else do. That was not so easy they were pretty snug. So the guy then told me to swim back with them on. Again, I thought to flip over but how could I with the board. I have no clue how to back stroke.

So yeah I definitely want to get use to the gear in the water before I ever attempt again. The look on every ones face as I floated in the lake was just...

(Message edited by kasumi on January 02, 2009)
Old     (wakerider111)      Join Date: Jul 2006       01-02-2009, 8:53 PM Reply   
get a second rope and board and have someone (experienced) ride along with you. it will give you confidence, an example to follow, and someone within arms length to help you with maneuvering the board after a wreck if necessary.
This method has yet to fail for me. works wonders, and it is funner for the teacher too

p.s. have the boat driver go very slow so you can watch and listen to the rider/teacher beside you, then when you get a hang of "the feeling" gradually speed up till your up and wakeboarding!
Old     (bftskir)      Join Date: Jan 2004       01-02-2009, 9:25 PM Reply   
Hey Andy,
You aren't kidding are you? no swimming?
spend some time just swimming, you must know how to swim, even take lessons if you really do not know how to swim. That explains alot of why you felt overwhelmed. Swimming, and just being able to swim will get you much more comfortable in the water. It will do wonders for your confidence on the water. I have a friend who never learned to swim and he won't set foot in the boat no matter how many times I asked. I guess I was lucky to have learned to swim very young. I've swam all my life so its just second nature. Being a strong swimmer is not necessary for wakeboarding but being comfortable in and with the water is. Never under estimate the danger of water. A vest is a must wear item and if you can get a barefoot wetsuit to use it'll float you like a cork and has padding built in so when you crash it won't hurt and you'll float easily. plus it won't let water get forced into places it should not be.

I think the swimming thing is your whole problem.
Old     (1boarder_kevin)      Join Date: Mar 2007       01-03-2009, 9:28 AM Reply   
I agree with swimming. You can't learn how to wakeboard if you are worried about not drowning. Breathing is a high priority. Spend some time getting comfortable in the water. Then later, put the board on and practice turning over by spinning your upper body and arms and your feet will follow. Once you get to this point, things will get eaiser.

This sport isn't about kicking people, it is about having fun. Don't wory about the negative people. Break it down into steps that you can handle one at a time.
Old     (otown_dave)      Join Date: Dec 2007       01-03-2009, 10:22 AM Reply   
I still suck at swimming & still hate water in my eyes , But with a vest on I'm a regular Michael Phelps out there You have not even made it to the face plant portion of the tour. After a few of those you'll be on a first name basis with water & u'll love your vest. It's ALL FUN!!
Old     (wakerider111)      Join Date: Jul 2006       01-03-2009, 7:51 PM Reply   
little tangent, but i must share,

my family had a guy on the boat and we gave him this older cheap life vest (the ones that are open on the sides with only the straps going around under the arms) He jumped in the lake and the vest went up over his head a bit when the straps caught under his arms. He absolutely FREAKED! turned out he did not know how to swim and was embarrassed to tell us. he thought he was gona slip out of the vest. he had also been boating before i think so was already somewhat experienced with boats and such that he felt it was ok to not tell us the whole spill.

never be embarrassed about swimming or anything that you don't know.
Old     (bftskir)      Join Date: Jan 2004       01-03-2009, 8:20 PM Reply   
another tangent but related
when I was about 17 we were up at the local lake swinging on a rope swing havin a good old time when my GF's friend gets up on the platform in the tree and kinda freezes, we all egg her on and tell her to just swing(it was on a platform in a tree up about 20 ft from waters egde with ragged rocky bank just below so you had to swing out to hit the water) she just leans out with a slack rope and "dives" rope rips out of her hands she goes face first into the rocks ragdolls the next 15 ft over the dirt roots and rocks and lands almost in my GF's arms who pulled her out of the water, we all ran down, her face was messed up her side(she was in a bikini) was scrapped and had holes including a punctured lung on side of her boob...it was a bad scene, we facilitated a rescue with the help of some firemen and loaded her in a litter(i was underwater supporting the litter and thought I was gonna drown) flagged down a boat and raced her to the dock(we were way in the back) at the ramp to a waiting ambulance, she spent 3 weeks in the hospital. I never egged anyone on to do anything unless we were sure they were at the very least capable and motivated to do "it" themselves...so don't use peer pressure to push people to do anything dangerous it can end really badly, I still get choked up just thinking about her and that day. we never knew where those firemen came from although there was a station across the lake(Lexington Reservoir/Hwy 17 out of Los Gatos) how they got there I don't know they were just there all of a sudden when we needed them.

It was definitely an epic FAIL!

(Message edited by bftskir on January 03, 2009)